Why become a member? ×

Do I or Dont I? HELP

rockinbassman

I certainly would. If you have the time off work, make a weekend of it and see the city, or just settle in for a nice chilled out cruise. Much better than postage, and less daunting than it sounds. I have just come back from Sweden where you drive for a whole day before seeing another house. It is amazing how small our little island is, in the grand scheme of things. Of course there are less people in the way over there though...

Get a stack of CDs ready and go for it my son.

ped

700 mile round trip, that's a lot of diesel/petrol especially at today's prices. If cash isn't an issue, then go for it. I lived in Newcastle for four years and reckon it's one of the best cities in the UK. Do some google work and get on.

Edited by Sean

I quite like driving to a place I've never been before to pick up a new piece of gear - if you really want the rig and you have the time then make a weekend road trip of it. Do you know anyone in between you can visit/crash with?

[quote name='rockinbassman' post='187593' date='Apr 28 2008, 09:06 PM']Right, im really after the lightweight GK rig in the for sale forum, do I drive from Brighton to Newcastle to get it!!!???[/quote]
Yes, without a doubt. Seriously, if I was in any position to get this rig I would race you up the M1 for it. Though the head gasket would probably blow before I got to the A23. And then I'd run up.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='dlloyd' post='187631' date='Apr 28 2008, 09:56 PM']Doesn't have time to prepare it for courier? For a combo and extension of that size, we're talking about an hour of wrapping them in bubble wrap, old cardboard boxes and parcel tape.

Sure, do the trip, but make sure you negotiate £50 off the price to make it worth your while.[/quote]

Personally, if I was selling something like that, there's no way I'd have time to pack it in a way which would ensure it wasn't a box of splinters upon arrival. Time is tighter for some people than others.

Come and see Newcastle, Rockin. It's FAB.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='187649' date='Apr 28 2008, 10:20 PM']Make sure you do a sh1t load of speed.[/quote]

It'll get him there quicker, but cost alot more in fuel :).

You should drive at about 70 but have your car in its top gear, if you got 6 and its a deasiel you could make it on one tank, that will involve alot of coasting to junctions.
Though if I had a car, I would drive up there, I'll take a friend aswell to keep company.

He's not 'in effect charging 120 quid to ship it'. He's just politely saying that he's not willing to post them.

He quite clearly says 'collection only', which he's perfectly entitled to do. It's something that happens here and on eBay all the time. What's the problem? When did the rules change?

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='187744' date='Apr 29 2008, 02:02 AM']He's not 'in effect charging 120 quid to ship it'. He's just politely saying that he's not willing to post them.

He quite clearly says 'collection only', which he's perfectly entitled to do. It's something that happens here and on eBay all the time. What's the problem? When did the rules change?[/quote]

Nothing... I can totally understand as I said, im sure I have done it before!!! The last thing I wanted to do is start a slagging match about a fellow BC'er... just wanted some friendly advice!!

Edited by rockinbassman

[quote name='rockinbassman' post='187746' date='Apr 29 2008, 02:12 AM']...just wanted some friendly advice!![/quote]
Get in the car and drive. Stop at cashpoint, buy rig, get leathered, kip, drive back, show new rig off to jealous mates / BC'ers while grinning like a [s]w***ing Jap[/s] sorry, a Cheshire cat. I'll get to one of the George gigs to see it too!

Edited by johnnylager

I did nearly the same trip to pick up an amp and cab my son had bought on my eBay account whilst I was away on business a couple of years back- that is bought with my knowledge, but omitting to tell me it was collection only :)

Took me all day, a tank of diesel and a couple of service breaks for a doze.

It is possible, but I can't say I'd want to do it again. Still if you are up for the amp and willing to do the drive go for it.

[quote name='rockinbassman' post='187746' date='Apr 29 2008, 02:12 AM']Nothing... I can totally understand as I said, im sure I have done it before!!! The last thing I wanted to do is start a slagging match about a fellow BC'er... just wanted some friendly advice!![/quote]

Not aimed at you, Rockin! I was referring to Dlloyd. My fault for not quoting.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='187821' date='Apr 29 2008, 09:40 AM']I think you've misunderstood me. At no point did I try to imply that the seller is 'in effect charging £120 quid to ship it'. Rather that the OP of [i]this[/i] thread is asking whether he should pay that amount. I think it's a lot on top of the asking price and I'd try to negotiate the price to make it more financially worthwhile (that is, unless the asking price is low enough to offset the extra outlay in the first place).[/quote]

I have indeed, and I apologise.

Go on do the road trip!

Newcastle is a great city. Locals are great. I try to get down at least once a year :)

I would suggest doing the whole thing though, leave early morning say around 5am, take some time out to enjoy the city, pick up your amp/cab and travel home.

This would cost me around £70 for a 700 mile journey. If you want the amp/cab and its a real good price taking into account your costs - do it.

andy

Is this gear worth the price plus the petrol money? How much value do you put on your time? Be realistic, is it really worth it? Bass gear is like busses.... there'll be another 2 along in a minute, and it's only GK, they pop up all the time.
If you add the cost of the trip to your budget you could probably buy a bigger and better rig. I'd wait.

[quote name='chris_b' post='187853' date='Apr 29 2008, 10:18 AM']Is this gear worth the price plus the petrol money? How much value do you put on your time? Be realistic, is it really worth it? Bass gear is like busses.... there'll be another 2 along in a minute, and it's only GK, they pop up all the time.
If you add the cost of the trip to your budget you could probably buy a bigger and better rig. I'd wait.[/quote]

I was thinking about this last night. I realised that actually if a piece of gear came up that was so far away, personally I think I would leave it. Like Chris says, I guess it is a fairly common piece of kit and might not represent such good value with the drive involved. If you wanted and are able to make a short 'city break' of it then that might be worthwhile.

Otherwise, if the seller cannot arrange a courier, you can do it your end. You can book a collection on a date you specify (possibly a time slot also). You might also consider using a private courier service, i.e a man with a van. It might cost a bit more than driving, but you never know. Even if it does, you can sit on your arse all day.

Trick one. What is the situation RE missing work?