Why become a member? ×

sfx Micro Thumpinator first impressions

eddiehoffmann

Hi guys!

For those of you who don't know what a Micro Thumpinator is, here's what the sfx site says:

[b]The Thumpinator is a bandwidth optimizer designed for bass guitar. It removes the low frequency signals that are outside the range of notes produced by bass guitars.[/b]
[b]Subsonic frequencies cannot be reproduced by standard bass cabinets but they often make amplifiers clip especially when they are set to boost the lower frequencies. The Thumpinator filters the signal content optimising the energy delivered by the amplifier. Low frequency clip is substantially reduced and the sound is tighter especially at high volume levels. The Micro Thumpinator uses the same filter as the Thumpinator, but uses unbalanced input/output.[/b]

I just got myself a Micro Thumpinator from sfx and I couldn't be happier about it. So happy I wrote to Max at sfx today to give him my first impressions after one gig. Here's what I wrote to Max and I thought I might share it with you guys...

[b]"Hi Max,[/b]

[b]Just writing to you to give you my first impressions on the Micro Thumpinator. Got it Saturday morning, put it on my pedal board straight away and used it that same night. Man... How did I live without this little device for so long? I mean, I used to have the filter switches on my QSC power amp but, don't know why, they didn't work as well as the MT. I'm putting the MT first thing on my signal chain followed by my Aguilar TLC comp. Best combination ever. The compressor works better now, all the other effects (drive, octave and envelope filters) also respond better. Never loved my Bass Balls and my Bass Synth Wah so much. And, without any effects, just the MT and the compressor, I got the punchier P-Bass sound ever now. The drummer I play with, who's a good friend of mine and also a wicked sound engineer, came straight to me after the first set and made huge compliments on my sound. Like how he never heard my bass so clear in the mix and how great it sounded. I showed him the little fella and he was impressed. We did a little A-B'ing after the gig (with and without MT) and what a difference it makes. I was about to change my strings because my E was sounding a bit dull. Not anymore... My E string is back to life. This little thing is magical man. I'm glad I bumped into it and into SFX. Will be getting more stuff from you soon."[/b]

By the way, my rig is '77 P-Bass (with Status Premium Rounds), Ashdown Spyder 550 and Barefaced Super 12. This rig always sounded great, but never as good as this last Saturday. I definitely recommend you guys to give this baby a try. I'm sure you'll love it.

Cheers,

Eddie

I for one love mine.

It's interesting that you're using a similar rig to me and your observations are also similar (I'm usually using a P-bass variant or Stingray into a Spyder 550 into a pair of Aguilar DB112s). The MT is an amazing little box, an indispensable piece of kit on my board.

got mine in the post on saturday (after being posted on friday, nice one max! :)) just had a quick 5 minute play with it, and the difference in speaker movement is amazing. I go for an SVT type sound, and the low end seems tighter and much more defined. I am a very happy person :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1344974867' post='1771973']
I've been umm and ahh-Ing about these for ages... Always been worried that I would lose something from my low A... also, if I used The octaver on my Zoom B3 after it, that would probably reintroduce the frequencies I had removed with the thumpinator!
[/quote]

I would recommend trying it first if you can. Although they'll sell again easily, when we were A/Bing it at a bassbash we could hear a difference and I decided it wasn't for me. In a mix it may be a different matter mind!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1345032822' post='1772575']
I would recommend trying it first if you can. Although they'll sell again easily, when we were A/Bing it at a bassbash we could hear a difference and I decided it wasn't for me. In a mix it may be a different matter mind!
[/quote]
also some amps/preamps etc already have similar things built in....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345241645' post='1775611']
[/quote]

I think I read somewhere that Mark Bass amps have a similar thing built in, I can't see anything about it in the hand book though.

• 4 years later...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345241645' post='1775611']
[/quote]

I discussed my MT with Martin at MJW when he was building my Taranis head (similar to a Matamp GT200 or Orange AD200) and he said that there was similar circuitry in my Taranis. When A/B tested with and without the MT, I get a better sound with the MT. I have it first in my signal chain and it's as important for me as my tuner.