Why become a member? ×

WD40 to clean neck + strings - fundamentally good or bad idea?

growse

I've not been cleaning my neck as much as I should have been recently, and the crud is starting to build up. A friend of mine said he knew someone who used WD40 to clean the neck and the strings, and the crud would "come right off". I'm thinking that this might not be the best idea in the world, but it could equally be a valuable time saver.

So what's the verdict - immensly good or bad idea?

WD-40 is good for phenolic fingerboards, but I wouldn't have thought it's good for wood... Clean the neck by hand and then rub some lemon-oil or similar product into the grain. Regarding the strings, if they're cruddy - they're probably old enough to need replaced.

Wouldn't recommend WD40 for wood. I think it might tend to dry the wood out. Plus that WD40 smell lingers forever and it wouldn't do the skin on your fingers much good.

If it's an untreated wood fingerboard (i.e. rosewood) then get some lemon oil. It's a varnished maple board then just use a furniture cleaner like Mr. Sheen.

As for strings - if you wipe them down with a cloth after you play that'll keep them clean. If they're so cruddy that a wipe doesn't work then they probably need replaced.

I've read that it's a terrible idea, because it contains all sorts of nasty glue-dissolving solvents. However, I have tried it myself....

Wouldn't think it would cause drying out - it's a lubricant after all, presumably once the solvents evaporate the oily residue's left over.

Lemming oil smells nicer, though. :)

Jon.

Hmmm, wouldnt have thought that WD-40 was an ideal thing to use, full stop.

1) It is a water displacement product so it`s going to dry out any unsealed wood if used in the long term.

2) Main ingredients, from the material safety data sheet, are:
50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, also commonly known as dry cleaning solvent)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients

Wouldnt like to think what any solvent would do to varnished finishes etc.

If you're dealing with nitro-cellulose finishes, try the [i]Brasso[/i] cotton wadding (not liquid [i]Brasso[/i] - too abrasive).

This isn't a joke ... I use it on my vintage Hofners when I first get them, and they're usually seriously crudded up.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='19457' date='Jun 18 2007, 08:27 AM']If you're dealing with nitro-cellulose finishes, try the [i]Brasso[/i] cotton wadding (not liquid [i]Brasso[/i] - too abrasive).

This isn't a joke ... I use it on my vintage Hofners when I first get them, and they're usually seriously crudded up.[/quote]
On fingerboards? Wouldn't that leave a white residue in the grain?

I use Brasso on light abrasions on lacquer - polishes out a lot of hairline scratches, kind of like T-cut on a car.

J.

[quote name='growse' post='19367' date='Jun 17 2007, 10:56 PM']I've not been cleaning my neck as much as I should have been recently, and the crud is starting to build up. A friend of mine said he knew someone who used WD40 to clean the neck and the strings, and the crud would "come right off". I'm thinking that this might not be the best idea in the world, but it could equally be a valuable time saver.[/quote]

I play with a guitarist who uses WD40 before and after every gig. Just spray on a cloth and clean the strings.

I don't get "crud building up", maybe because I start the gig with clean hands. I don't really find I need to clean the strings that much, either, but I clean the bass with either Dunlop 65 or ordinary bees wax furniture polish.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='19584' date='Jun 18 2007, 01:05 PM']On fingerboards? Wouldn't that leave a white residue in the grain?

I use Brasso on light abrasions on lacquer - polishes out a lot of hairline scratches, kind of like T-cut on a car.

J.[/quote]

Not on the fingerboard, Jon, just the nitro-cellulose bits. I use lemon oil (and very seldom, too) on ebony or rosewood.

I wouldn't recommend using [i]Brasso[/i] on a frequent or regular basis, just for that once-in-a blue-moon clear-off-loads-of-crud type clean.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='19734' date='Jun 18 2007, 05:08 PM']Not on the fingerboard, Jon, just the nitro-cellulose bits. I use lemon oil (and very seldom, too) on ebony or rosewood.

I wouldn't recommend using [i]Brasso[/i] on a frequent or regular basis, just for that once-in-a blue-moon clear-off-loads-of-crud type clean.[/quote]

+ lemon oil for the woody bits

Use actual T Cut and car polish like MER on the shiny polished bits - occasionally.
It works fine on modern bass coatings.

Also Planet Waves make a "mirror finish" spray for guitars which is really good too .. Not that good on the car though ...
:)

I always use pledge, cleans the muck off and always leaves the fingerboard smelling nice.
also using brasso gets the frets looking all nice and shiney and if you really want to make the grain of the wood stand out (if you have a rosewoodneck) try colron liquid wax for dark woods.
While i,m on the subject try out some of the "Liberon" products like finishing oil to get your woods looking lovely, obviously this only works on unfinished wood.
I,ve got a shedfull of this stuff as I used to build guitars a lot a few years ago and stuff like the Liberon products are usually found in woodworking shops and are usually well kept secrets with woodworkers.

I play my bass (mexican jazz) very regularly, and have had it for 6 years. The back of the neck has bald spots where it's been played so much. Unfortuantly my hands sweat bucket loads, even if I'm just practicing in my bedroom. This has lead to the neck being constantly sticky, and consequently, making my hands sweat and making it worse! I've tried wood polish, WD40 (!), and even rubbed talcum powder into it, but nothings working!!
Anyone have the same problem, and any advice?

matt s.

[quote name='matt s.' post='20308' date='Jun 19 2007, 05:36 PM']I play my bass (mexican jazz) very regularly, and have had it for 6 years. The back of the neck has bald spots where it's been played so much. Unfortuantly my hands sweat bucket loads, even if I'm just practicing in my bedroom. This has lead to the neck being constantly sticky, and consequently, making my hands sweat and making it worse! I've tried wood polish, WD40 (!), and even rubbed talcum powder into it, but nothings working!!
Anyone have the same problem, and any advice?

matt s.[/quote]

Try using some Warwick wax on it - you'll have to do little and often but the resluts should be what you're looking for. Anyone concur?

[quote name='Sean' post='20430' date='Jun 19 2007, 09:16 PM']the resluts should be what you're looking for. Anyone concur?[/quote]

Blige! I dated a few of the Resluts in the 80's .. They arn't still around are they?
:)

Edited by OldGit

MB1. :)

Yeah Baby! invite me to your gig and involantary light show!wd 40 is highly immflamable,it also gets rid of grease and oils including those on ,and in your fingers.it also smells and if you put it on your bass, and then put the bass in your case(case ruined, will smell for ages) and you and your bass will probably smell like the local hardware store.I personally would not advise this,use warwick wax,or lemon oil,or guitar cleaner,at least youll have someone to sue, if it doesnt do what it says on the tin.Smoking is never advisable near wd40,or anything soaked in it.

MB1.