Why become a member? ×

P Bass Wiring Help required

Paddymick

Morning all.

I am resurrecting an old P-Bass copy. When plugged in it buzzes like crazy and the tone pot doesn't sound like it's working.

I've opened it up and the capacitor attached to the tone pot isn't attached to anything at the other end.

I've looked at a lot of wiring diagrams it appears to be 50/50 whether the cap should be attached the body of the tone pot or linked to the volume pot. Any ideas which is right?

The cap is marked 1H 104K

I know this might not solve the issue, but I thought it was best to start with the thing that's obviously bust.

Or should I just get a new wiring kit and have done with it?

[quote name='Paddymick' timestamp='1344492785' post='1765286']

I've looked at a lot of wiring diagrams it appears to be 50/50 whether the cap should be attached the body of the tone pot or linked to the volume pot. Any ideas which is right?

[/quote]

Both are right, there are a couple of ways to do it but it is more common to have the version where it is linked to the tone pots casing.

+ 1 to the guys saying to check your earths. If you can get the buzz to disappear by touching metal then that's a good indication that you have a bad earth.