Why become a member? ×

A (strange) question about Gig bags

Cygnus x-1

A friend of mine asked me this question today and I had to admit I have no clue to the reason.

..........He bought a used pretty cheap no name Jazz about a year and a half ago, it came with a nice black canvas padded gig bag from the seller. After a few months he noticed the chrome on the bass tarnishing, nothing too serious but losing it's shine all tne same.

Anyway about 4 months ago, he traded the no name in for a Squier CV jazz, he kept the gig bag, so the Squier has lived in it since new. Now he's noticed the chrome on the CV is starting to tarnish aswell, again nothing serious but tarnishing. The gig bag is clean inside and out, immaculate condition, doesn't smell or anything, just an ordinary gig bag, I would have no problem using it.

My mate asked me if I thought it was just a coincidence or could the gig bag be possibly causing the tarnishing? anybody have any idea?

cheers.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1344453411' post='1764888']
The above, but is it possible that the inside of the gigbag is acrylic fabric and not as smooth as it should be? In that case it would cause some wear, like a very fine sheet of sandpaper, when the bass moves inside the bag.

Is the tarnishing localised, or equally evident all over?
[/quote]

Bridge and control plate mainly on the CV although on his cheap jazz the bridge and control plate and tops of the 3 knobs were I think tarnished. He says he cleans his bass after use, he doesn't play a lot of gigs and is not a 'mover' wouldn't have thought a lot of sweat.

I'm surprised the gig bag hasn't lost a strap and sent his bass crashing to the floor. This happened with two gig bags that I bought on separate occasions years apart from stores that were in no way connected.

Gig bags are EVIL, get a proper hard case. I tell you, Gig bags are EVIL! :angry:

Not an issue I've ever encountered, but mine get stored/transported in a variety of containers, so no one bass stays in a particular case for very long.
At a slight tangent, does anyone know what the short webbing strap at the very top of Warwick gig bags is for? (it's approximately behind the headstock..) It seems over-engineered for a simple bag hanger...

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1344502834' post='1765423']
Gig bags are EVIL, get a proper hard case. I tell you, Gig bags are EVIL! :angry:
[/quote]

The right case for the right job. Hard cases a great for protecting your bass, but not much use if you need to walk 3 miles while carrying it.

Possible that there is some PVAcetate adhesive or PVC used in the construction of the bag which could slowly be giving off some acidic fumes as it/they decompose with age.
I've got a very old no name hard case which used to give off a vinegar (acetic acid) type smell when it was opened now and again.
Traced the problem to the adhesive on the lining.
Left it open outdoors in the sunshine for a few days and the problem disappeared.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344454516' post='1764921']
It is possibly a chemical in the lining. Brass players get this sometimes and their cases are often advertised as tarnish resistant.
[/quote]
This. It's the acetone from the dye. Vapours can around for years if the canvas isn't properly aired and dried before the bag is manufactured.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1344503347' post='1765436']
At a slight tangent, does anyone know what the short webbing strap at the very top of Warwick gig bags is for? (it's approximately behind the headstock..) It seems over-engineered for a simple bag hanger...
[/quote]
It's a simple bag hanger. :D

Edited by mckendrick