Why become a member? ×

Best Combo for a Musicman ????

chrisgil

Cliche'd and tripe, but the best combo would be the one that sounds best to your ears.

Everyone on here will just offer details of brands to try out, and offer a definitive cab to try with it, as it's subjective, for instance, some people hate the Ashdown cabs, others love them, same goes for Trace stuff and pretty much anything else.

[quote name='chrisgil' post='19363' date='Jun 17 2007, 10:53 PM']Whats the best bass combo to get the best out of a Musicman Stingray (3eq)

I love that quality, round, punchy bass sound of a musicman and am after a combo that gets the best out of it.

Any advice would be great.[/quote]

Best pop into a good bass dealer to see what they have, and how your Ray sounds through them. Have a play with one of these [url="http://ampeg.com/products/diamondbluebass/b15r/index.html"]Ampeg combo[/url]

Hamster

If weight was no problem, a Mesa Boogie Buster 200 combo would worth some attention, they do pop up on Ebay occasionally. Alternatively, anything with all valve construction (eg. Trace Elliot Twin/V4 combo?) would do the job also.

Yep-LOVELY AMP Hamster.... But IMHO these days-apart from the "cool" factor of having a B15- U R probly better off with a V4BH(the 100w tube amp from the B15 IS pretty similar apparently- some've said virtually the same) & a SVT15 cab-or a cuppla cabs...= FAR more conveniant-THAT B15 is not only EXPENSIVE but it weighs 117lbs & is hard to lift- & it's a tube amp-so U don't wanna go thumpin it round too much! IMHO-V4BH @ about 40lbs & a good cab(I use my EV 1x15" when I want the B15 vibe....& the NV610 when I want the SVT 810 vibe!!!!!!!!!! ;-) = a much better option.

[quote name='rodl2005' post='19484' date='Jun 18 2007, 09:53 AM']Yep-LOVELY AMP Hamster.... But IMHO these days-apart from the "cool" factor of having a B15- U R probly better off with a V4BH(the 100w tube amp from the B15 IS pretty similar apparently- some've said virtually the same) & a SVT15 cab-or a cuppla cabs...= FAR more conveniant-THAT B15 is not only EXPENSIVE but it weighs 117lbs & is hard to lift- & it's a tube amp-so U don't wanna go thumpin it round too much! IMHO-V4BH @ about 40lbs & a good cab(I use my EV 1x15" when I want the B15 vibe....& the NV610 when I want the SVT 810 vibe!!!!!!!!!! ;-) = a much better option.[/quote]

I agree about the V4BH + cab, but Chris is after a combo which considerably narrows the field :)

CK suggests a couple of good ideas, but they don't pop up too often (law of s.o.d. will apply from this post onwards! :huh:)

Hamster

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='19483' date='Jun 18 2007, 09:52 AM']If weight was no problem, a Mesa Boogie Buster 200 combo would worth some attention, they do pop up on Ebay occasionally. Alternatively, anything with all valve construction (eg. Trace Elliot Twin/V4 combo?) would do the job also.[/quote]

I should qualify what I'm saying by stating that I own two preEB Musicman basses and I own both valve and solid state amps.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='19586' date='Jun 18 2007, 01:07 PM']Might be useful to know whether it will be used in your bedroom or Wembly Stadium as well.[/quote]

somewhere in between wembley and my bedroom

Its for medium to large gigs,
money is no object, and im not totally against a seperate amp and cab, its just I have never had the same quality that I had with the warick combo I had.
I have had an Eden Rig, Ashdown Rig, probably some others that I cant even remember, and they have never been as nice as the Warwick CCL210. It just didnt have enough power for them bigger gigs.

I have thought about getting a 6x10 cab and seperate amp but the cabs generally dont come up on ebay, and I dont think its worth buying geat brand new

[quote name='Paul_C' post='19837' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:34 PM']the EB Musicman forum, CEO, and myself (Bongo) recommend Markbass amps (mine's plugged into an Accugroove cab)[/quote]

Oh yes... I love boosting the VPF filter on it. Great slap thump. :)

[quote name='Muppet' post='20183' date='Jun 19 2007, 01:45 PM']Great sound - Stingray and SWR Super Redhead. Not that I have either anymore. :)[/quote]

REALLY?

thats one of the ones I had my eye on.
Wouldnt mind trying it out somewhere but I doubt anywhere will have one in.

p.s. I would never go to the Bass Celler
They are a miserable bunch of w@nkers that work there

[quote name='chrisgil' post='20354' date='Jun 19 2007, 07:13 PM']REALLY?

They are a miserable bunch of w@nkers that work there[/quote]

Well, I think so from my experience, though that're not light by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know if any member currently has one, but it's worth asking, maybe?

[quote name='chrisgil' post='20354' date='Jun 19 2007, 07:13 PM']REALLY?

They are a miserable bunch of w@nkers that work there[/quote]

yeah i know what ya mean, if the young lady is still there then she's cool but the others, phff we've been there before so i won't go over old ground. it's good to look in but too expensive to buy from