Why become a member? ×

Moderator changes

Kiwi

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1344537234' post='1766227']
The memories will haunt me forever...

You weren't there maaaan, you weren't there...
[/quote]

You've not seen the footage go up on YouTube yet then?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1344551466' post='1766462']
You've not seen the footage go up on YouTube yet then?
[/quote]

[b][color=#ff0000]TOP SECRET[/color][/b]

Dood,
Whatever you do don't let on to charic that we made up that part of the initiation ceremony involving the radishes!
He'll go bananas if he finds out.

P.S. - Are you sure this button makes the message top secret...?

:P

[quote name='jonsebass' timestamp='1344550925' post='1766447']
If you guys are looking for someone to help with design/development, ive had some experience in designing and maintaining websites from every stage, so id be willing to help if needed.
[/quote]

That may be very useful - thanks, I'll make a note of it!

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1344552082' post='1766474']

[b][color=#ff0000]TOP SECRET[/color][/b]

Dood,
Whatever you do don't let on to charic that we made up that part of the initiation ceremony involving the radishes!
He'll go bananas if he finds out.

P.S. - Are you sure this button makes the message top secret...?

:P
[/quote]

Bananas too? We weren't gonna mention those...

[quote name='jonsebass' timestamp='1344550925' post='1766447']
If you guys are looking for someone to help with design/development, ive had some experience in designing and maintaining websites from every stage, so id be willing to help if needed.
[/quote]
Thanks jonsebass!

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1344536088' post='1766207']
How does Basschat go about appointing new moderators? Do members put themselves forward, or do you approach members privately? Has there been a vote that I've missed?
[/quote]
Hi Billy, the initial selection is done on the basis of recommendations by the moderators and admin, although in the past we've sometimes advertised as well. A short list drawn up on the basis of discussion and consensus and final appointment made by the admins depending on whether those approached are willing or have the time.

Criteria for being approached can include:[list]
[*]Good standing in the community (i.e. are respected)
[*]Good standing with the other moderators (i.e. no warnings)
[*]Have been an active part of the community over an extended period of time (because modding needs a little committment)
[/list]

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1344555898' post='1766533']
Well, they've not reappeared..,
[/quote]

Reappeared this morning... The bananas were bad... how are those pomegranates coming along Icastle? The blackberries still on the vine Gust0o?

I heard dood got a aubergine :yarr:

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1344557420' post='1766541']
[*]Have been an active part of the community over an extended period of time (because modding needs a little committment)
[*]Are in possession of large wads of used fivers
[/list]
[/quote]

Fixed.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1344557420' post='1766541']

Thanks jonsebass!

Hi Billy, the initial selection is done on the basis of recommendations by the moderators and admin, although in the past we've sometimes advertised as well. A short list drawn up on the basis of discussion and consensus and final appointment made by the admins depending on whether those approached are willing or have the time.

[/list]
[/quote] Installing so many new Mods will have an impact on the dynamic of the site. It's a shame you didnt open your short-lists up for vote by the BC commutity as a whole. It's the members who make BC what it is, and this member feels this has been elitist and undemocratic. I also have no care for drummers and guitarists. I think it will dilute the brand, and de-value members. But, I suppose it's a business like anything else, although I belive you run the risk of loosing the community, and I think this has been evidenced elsewhere.

I think guitarchat and drumchat are different forums rather than an extension of this one.

So the communities would crossover in places but for the most part be seperate (some people may be on more than one forum).

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1344600351' post='1766908']
I think guitarchat and drumchat are different forums rather than an extension of this one.
[/quote]

So entirely seprate websites and different URLs, I gather? Then I see no problem with diluting the audience, TBH.

IMO, it's good to have a higher number of moderators. It makes me feel safer, so to speak - at any given moment you can now see that at least four mods/admins are logged on (in the list at the bottom of the home page), so you know that if anything goes amiss (spam attack, trolls etc.) it will be noticed and acted upon very quickly.

As for the choosing process, as a relative newbie I'm fine with that - I assume a good deal of thought has gone into picking long-standing, respected members of the community. However, I also see the point of those other long-standing, respected members who have not been chosen or even asked. But of course, you can't have 20,000 mods/admins and a few hundred ordinary members - a selection needs to be made somehow.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1344599955' post='1766898']
Installing so many new Mods will have an impact on the dynamic of the site. It's a shame you didnt open your short-lists up for vote by the BC commutity as a whole. It's the members who make BC what it is, and this member feels this has been elitist and undemocratic. I also have no care for drummers and guitarists. I think it will dilute the brand, and de-value members. But, I suppose it's a business like anything else, although I belive you run the risk of loosing the community, and I think this has been evidenced elsewhere.
[/quote]

you gotta remember how long this whole shebang has been going mate, and while the admins and mods do their very best to make it look professional all it is is a few blokes spending a bit of additional time making sure something they like stays something they like.

Yeah its a business and that but as you said, the community makes it what it is and 99.9% of the time mods don't even need to exist. I don't reckon most will notice the changes.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1344601173' post='1766924']
So entirely seprate websites and different URLs, I gather? Then I see no problem with diluting the audience, TBH.
[/quote]

I don't have any "insider" information unfortunately :) it's just based on how I read the previous posts :) My reasoning is that guitarchat wouldn't be "guitarchat" if it was actually basschat... does that even make sense? :blink:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1344601428' post='1766929']
I don't have any "insider" information unfortunately :) it's just based on how I read the previous posts :) My reasoning is that guitarchat wouldn't be "guitarchat" if it was actually basschat... does that even make sense? :blink:
[/quote]

Yup, I agree. hopefully this point will be clarified when the work currently in progress is completed.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1344599955' post='1766898']
... this member feels this has been elitist and undemocratic ...
[/quote]
Sean, I can't see any systematic problem with having an 'elite' (call it that if you like) group of members who act to maintain certain standards of the site. Strong candidates are likely to have 'good standing in the community (i.e. are respected), good standing with the other moderators (i.e. no warnings) and have been an active part of the community over an extended period of time (because modding needs a little committment)'.

In this case, undemocratic seems to me to be a very good thing.

Anyway, if you were to have an election of mods then who would qualify for a vote? All and every member who joined and logged on once or only those with a certain number of posts? Let's say every member with over 750 posts could vote, that's another elite group.

Edited by EssentialTension

For myself, I'm pleased that an infusion of new mods will take pressure off the relatively tiny number of people who've been curating for the forum to date.

Since I joined about four years ago the membership's gone up five-fold and various new sub-forums have been added. There's been a change in board software (a punishing exercise for the team) and many other enhancements, including the blog, links to social media and other electrical wizardry. It all adds to the work - at least one admin was spending a whole day at a time doing nothing more than dealing with spammers. Everybody say 'Thank you, Hamster.'

So I think it's good the current guys are going to get some help, because without that help the forum would stagnate or even go downhill because the existing team will be running just to stand still. We would lose the forward momentum that has brought the forum as far as it has.

Perhaps some of us see moderators simply as being 'exercisers of power', without realising the full scope of a mod's commitments. Were that the case- which it is not - I could understand why a popular mandate might seem desirable.

But even if it were the case, how would a nomination procedure work and how many nominators would be required? How would we avoid the effect of cliques? Would we use AV or first past the post? What percentage of membership would count as a viable constituency? Who would organise the vote? Would candidates have to publish a manifesto and - if 'elected' - be required to hold to it?

Given the alarms and excursions occasioned by as small a matter as the 'Like Button' poll, frankly, we'd be playing with fire. And don't forget, some poor bastard would have to take days out of their life to organise and manage such an enterprise.

Leaving aside these and other issues of framing an election, we must recognise that BC is not a co-operative but a forum wholly owned by Ped and Kiwi who pay for it out of their own pockets. The mods give their time up for nothing. The rest of us get a free ride.

If the owners want to add to - or even subtract from - the number of mods, it's their choice. The selection process is their choice. The future direction of the forum is their choice. If they want to invest their own cash in a couple of new, separate forums founded on the basschat ethos, it's their choice - and a good call, IMO. Doesn't cost the rest of us a penny.

All we have to do is sit back and enjoy it. And if we don't enjoy it, well, we're pretty much f***ed because there ain't no better bass forum on the web.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1344602196' post='1766948']
Sean, I can't see any systematic problem with having an 'elite'......
[/quote]

It's just my opinion and how I feel. I don't know if there is some sort of equation that means if I feel a certain way, others will feel the same too, but perhaps not be so vocal.

I've not got any thoughts on how a voting system would work. As Kiwi says, a short-list is drawn up, and those with an interest could vote on that. I have not got a problem with the Mods that have been installed, just the method. With a vote, you may not get your way, but at least you get your say.

But, I'm saying it anyway, but that's just me! :)

Well, I'm off outside to enjoy some of this lovely evening :happy: