Why become a member? ×

Carvin BX500 - US Built Bargain

Mykesbass

Picked up a Carvin BX500 from Phil at BassGear in Twyford yeasterday. Had tried it previously with several thousand pounds worth of his stock basses but wanted to double check it with my own bass.

What a great amp - does the sound that I have been carting 25kg of valves around for the last year or so to get in a tiny little class D box with a 12AX7 pre amp valve - big, warm, deep bass but full of clarity and definition.

The amp has loads of bells and whistles should you need them but also works brilliantly with just the basic tone controls.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is that it only cost £359 for a US built 500 watt amp. Highly recommended as of course is Phil and Vic's service if you haven't already experienced it!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1344202962' post='1761315']
I think Phil would us one of these as his first choice gigging amp based on what he was saying to me recently.

Pretty impressive given he's had a lot of choice of much more expensive kit!
[/quote]

Yes, he was telling me that he was using this more and more over the Aguilar Tonehammer. Looking forwrad to rehearsing tonight (and getting up the stairs :) ).

I had one for a couple of years. Just sold it and replaced with a GK MB Fusion. I only really used it as a back up, but what an awesome little amp. Great basic sound and then more eq than you shake a stick at. Very loud too. Bit of a best kept secret I reckon.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1344278562' post='1762211']
Aw, now I've got amp GAS. :blink: Again.
[/quote]

No you haven't, stop it.

Looks a bargain though. It's a shame Carvin aren't more readily available in the UK, wouldn't mind hearing one of their cabs tbh.

Once had the pleasure of gigging a Carvin Cyclops combo (1x15 + 2x8 + horn I think?), and it well near blew my socks off tone-wise. Their basses ain't to shabby either, and if I was ever to progress to a six string bass, Carvin would be right up there on the wish list after trying one of their sixers in the old Bass Centre many many moons ago.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1344288002' post='1762400']

No you haven't, stop it.

Looks a bargain though. It's a shame Carvin aren't more readily available in the UK, wouldn't mind hearing one of their cabs tbh.
[/quote]

BassGear are bringing in a stock of Carvin gear from what I can make out, amps, cabs, combos and a few basses too :)

Rehearsed with it last night - what a joy! Easily got the sound I wanted, plenty of volume, plenty of low end and yet still plenty of (and I use my words advisedly knowing Discreet is on this thread) penetration. And the get in at our rehearsal space is up a narrow staircase - bliss :)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1344335339' post='1762860']
I'd like one of their new Jazz basses...odd looking body but great tone, and kinda cool that they went with a different shape.

Thing is, they are like £800 custom made over in the USA. Once you get it here, its more like £1300... :(
[/quote]

My SB5000 should arrive end of this month. Got a gig up at Beamish Hall on 17th November, could possibly bring it over so you could have a try, if you're interested and not too far away from Beamish.

Personally, I wasn't in the slightest bit bothered that it costs £800 in the US and £1300 (actually, mine is £1265) over here. If it plays, sounds, feels and looks like a £1300 bass I'll be well happy!

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1350333344' post='1837547']

My SB5000 should arrive end of this month. Got a gig up at Beamish Hall on 17th November, could possibly bring it over so you could have a try, if you're interested and not too far away from Beamish.

Personally, I wasn't in the slightest bit bothered that it costs £800 in the US and £1300 (actually, mine is £1265) over here. If it plays, sounds, feels and looks like a £1300 bass I'll be well happy!
[/quote]

Thanks! Get some pics when it arrives :)

• 1 month later...

Looked at lots of lightweight gear, Bought one of these from Bass Gear to go with my LB70P. Tried it out with a recording session late last night, What a sound, it made an old Aria sound just like an old school Gibson short scale with ease, Used DI out on a indi folk track (not what its going to be used for) not really my scene but the audio was perfect. Very pleased, I think people should look around and try something a little different. This can do the whole range from Ampeg to Trace, I should know ive used the lot over the years.

Edited by Kipper

Believe it or not, we get some customers deciding against buying these because they are only £359, and are thus sceptical about them.

We don't stock them because they are at this price, we stock them because they are an American-made amp of quality and flexibility.

I have case histories of customers buying them in as a standby head, who then end up using them as their primary amp.

I personally gig one in a 2u rack. I find the 2 ohm flexibility damn useful.