Why become a member? ×

Dammit! Alternate tunings are a pain in my butt.

Evil Undead

I know exactly what you mean, there's plenty of bands I love but have never learned any of their tracks because of daft tunings and I have a bass in B.

For example, Mastodon are one of my absolute favourite bands but I've never learned any of their material

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1344151052' post='1760347']
I love System Of A Down, especially their older stuff, but I've never learned any because they use drop C :(
[/quote]
First SOAD album is a binder, but yup, never learned anything from it

I loathe non-standard tunings and in general won't use them. The exception is I have a cheap chinese plank of a guitar whose grandad might have been an SG, and I have been known to tune that down by a semitone in order to get an open string effect in Eb. Apart from that, the straight answer is NO, and if you find that offends, you shouldn't have asked.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1344194744' post='1761102']
Its funny to me how some are talking about hate for altered tunings. Its just a tuning. It's not like they've pissed in your face or slept with your girlfriend.
[/quote]
That's what you know! If that open G tuning shows it's face around here again it'll be leaving on a stretcher!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1344194744' post='1761102']
Its funny to me how some are talking about hate for altered tunings. Its just a tuning. It's not like they've pissed in your face or slept with your girlfriend.
[/quote] True. But it's a pain in my back passage.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1344195966' post='1761125']
That's what you know! If that open G tuning shows it's face around here again it'll be leaving on a stretcher!
[/quote] YEAH!

My hatred of them came from when I was in a classical guitar ensemble and one piece required dropD tuning. The next was a duet involving me, playing a movement from one of Vivaldi's works. We'd started when I realised I hadn't returned my guitar to standard tuning. Got away with it but I swore I'd never mess with the tuning ever again.

I've never found it a big deal, although it's always been a case of the band playing in a particular tuning, and the most I've had to shift mid-set is down to drop D and back (or drop C# - same difference!).

I can imagine using multiple tunings in one set would be a ballache, and that's why rockstars have a rack of guitars and a hairy bloke in a dirty t-shirt to hand them the right one. I'd be happy to take two instruments to a gig to cover it off, although the Morpheus Droptune/Capo pedals or a Whammy DT could be a lighter and less expensive solution for some people.

If it makes the band sound better it's worth the minor (IMO, of course) inconvenience.