Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabs?

thebrig

Don't know how relevant this is to the thread, but I've just got back from seeing basschat member danthewelshy play with his band - he was using a Barefaced cab (think he said it was a prototype Big Baby) with a Hartke head & it sounded f***ing awesome.

I played my first gig with my newly aquired BigOne last night
Not good I'm afraid to say. We were on a 12" high wooden stage and I got nothing but boom and no note clarity at all. First set was with a Gramma Pad and I tried the second set without it with no discernable difference at all. I was pretty disappointed if I'm honest.
I was running the cab with an SVT3pro, Bass rolled of to 10oclock, i tried all sorts with the mids, bumped 'em with the graphic as well as the mid selector.
I had the same venue last month with a Techsoundsystems 410 and the BigOne did naught to rectify the problem. I have another gig this Friday so hopefully I'll get better results there.
:mellow:

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1347188217' post='1797740']
Not good I'm afraid to say. We were on a 12" high wooden stage and I got nothing but boom and no note clarity at all. First set was with a Gramma Pad and I tried the second set without it with no discernable difference at all. I was pretty disappointed if I'm honest.
I was running the cab with an SVT3pro, Bass rolled of to 10oclock, i tried all sorts with the mids, bumped 'em with the graphic as well as the mid selector.
I had the same venue last month with a Techsoundsystems 410 and the BigOne did naught to rectify the problem. I have another gig this Friday so hopefully I'll get better results there.
:mellow:
[/quote]

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1344016177' post='1758847']
Just don't use an SVT3 :o
[/quote]

Not sure the SVT3 is the problem Mr F to be honest.
I just re valved it and had the bias set and the amp sounds sweet. I've used that set up at rehearsal albeit in a smaller room and it sounds good. On that stage and in that venue it didn't come together.

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1347189277' post='1797764']
Not sure the SVT3 is the problem Mr F to be honest.
I just re valved it and had the bias set and the amp sounds sweet. I've used that set up at rehearsal albeit in a smaller room and it sounds good. On that stage and in that venue it didn't come together.
[/quote]

That's the sort of place where you need effective EQ, especially with a cab with lots of bandwidth, partly the problems with choice of hifi cab, because they brutally show the limitations of other stuff, like the room, but the control is ultimately down to the amp.

Also, isn't the SVT3pro solid state? Don't usually have bias set in them (although they do need it, you don't change out the power valves and replacing transistors tend to be like for like).

Hi Alex, can you elaborate a bit on that one please bud. :)
I have a Trace AH200 and a Yamaha BBT500 I can try this coming week. Alternatively can you suggest or recommend a Head, this particular band is a wedding/function type band but I bought the SVT primarily for my Blues Band, I also want to run the BigOne with that band as well.
Mr F, The 3 pro has five valves on the pre and the bias needs to be set correctly on the mosfets for the amp to run cleanly, it's a common thing that it wanders of on the 3pro and needs to be reset periodically. B)

Edited by kennyrodg

I've used the Pro 3 a fair few times and to be brutally honest, it sounds quite good but needs the gain maxing (ignore the usual clip light) and a very 'punchy' sealed cab to shine.

The best Ampeg (apart from thr big CL/VR) on the market at the moment is the 7 Pro, but there is yet another Revision ( D ) coming soon.

1000 watts.

Alternatively get an Orange Bass Terror 500 which has a lot of power...more than advertised.

Cheers Bud,
I've read about the gain light, I had it set so it was lighting up about 75/80% of the time.
Thanks for the input though.
I'll see what suggestions Alex has but from the sounds of the replies so far it's not a good pairing.
B)

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1347191051' post='1797798']
I've used the Pro 3 a fair few times and to be brutally honest, it sounds quite good but needs the gain maxing (ignore the usual clip light) and a very 'punchy' sealed cab to shine.
[/quote]

This bit says poorly controlled low end from the amp, and a low tuned cab like the big One is about the worst thing you can pair that with. Dunno if it works the same with the Big One, but maybe plugging a section of the port to lower the tuning will control the low ouput a bit better and make it act like a sealed cab, free to try.

Have to say that the amp isn't versatile IMO. I know people who love it with the Ampeg cabs but I just don't think the EQ stage is going to help much
if you REALLY have to call on it.
This is why I personally would only want to use the full valve jobs which are totally impractical for my use...but the valve output stage totally renders any
EQ issue almost redundant IMO..but even then, the last thing you want to do with Ampeg......generally.... is try and get a sound.
They either do it for you or they don't...and maybe one has to go..

Mismatches aren't unknown by any means but maybe you have two immoveable objects here in terms of sound character..??

Yeah, I figure you're spot on with that.
I've heard a few Ampeg rigs of late and really liked what I heard so I guess the SVT3 is my first foray so to speak. I do like the head, not everyone's favourite I know but there you go.
It's something I'd like to persue and so after some advice and further research today I've decided that I ought to try a sealed cab with my amp.
Cheers for posting.

Valve output stage doesn't limit EQ, aside from being high passed by the OT. Valve preamps with passive EQ are pretty limited, but that's down to the EQ not the presence of valves.

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1347229649' post='1798391']
It's something I'd like to persue and so after some advice and further research today I've decided that I ought to try a sealed cab with my amp.
[/quote]

Definitely try plugging part of the port on the Big One, jam a block of foam or polystyrene in, some of it, and it will mimic the effect of a sealed cab.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Hi again Mr F,
I followed your advice earlier today and plugged the ports with good effect so cheers for that.
I'm kind of set on a course at the moment trying various things....as you do.... and I've decided to try a sealed cab with the ampeg. If it works out I can upgrade to a better head as and when funds allow.
If not it's back to the drawing board as they say.
Thanks for help, it's much appreciated.
B)

yep..don't like the EQ variation, or lack of, on the Valve jobs either but you plug them in, fire the bass up and it's like..'hullo, we are cooking'
Can't explain it but they work..and this from a non convinced Ampeg..and Boogie 400 type for that matter, user.

I generally want 4 band para eq on amps, but if the basses sound good, I never get further than the enhance controls...which is just a rotary pre mapped sweep, anyway.

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1347188217' post='1797740']
Not good I'm afraid to say. We were on a 12" high wooden stage and I got nothing but boom and no note clarity at all. [/quote]

Just to say that I gigged exclusively with a Big One for two years, using (at different times, natch) an Eden WTX-500, Orange Terror Bass, and rigs based around pedal + Digam Powersoft power amp.

With all those rigs, I always got a really transparent, clean sound with no boom at all.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1347540816' post='1802145']
I had an SVT3Pro with the HLF410 for 6 years - Super 12 arrived and the SVT was replaced within 2 months.
I'm not sure why the pairing doesn't cut it but, I've now got an Orange TB500 and the sound is righteous!
[/quote]

Heard a lot about the SVT 3 pro and a big one . . . an old tale of woe as I recall . . . http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183310-barefaced-cabs/page__st__80 seems to recount the tale! (there's another but I can't find it).

Edited by PlungerModerno

I had a crack with the Big One when it was on tour for tryouts a few years ago. Sounded wonderful with my Shuttle 6, didn't get the chance to try my SVT3 with it but sounds like it wouldn't have been a worthwhile effort.

Really tempted to change my giant cab for something more manageable to suit the types of gigs I'm doing these days, Alex's stuff is always tempting!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1347172310' post='1797574']
If anyone's interested, i have the very first production example of the long-awaited barefaced 69er on the way. I'm on week ten now, and have been told it'll be with me by the end of the month. Silver grille option, of course :-)
[/quote]

Very interested Roland, has the 69 landed ?