Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabs?

thebrig

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1344005384' post='1758606']That is based upon the fact that you think that the GB cab that you have lacks 'punch' (a term which I'm sure AC, BFM and many others will say is nonsensical and meaningless) and that you play in a rock/blues band.[/quote]

Use the right head and bass and attitude and a Compact will 'out-punch' an STL210. A Super Twelve will absolutely slaughter it and dance on its grave. Fact. :P

(Edited for better metaphor).

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1344006714' post='1758642']
Use the right head and bass and attitude and a Compact will 'out-punch' an STL210. A Super Twelve will absolutely slaughter it and dance on its grave. Fact. :P

[/quote]

Can't argue as I've never used my amp/bass/attitude with an STL210! :D However, is that a left-jab or a right-hook type 'punch'? :lol:

I don't think the term punch is nonsensical at all btw. It does have a habit of getting confused with thump though. But a little 2x10" with low volume displacement might sound nice and 'punchy' in quieter situations, push it a bit harder and the cones start overexcursing and all the thump and punch vanishes. It's a bit like the thump in the back you get from accelerating hard in a fast car. When you crank the volume up and the cones overexcurse it's like putting that car on snow - suddenly all that current generating a magnetic field from the voice coil has very little magnetic force pushing back as the voice coil is no longer in between the magnet's pole pieces - just like the tyres trying to push against the tarmac but getting no push back because the snow is in the way.

I'd say the Compact's is more of a low hook to the stomach whilst a Super Twelve has a much wider repertoire, including the Glasgow kiss should your guitarist be getting ideas above his station...

placed my order on a super 15 the other day, have always been against 15s completely but alex and i traded a few emails and he was really helpful and gave reasons why he recommended the cab, the wait is already annoying though! i hate waiting.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1344005384' post='1758606']
I'll state from the off that I think that Alex's dedication to his work is to be applauded and I enjoy his insight into acoustics to the point where I'll read (and reread) most any thread that the likes of he or BFM post in. Having made that clear and seeing as you are asking for advice on whether 'others' think that a Barefaced cab will best suit your needs; then I personally don't think that it will. That is based upon the fact that you think that the GB cab that you have lacks 'punch' (a term which I'm sure AC, BFM and many others will say is nonsensical and meaningless) and that you play in a rock/blues band.

I've played through several of Alex's cabs and it NEVER ceases to amaze me how light they are and I love them for that, however that is NOT one of your considerations, it is purely the sound of the cab and it's ability to sound full and punchy in a rock/blues setting and I have yet to get the sound that 'I' want out of one of the BF cabs as I always feet that they have plenty of bottom (and top) but lack any punch/heft/weight to the tone. Patently they are not going to suit every person and I am NOT putting Alex's cabs down, they just don't suit me... same as an Ashdown 4x10 sounds pants to my ears! :D

One thing that I do find strange is that you've had a cab on order for 6 weeks and THEN you ask for people's opinions! :blink: ;)
[/quote]

I think that you have read my post wrong warwickhunt, where does it say that I have one on order?
I just want some opinions as to whether it might suit my needs.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1344006714' post='1758642']

[/quote]

He actually says he uses a 6.0-12T and a 2x10T 6.0 being the head and the 12T being its cab so Im not so sure, although is a 1x12 plus a 2x10 a good mix anyway?

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1344007526' post='1758662']

I'd say the Compact's is more of a low hook to the stomach whilst a Super Twelve has a much wider repertoire, including the Glasgow kiss should your guitarist be getting ideas above his station...
[/quote]

I now want one for no other reason than this :D

[size=4]The amp is a [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T [u]Combo[/u], plus a [/font][/size][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Genz Benz 210T Cab, so if I do decide to go for a Barefaced cab, I would have to replace the amp as it would be difficult to sell the 112T cab on its own, as the cable comes directly out of the cab for connecting to the head.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]That's why I am interested to know what heads work well with the [u]Super 12[/u] or [u]Super 15[/u], as I will need to get a new one.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers for the input so far.[/font]

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1344012610' post='1758777']
[size=4]The amp is a [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T [u]Combo[/u], plus a [/font][/size][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Genz Benz 210T Cab, so if I do decide to go for a Barefaced cab, I would have to replace the amp as it would be difficult to sell the 112T cab on its own, as the cable comes directly out of the cab for connecting to the head.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]That's why I am interested to know what heads work well with the [u]Super 12[/u] or [u]Super 15[/u], as I will need to get a new one.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers for the input so far.[/font]
[/quote]
No it wont, I bought exactly that on here! I had the head and my NEOX 2x12T first then added the 1x12T after for smaller gigs, its great :) Obviously it will be of more interest for a genz 6.0 owner but there are plenty of them.

FWIW I would get a Genz 2x12T like mine and keep everything you already have giving you a 1x12, 2x10 or 2x12 all with adjustable tweeters to choose from for each gig, the all work well with the head you already have and like ;)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Better off deciding what head you like and getting the cab to match. They are fairly transparent so its other factors on deciding which cab, because the tone will be coming from the amp. The Super 15 is loud enough to jam with drums with a 50w head set clean, just been doing it.

Hi

I have been gigging a super 12 with an SVT 7 pro (before that an LMtube) for about 18 months now. Doing pretty much what you are rock covers pubs clubs occasional bike club do or bigger venue.

Pros

Its stupidly light
Its pretty compact
If your on top of it you can still hear it
Its loud enough to punch through the densest of mixes

Cons

The wheels are great on a nice smooth surface but get em on the dog and ducks sh*tty car park and you will take chunks out of the base its so light i dunno why they bother.
The tweeter control is inside the port bit awkward to adjust but as i have it off not an issue for me
They do look a bit like "my first bass amp" by Tonka. But its durable

Overall its does the job very very well and after 50 plus gigs it looks and sounds great

Get one if you dont like it send it back whats to lose.
If you wanna try mine your welcome

S

Edited by Stealth

On my second BF now, first was Big One, swapped for current Dubster. Big One was best cab I have ever used - it needed a lot of watts to do it justice. Dubster is in my opinion even better. The gain in sensitivity is noticeable, and even though the high frequency response is limited I can get enough punch, twang or whatever. The 3015LFs can give serious volume without stress in this cab. The wheels are a super idea but they do not like the 'Dog & Duck' rough car park as mentioned earlier. The finish on newer cabs looks better, the plus is it can be touched up easily and a full refinish is a DIY job. I am currently building a 15/6 cab to replace my Big One for the smaller gigs, Dubster & 700W is overkill with double bass.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1344007589' post='1758665']
placed my order on a super 15 the other day, have always been against 15s completely but alex and i traded a few emails and he was really helpful and gave reasons why he recommended the cab, the wait is already annoying though! i hate waiting.
[/quote]

The wait starts of pretty bad... but gets worse over time IME. Week 6 here. Reality is the weight is a miniscule inconvenience compared to the wait... Oh wait I got that backwards :gas: .

I can't wait... Oh wait yes I can. I'd just rather get my bass thumping through it in the very near future!!! :D

After much thought, I will almost certainly plump for a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 head, as it is supposed to be a bit warmer than the Shuttle.

Will this work well with the Super 12, and what other cabs should I consider to get the best out of the Streamliner?

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1343948404' post='1757871']
....I am not that technically minded, I know nothing about sine waves, dispersion etc. but what I do know is, I play in a band that plays mainly classic (70's) rock and blues, and I want a cab that will cater for my needs, preferably in one cab (4ohms maybe?), that can handle the full power of the head that I team it up with.

I currently play through a Genz Benz shuttle 6.0-12T, plus a Genz Benz STL-210T cab, great rig and ideal for the function band that I used to play in, but now that I am playing in a rock/blues band, I feel I need something with a bit more punch....
[/quote]

Just got back off holiday so I'm speed reading 69 pages of threads!!

Barefaced get good reviews because they deserve it. If I was looking at BF cabs I'd be checking out the Super12T. But the other thought that I would have is; how good will another GB210 sound? 2 210's sound pretty amazing to my ear.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1344066732' post='1759260']
After much thought, I will almost certainly plump for a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 head, as it is supposed to be a bit warmer than the Shuttle.

Will this work well with the Super 12, and what other cabs should I consider to get the best out of the Streamliner?
[/quote]

All Genz Gear has good to great reputation... lots of USA bassists say there CS is excellent, not sure if it's as good this side of the pond...
Hopefully someone will have tried that combination of amp and cab - my understanding is you'd need to play it yourself to know how well it fits your ears...

Good luck,

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1344082875' post='1759506']
Just got back off holiday so I'm speed reading 69 pages of threads!!

Barefaced get good reviews because they deserve it. If I was looking at BF cabs I'd be checking out the Super12T. But the other thought that I would have is; how good will another GB210 sound? 2 210's sound pretty amazing to my ear.
[/quote]
Hi chris_b, hope you had a good holiday, I'm off on my hols myself tomorrow morning, so I am just trying to gather some ideas for some serious 'gassing' while I'm away.

I must admit, that I do like the GB 210 and maybe adding another might be a good idea, although the thought of having just one 4ohm cabinet doing the equivalent of two, is rather appealing.

2 x210 gets my vote.... You can raise them higher should you need to but you can run one for quiet gigs or two for that decent stage rig.
I'd expect most decent 410's to out perform most other configs if that is your remit.... But will loose out on weight and carry which wouldn't be a consideration for me.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1344066732' post='1759260']

[/quote]

Streamliner 900 plus Super 12 is a great match, having heard that pairing and fallen in love with the sound.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]
Professor Brian Cox said:

[color=#0000cd]"When you have eliminated the possible, whatever remains, however popular, is bullshit."[/color]
[/quote]

At some stage, children got to be professors. Disturbing stuff.

Edited by fatback