Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabs?

thebrig

Ok, I have been following a lot of threads recently, where Barefaced cabs seem to get lots of rave reviews.

I am not that technically minded, I know nothing about sine waves, dispersion etc. but what I do know is, I play in a band that plays mainly classic (70's) rock and blues, and I want a cab that will cater for my needs, preferably in one cab (4ohms maybe?), that can handle the full power of the head that I team it up with.

I currently play through a Genz Benz shuttle 6.0-12T, plus a Genz Benz STL-210T cab, great rig and ideal for the function band that I used to play in, but now that I am playing in a rock/blues band, I feel I need something with a bit more punch.

So my question is, how good are the Barefaced cabs, and what cab would be most suited to my needs, Super 12 or Super 15, and what head works best with these cabs?

Thanks in anticipation, of the usual great response from all you more knowledgeable Basschatter's out there.

Edited by thebrig

I've personally heard a Genz Benz shuttle through a Barefaced Super 12 T in a progressive rock/metal band. And I've used a Markbass F1 with one in a death metal band. No complaints at all! Mega mega loud even though it's a relatively small cab, the dispersion is really good so no matter where you stand it always sounds the same, and it doesn't alter the tone of your bass/amp at all!

They do get rave reviews... I'm just beginning week 6 of my wait to get a Compact.

If I were going to be playing in a loud rock outfit I'd look at a super 15 or Dual Compacts or a Compact+Midget pair. Vintage grille cloth of course :D

I'm reserving on praising them too much untill I get my hands on one - there are two selling points that make them pretty awsome (at least on paper). Clean sound (you make the tone choices much more than a vintage only voiced cab), and they are extremely portable. Oh and they sound amazing in almost any room... so I hear (from others).

Alex is busy, but always willing to give you advice on his cabs... He can answer your questions much better than I. Send him an email or fill out the form... http://barefacedbass.com/contact-us.htm
AFAIK from this forum and elsewhere on the internets what Alex claims about his cabs is completely legit.
They are establishing a worldwide rep as up there with the best from what I read. If you're hesitant you may get the chance to play through someone else's to give you a feel... Plus AFAIK you can arrange to get a trial at Barefaced to demo some of the cabs! Ask Alex.

If you stick full power from the Shuttle into a super 15 or probably a super 12, you will kill everyone nearby. don't fuss about max power. The super 15 is sensitive enough that I get all the loud I need for my silly loudness requirement from a 140w head. 103db is equivalent to a pair of SVT8x10s at the same wattage, according to specs on the Ampeg site.

Just to put it in perspective, I sold my Ampeg SVT450H and 6x10 for an Ampeg PF-500 + Compact and they could take on my old stack anyday.

I'm going to add a Midget or another Compact to the stack soon and that will probably reverse the rotation of the earth.

Total GAS cure these cabs!

I had a Compact/Midget stack, with my Ampeg PF500. The BF cabs really let the tone of your bass/amp come through, without colouring the sound. I did find that either cab on its own didn`t have enough depth of sound for me - I like the sound of multiple speakers - but each was certainly loud enough for a gig on their own.

I too like an old-school rock sound, and the Compact/Midget were great for this, so can only think that the Super 12 or Super 15 will excel at this. My one tip would be, choose one with a tweeter - you may not need it now, but who knows about later on!

I listened to a compact (or was it a midget?) at a bass bash not so long ago. I couldn't help thinking on the day that the sound it produced with a variety of amps through it was bit thin, without much body. I wasn't the only one thinking that either.
In all fairness though, we'd just listened to a few amps through an Epifani 4 x 10, so maybe our ears were a little pre - conditioned by this ?

I fully expect some verbal for this from BF fans, but it is was I found on the day. Disappointed a little too, as I'd grown to expect much more.
I'd be quite interested to hear more BF cabs though, as I don't expect those findings to be reflected throughout the whole range of products.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1343981031' post='1758020']
I listened to a compact (or was it a midget?) at a bass bash not so long ago. I couldn't help thinking on the day that the sound it produced with a variety of amps through it was bit thin, without much body. I wasn't the only one thinking that either.
In all fairness though, we'd just listened to a few amps through an Epifani 4 x 10, so maybe our ears were a little pre - conditioned by this ?

I fully expect some verbal for this from BF fans, but it is was I found on the day. Disappointed a little too, as I'd grown to expect much more.
I'd be quite interested to hear more BF cabs though, as I don't expect those findings to be reflected throughout the whole range of products.
[/quote]

I'd say if you take any fairly flat cab and compare it to a cab with a midrange 'hump' you'll be dissapointed if you don't rethink eq.
Check the "Why shouldn't I get a compact?" section on this page [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/compact.htm"]http://barefacedbass...nge/compact.htm[/url]
Alex makes it clear with points 2 and 5 that the cab is designed to put out pretty much what you put in... I doubt the epi 410 is as flat.

EDIT: I'm definitely not criticizing your experience - I've never played a barefaced cab (got a compact on order though) - but I think there is a lot going on between the two cabs - the Compact is a very different cab, when you say thin do you mean too present (very middy) or just not enough low end - coz I've heard they have buckets of both - if you send the signal you want out - in. I'll get to try myself hopefully in the next few weeks!

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1343981885' post='1758035']
I've tried a compact with my Orange Terror and my TC Classic. The Terror sounded amazing and the TC didn't.
I'm not sure what this means or if it helps?
[/quote]

It's interesting - I'd say most heads could sound great through a good cab, I don't know much about the heads or the cab (yet :D ).

I've heard some of the TC heads take a lot of tweaking to get the best tones out... whereas the Orange heads tend to sound awesome no matter what you try - that could be a factor, not sue about the TC classic head, if it fits that description.

Edited by PlungerModerno

I got to use a Super Twelve T recently at a rehearsal, and it was very, very good. Very light, and a nice tallish shape so you can hear it pretty well even if you're standing close to it. It sounds even better elsewhere.

Loud enough and deep enough for just about anything I can think of, and I use ACS ER15s, we rehearse that loud. The finish (handles, etc) is the only thing that doesn't feel like a £750 cab, but the built-in wheels are a great idea.

Having re-read the OP, I'd say that for more punch, definitely consider a Schroeder - the low-mid hump of these really sounds punchy and present in a band situation, mine's great for the two-guitar rock band I play in.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1343987215' post='1758173']
The TC heads sound best if you leave them at default by most peoples accounts (I disagree though :lol: )

I'm yet to hear a BF cab I've liked but I'll keep listening out for one that does it for me :)
[/quote]

Cool. I've yet to hear a BF cab at all :blink: . The return policy is cool - I can't wait to try it (goodbye fighting unamplified drums for supremacy :D )

TC heads seem to be hit and miss . . . Like all the rest I guess. I'm leaning towards a GK mb fusion - but the Markbass, TC, Ashdown, Ampeg, other GK, Genz, and all the others are stuff I'd love to try... I'll get around to it at some point.

It took me weeks of fiddling to get the TC sounding how I wanted it. The Orange you just plug in. I reckon a couple of weeks fiddling with a compact and the TC and I could get there. It shows how much the TC cabs colour the sound. They do it in a way I like fortunately.
If only there Terror had a decent DI.

Basically what you will get here is that people that continue to use them will shout pretty loud and people that don't might not want to get involved in a potential slanging match.
I suggest you forget all that and take advantage of the 30 day free trial and then you will know if they can do what suits you.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1343987832' post='1758188']
Brig, what sort of venues will you be playing? And to what size of crowd?

What's the line-up of your new band - one guitar or two? Do you have keys?
[/quote]
Our line-up consists of: Drums, two guitars, Bass and vocals.

The size of the venues varies at the moment as we have only been together a few months, and have only just began to get out there gigging, but so far, we have played three outdoor gigs in front of up to 500 people, and one indoor gig in a fair size music bar.

But at the end of the day, we are really just a band playing covers, so most of the time we will be playing pubs and clubs, so I wont always need too much in the way of watts etc, but as the [b]Barefaced [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Super 12[/font][/color][/b] is lightweight, very portable and is 4 ohms, I thought that it might be the ideal cab to cover all likely situations in the future, without having to take a second cab with me for the larger gigs.

The other advantage is, [i]Mrs Brig[/i] allows me to store the cab just behind the front door, the second cab would have to go in the loft, which is a lot of hassle every time I need to use it.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1343988143' post='1758194']
Basically what you will get here is that people that continue to use them will shout pretty loud and people that don't might not want to get involved in a potential slanging match.
I suggest you forget all that and take advantage of the 30 day free trial and then you will know if they can do what suits you.
[/quote]

+1. My logic when I put a deposit on a Compact. Some love them a lot, some are not pushed. I know I'll like it at least as much as my cheapo combo - which is good for the dosh - but the money back deal is as good as it gets. If you can afford to get a barefaced cab, do the crowd, and your back a favour and try one (or two). It's not permanent. :ph34r:

I can recommend the Super12T very flexible and loud! You will have to change your amp settings if you are used to a 'coloured' cab but you get out what you put in! Personally I run my Genz flat into it and get the sound I want playing lots of different styles of music. It's very different from cabs I've had before and it took a few gigs to get used to hearing myself so clearly!

I would also recommend you contact Alex at Barefaced and discuss your requirements with him, because everyone will recommend what is best for them, wheas Alex will recommend what is best for you from his range. I don't think you'll go wrong with either S12 or S15, but the S12 is smaller. It will still take virtually anything your amp will chuck at it though!

The thing I noticed when I played through my Ashdown MIBass 550 and my new compact for the first time at an outdoor gig was, even though I was really pushing the amp, how deep, clear and defined the bass sounded. It gave the impression that it could take a lot more than the MiBass was putting through it.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1343990227' post='1758228']
Our line-up consists of: Drums, two guitars, Bass and vocals.

The size of the venues varies at the moment as we have only been together a few months, and have only just began to get out there gigging, but so far, we have played three outdoor gigs in front of up to 500 people, and one indoor gig in a fair size music bar.

But at the end of the day, we are really just a band playing covers, so most of the time we will be playing pubs and clubs.
[/quote]

OK, same line-up as my band, playing similar music, probably at similar venues.

Being a big fan of Alex Claber's work, I have a Super12 [i][b]and [/b][/i]a Compact [i][b]and [/b][/i]a Midget. Yup ... overkill.

For smaller pubs, I can use the Compact on its own and get completely satisfactory results. I can also use the Midget on its own, and get equally good results but in an "angrier-sounding" way.

For larger pubs, I stack the Midget on the Compact, and get even better results. I rarely get an opportunity to use the Super12 and I never get a chance to 'stretch' that cab ... which is why I lent it to Discreet so that he could break it in for me. :rolleyes:

The Compact + Midget stack is designed to be complementary, i.e. the two cabs genuinely sound better when paired. It ain't snake oil, it really does work.

Do Barefaced cabs sound "better" than those from other manufacturers? Meaningless question. It depends what you hear and whether or not you like it. It's not science, it's opinion.

What IS science is that you can weigh a Barefaced cab and prove quite conclusively that it weighs FAR less than pretty much any competing unit. If the cab also sounds good to you, then (for my money) it's a no-brainer.

Strolling across a pub car-park at one in the morning with a Compact slung casually in one hand is an absolute revelation.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1343948404' post='1757871']
I currently play through a Genz Benz shuttle 6.0-12T, plus a Genz Benz STL-210T cab, great rig and ideal for the function band that I used to play in, but now that I am playing in a rock/blues band, I feel I need something with a bit more punch.[/quote]

I'll state from the off that I think that Alex's dedication to his work is to be applauded and I enjoy his insight into acoustics to the point where I'll read (and reread) most any thread that the likes of he or BFM post in. Having made that clear and seeing as you are asking for advice on whether 'others' think that a Barefaced cab will best suit your needs; then I personally don't think that it will. That is based upon the fact that you think that the GB cab that you have lacks 'punch' (a term which I'm sure AC, BFM and many others will say is nonsensical and meaningless) and that you play in a rock/blues band.

I've played through several of Alex's cabs and it NEVER ceases to amaze me how light they are and I love them for that, however that is NOT one of your considerations, it is purely the sound of the cab and it's ability to sound full and punchy in a rock/blues setting and I have yet to get the sound that 'I' want out of one of the BF cabs as I always feet that they have plenty of bottom (and top) but lack any punch/heft/weight to the tone. Patently they are not going to suit every person and I am NOT putting Alex's cabs down, they just don't suit me... same as an Ashdown 4x10 sounds pants to my ears! :D

One thing that I do find strange is that you've had a cab on order for 6 weeks and THEN you ask for people's opinions! :blink: ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1344005384' post='1758606']
I'll state from the off that I think that Alex's dedication to his work is to be applauded and I enjoy his insight into acoustics to the point where I'll read (and reread) most any thread that the likes of he or BFM post in. Having made that clear and seeing as you are asking for advice on whether 'others' think that a Barefaced cab will best suit your needs; then I personally don't think that it will. That is based upon the fact that you think that the GB cab that you have lacks 'punch' (a term which I'm sure AC, BFM and many others will say is nonsensical and meaningless) and that you play in a rock/blues band.

I've played through several of Alex's cabs and it NEVER ceases to amaze me how light they are and I love them for that, however that is NOT one of your considerations, it is purely the sound of the cab and it's ability to sound full and punchy in a rock/blues setting and I have yet to get the sound that 'I' want out of one of the BF cabs as I always feet that they have plenty of bottom (and top) but lack any punch/heft/weight to the tone. Patently they are not going to suit every person and I am NOT putting Alex's cabs down, they just don't suit me... same as an Ashdown 4x10 sounds pants to my ears! :D

One thing that I do find strange is that you've had a cab on order for 6 weeks and THEN you ask for people's opinions! :blink: ;)
[/quote]

Wise words, not sure on the 'punch' factor of the cabs, but as Im told, if you put that region of mids in, you get it out!

PS - The Ashdown isn't mine, just an observation. For a practice room jam it was pretty decent. Not a patch on the Berg HS410 though.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1344006080' post='1758622']
Wise words, not sure on the 'punch' factor of the cabs, but as Im told, if you put that region of mids in, you get it out!

PS - The Ashdown isn't mine, just an observation. For a practice room jam it was pretty decent. Not a patch on the Berg HS410 though.
[/quote]

The Ashdown reference isn't directed at anyone as much as @ the Ashdown 4x10 cab itself... well certainly the one that I tried in a local rehearsal room! :D