Why become a member? ×

How can they possibly be making a profit?

MacDaddy

The Gibson Melody Maker range - Les Paul, Flying V, SG and Explorer, have a retail price of £445.00.

I bought my Flying V from Musik Produktiv in Germany for £240.87 and this was with free shipping.

The black and blue Explorer's are currently priced at £231.00, and all the other models at £235.00.

All have free shipping, how can they be making a profit?

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1343906430' post='1757074']
By building them in their thousands from cheap materials in a country with very cheap labour rates or machines.
Same for Squier et al.
Nobody sells stuff at RRP either, thats just a hiked up price to convince you that you're getting a bargain.
[/quote]

but they are made in the USA.

Made in USA or assembled in USA? Going back to the 80s and the likes of Charvel and Jackson used to say their guitars were made in USA but they were in fact assembled in USA (basically bolting the neck on to the already completed body and adding a set of strings), the manufacturing facilities were in the far east somewhere.

Still, pretty good price either way! I see your point.

I've just had a look at the spec on these, they really have cut corners!! Seems like there's very little 'human' contact in the manufacturing process from the reviews I've read about sharp frets etc. But hey, its a Gibson, made in the USA for less than £300, can't complain really..

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1343905549' post='1757054']
The Gibson Melody Maker range - Les Paul, Flying V, SG and Explorer, have a retail price of £445.00.
[/quote]

Gordon Smith GS1 is almost exactly the same spec as the 'Paul, handmade in the UK and is £454 rrp so I can't see how the Gibson price can be called especially cheap.

It's cheap for a Gibson if that's what you mean :D

Musik Produktiv is among the largest resellers of musical instruments in Europe. The organisation is massive. It's like the Tesco of direct musical retail. Its buying power puts it in the position to offer such exceptionally low prices. The fact that the product is so sh*tty, is neither here nor there. If people want to pay good money for sawdust and particle board just because it has the Gibson name on it, let them.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1343958749' post='1757942']
The fact that the product is so sh*tty, is neither here nor there. If people want to pay good money for sawdust and particle board just because it has the Gibson name on it, let them.
[/quote]

If I'd bought a bit of a dog I'd be happy to say so, but mine plays and sounds great.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1343931196' post='1757564']
Gordon Smith GS1 is almost exactly the same spec as the 'Paul, handmade in the UK and is £454 rrp so I can't see how the Gibson price can be called especially cheap.

It's cheap for a Gibson if that's what you mean :D
[/quote]

Just done a quick Google and I'm not finding a GS1 brand new for £231.00.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1343914338' post='1757237']
Ignore the fact it says Gibson on the headstock and compare it to any number of other decent guitars at that pricepoint, and you'll have your answer ;)
[/quote]

Not finding a lot at £231.00 ;)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1343913759' post='1757225']
I've just had a look at the spec on these, they really have cut corners!! Seems like there's very little 'human' contact in the manufacturing process from the reviews I've read about sharp frets etc. But hey, its a Gibson, made in the USA for less than £300, can't complain really..
[/quote]

TBH I was worried about that, must have read the same reviews, but the frets on mine are fine

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1343989655' post='1758216']
Just done a quick Google and I'm not finding a GS1 brand new for £231.00.

Not finding a lot at £231.00 ;)
[/quote]

I was comparing RRP of both, which is why I put "RRP" in my post. And Google harder for decent budget guitars. Plenty of stuff there at equal or better spec without the Gibson name on them.

[url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-20-best-budget-electric-guitars-in-the-world-today-529461/2"]http://www.musicrada...-today-529461/2[/url]

FWIW I own a Gibson LP Standard and it's a great guitar but the budget line doesn't seem especially good or fitting with the brand in terms of quality.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1343958749' post='1757942']
If people want to pay good money for sawdust and particle board just because it has the Gibson name on it, let them.
[/quote]

Aah the Gibson Sonex, I remember it well.................... bit of a collector's item the vintage shops say.........

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1343989642' post='1758215']
If I'd bought a bit of a dog I'd be happy to say so, but mine plays and sounds great.[/quote]

As with AM's post above, hearing the skinny from someone who's actually played a particular instrument is always more interesting than uninformed 'opinion'. Very pleased you're enjoying your new guitar. Long may it make you happy. :)

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1344089003' post='1759634']
Just wiki'd that

Now thats sales talk bullshit if there ever was.
[/quote]

The story of the time was that they were made with the sweepings off the workshop floor, so - if true - at least they would have been Brazilian mahogany [s]sawdust[/s] Resonwood.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1344089338' post='1759639']
The story of the time was that they were made with the sweepings off the workshop floor, so - if true - at least they would have been Brazilian mahogany [s]sawdust[/s] Resonwood.
[/quote]

And now that Brazilian mahogany [s]sawdust[/s] Resonwood would be illegal to import to the States.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1344094472' post='1759754']
Don't forget the secret ingredient.

The fag ash from the floor too.
[/quote]

This is America we're talking about, you can't say "fag" in the UK context there. Though maybe they used to say the Sonex was made of ash <_< ?

Resonwood is actually a mixture of birch fibres & phenolic resin made under extremely high pressure.
So there. :)

I would have thought Gibson could easily offset the price of these cheap guitars by charging the ludicrous amounts of money it does for it's higher end (and often decidedly iffy quality-wise) guitars & basses.

Volumne and hoping people buy more than just the guitar. If you work on a retailler's margin of 40% of list then Gibson are getting their money the hit is with the retailler. Part will be from negotiating a bulk deal with Gibson (which also keeps Gibson's costs down), the rst will be on taking a slim margin and being efficient with a good carrier deal to keep delivery costs down.

Steve

I'd planned to change from the wraparound to an adjustable bridge, but I did a hot sweaty pub gig with it on Saturday and the intonation was and is still fine so I'm probably not going to bother.

Pics here :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183051-the-junkyard-dogs-barnes-that-london-sat-4th-august/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183051-the-junkyard-dogs-barnes-that-london-sat-4th-august/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1344264537' post='1761918']
I'd planned to change from the wraparound to an adjustable bridge[/quote]

Badasses and pigtails suck tone apparently - YMMV, of course - and the tone-pros is very pricey - £90 :o If it ain't broke, etc...

And that's a handsome little axe you've got there, Mac. Best looking of all the MM series, IMO.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1344270617' post='1762040']
Who thought about putting the volume and jack up on the scratch plate :facepalm:[/quote]

What you want me to say is 'Some jumped-up soul-less bean counter looking to save a few bob', but I prefer to think it's the same bloke who designed the Strat. Vol and tone pots - 3, count 'em, 3 - all up on the plate like three little plastic Magi come to adore the selector switch.

Does anyone complain? Do they f***!

Anyway, there's a white Gibson SG Special 60’s Tribute (P90's) on musik productiv for £431 shipped so you know what to do. :P

[url="http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/gibson-sg-sg-special-60-s-tribute-10049806.html"]http://www.musik-pro...e-10049806.html[/url]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar