Why become a member? ×

Nate mendel signature bass

Icunningham

• 3 months later...

I tried one recently, hopefully Andy won't buy it before I decide I want it.

I picked it up as a joke, I'm not a fan of Nate nor signature basses but god damn is it an awesome instrument, just feels like home and the sound is amazing.

So I'm toying with do I sell my Lakland Donald Dunn P and get this, or do I keep both put flats on the Lakland and leave this with rounds, swap the pup in the Lakland for the SPB-3 or just walk away :P

I`ve not played one of these yet, they`re not my usual colour scheme preference, not over-keen on Quarter-Pounders or Badass Bridges, nor am I a particular Nate Mendel fan (though he is a good player) but there`s just something about these basses I really seem to find myself liking. I`m going to have to play one soon just to get it out of my system.

Bass might not get out of your system. It sounds really really nice. I was looking for a somewhat oldskool P tone but not willing to spend thousands on getting it. As you can see I now have a pretty broad palette of bass tones available. None of my other basses seems capable of grasping that P presence though so I just had to...

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1370603895' post='2103276']

So I'm toying with do I sell my Lakland Donald Dunn P and get this
[/quote]

I have a horrible feeeling that if I were to try one, I'd be doing the same thing

Bit of extra contrast and more vibrance. Image taken just now in fading daylight.

The action on this bass is great, with the E and G string saddles nearly all the way down. Plays like a dream. Honest!

Soon as I got it here today (around noon) I had to tighten the truss rod thus take off the neck. I cleaned the neck cavity and neck end since there was quite some wood dust in there and I figured this would impact the sustain of the instrument quite a bit?

I had to clean out the neck pocket on mine (over spary build up etc) to help with the alignment. Overall these basses do sound great but they could be finished a bit better regarding quality control, and I'm not talking about the soft roadworn finish!

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1370734356' post='2105071']
I had to clean out the neck pocket on mine (over spary build up etc) to help with the alignment. Overall these basses do sound great but they could be finished a bit better regarding quality control, and I'm not talking about the soft roadworn finish!
[/quote]
That goes for every Fender instrument on the planet imo, even the American built ones. You have to take off the neck anyway to setup the trussrod to your liking so np there. While at it I put the double F neck plate on there that came as an extra with the bass.

Last night I took the Nate P for a spin in the studio and played it through my Fender TB-600 amp plus SWR cabs. The earth shook.
This bass has tremendously high output with loads of BALLS. The tone of it is one of the best P bass sounds I have heard in a long time with lots of definition and sweet midrange. Also, the instrument is completely free from any interference or 50hz buzz. The Marcus Miller sig and Ric 4003 I had to fill up with copper tape to make them more quiet but this Nate Mendel signature Precision is perfect and doesn't require any tinkering or fixing.

I'm one happy camper once again!

Edited by DiMarco

• 5 months later...

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1384897539' post='2282144']
Out if interest how heavy is the lacquer on the neck? Is it similar to the CV basses?
[/quote]

Nowhere near as shiny/sticky. And not as satin as a Mexican standard.

It feels like a well played bass.

I've been waiting for a while, and a sub-8lb one really suits my current spinal issues.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I tried one of these in Dawsons in Reading (top fella assisted me, only a young kid - compared to my 37yrs - but he was happy to give me an amp and a cable and say "help yourself!" top bloke!) and this bass blew me away, it's so easy to play and I was bashing away on it for about 10mins. I tried about ten basses in all, Squiers and Fenders mostly (the Squier Jag with a single humbucker also impressed me) but this one was awesome. I've now informed my wife that I want to sell the contents of our home for one... she replied with the classic response "but do you need it?" YES I DO!!![/font]

Played one on Saturday, liked it but didn't love it.

Posted on another thread about set ups- the action was very high and this didn't help to give me a feel for the bass.

Looked lovely though, fit and finish spot on I thought. And the neck, somehow, still feels like a P neck even though it's slimmer and easier to play. It wasn't the lightest example though.

I'd like to play a couple more.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1384980051' post='2283145']
Tried mine with a shell pickguard today...

Well...that's happening.
[/quote]

I was thinking of doing the same thing when I get mine. Pics would be great if you've got any as I'd like to see what it looks like!