Why become a member? ×

please stick a spark plug up my bum

christhammer666

so got home last night started noddling along to some foo fighters wasnt really doing much for me.on goes electric wizard (return trip)
its got one of those riffs that hipnotises you. played along for most of song
all in all played for around 30 minutes
onwards and upwards hopefully same again tonight

Good thread - Some people have had experience with depression, as have I, It's the toxic mix of negative reinforcement that leads to inactivity IME... Some great advice given here... and here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/101624-depression/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/101624-depression/[/url]

Having support is important. As is getting effective treatment. IME it's far too easy to give in when you're down. IME activity is essential. Don't give yourself too much time to think if it's always negative. Exercise is great.

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1343973012' post='1757953']
so got home last night started noddling along to some foo fighters wasnt really doing much for me.on goes electric wizard (return trip)
[/quote]

Morning mate....how are things.....did you keep up the playing over the weekend? be good to yourself and keep on trying!

Regards
Ray

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1343973012' post='1757953']
[/quote]

Question : Are you practicing sat down or stood up?

I find that if I practice sat down it feels a bit like work whereas if I'm stood up then it's a lot more fun (even if it's simple and relatively boring).

• 6 years later...

I haven't touched my bass since Sunday.

I planned to debug a pedal and build another... It's 12:25 and I'm still in bed, staring at the ceiling and self-pitying

I'm not going far this way

:/

On 01/08/2012 at 17:56, icastle said:

If you set yourself too big a goal and don't meet it, you'll be back at square one.

Set yourself lots of little goals, the culmination being ready to record these tracks in September.

One thing I can tell you for certain, if you do nothing you'll look back at this time one day and kick yourself. :)

+1 About practice, the point is to do it whether you want to practice or not. Having to 'want to' practice may just make you feel worse. 

Practice in a focused way for 20 minutes, no noodling, then take ten minutes off; then come back and go another twenty. Then put the bass away, and importantly, put it out of your mind till the next practice. This kind of focus should ensure that depression doesn't run things--you do. 

• Like 2