Why become a member? ×

WEM Dominator MK1 Bass Amp?

nick

[quote name='BigRedX' post='23007' date='Jun 25 2007, 02:41 PM']Does anyone do a replcement IEC socket that fits exactly into the cutout of a Bulgin socket?[/quote]
I'd love to know that, too! I don't think anyone does, alas. You have to get creative.

[quote name='Oxblood' post='23004' date='Jun 25 2007, 02:37 PM']So your dad's a Radio Ham of some vintage, eh? Well blow me down! What's his call-sign? Next time you see him, ask if he ever got any QSL cards back in the 50s and 60s from a fellow ham called Ron Cumberlidge (call-sign G3CK):

That was my dad. This picture was taken when he was in the Signals Corps during WW2.

If your dad is still active on the air today, he might also have come across my brother Steve (call-sign G7BBF).

[b][i]RADIO AMATEURS - THE ORIGINAL WORLD-WIDE WEB ![/i][/b]

Anyhow.. back to the amp:
If the speaker lead looks fit for its purpose, I'd leave it alone. After all, it only has to transfer 17 Watts. Only replace it if it looks in any way perished, or appears to have been bodged by someone who didn't know what they were doing, Your dad will know when he looks at it.
Same goes for the mains cable. If it just enters the chassis directly through a rubber grommet and has adequate strain relief inside the chassis, you've no problems. If it plugs into the amp via one of those old round 3-pin Bulgin plugs, you should replace it with a modern IEC ("kettle plug") mains connector. Don't worry: this will not be regarded as vandalism of a classic! Bulgin plugs/sockets are not legal any more, on account of being fundamentally unsafe.

All the best to you, Nick - and 73s to your dad.[/quote]
Hi again Oxblood,
My dad's call sign is G8 [b]AMP[/b], though I'm not sure which wavelength he's on these days (in both senses!) :huh: Will ask him about QSL cards, you never know. My son's just past his test too...

Anyway back to the amp..
Don't think I'm going to bother changing mains/speaker lead's etc, it's not a deathtrap Bulgin, & [i]if it's not broken, don't fix it...
Not sure how old it is, 70's(?) - but if it's managed all this time with what it's got, who am I to start messing with it?
All the best to you mate as well, & ta for the advise & info.

Here's to 17watts of pure vintage bass tone - Rock'n'Roll!!! :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='Oxblood' post='22821' date='Jun 25 2007, 01:16 AM']It's the famous inverse square law - y'know, the one that says that in order to produce twice as much SPL you need four times as much power. As you've heard for yourself, 17 Watts can make a whole lot of of noise - and if you wanted to make twice as much noise, you'd need 68 Watts. Four times louder would require 272 Watts ...and so on.[/quote]

It's even worse than that! Twice the SPL (i.e. +10dB) requires ten times the power.

My first bass amp was a Traynor Bassmate YBA-2B combo, which had a dual 12AX7 preamp, dual EL84 power amp, and a 15" speaker in small sealed cab. Just like this:

A mere 15W or so but sounded a ton louder. However with the stock cab it wasn't loud enough to keep up with a drummer if you wanted a clean sound. I'd love to hear it through an OmniTop 212, I think that would be a seriously righteous (and LOUD) sound! (The OmniTop12 has less bass extension that the Omni10 but is usefully more sensitive and that reduced bass extension sounds more vintage).

Alex