Why become a member? ×

Bass preamps?

Maine

OK, I'm not having much luck searching.

Is there a list anywhere of all currently available bass preamps? I have a good power amp and cabs, but I'm looking for a preamp that isn't a pedal.

So far, I've found the Warwick (and Hellborg), BBE, Aguilar, Tech21, Rocktron (available? not sure), Pod, but.... there must be something else out there.

Ideally I want something with an effect send/ret, onboard compressor, onboard EQ, input level meters, balanced outputs, and I'm not interested in overdrive or distortion channels.

Help!

The Epifani Quest 2 is a good one, Alembic do a nice one, as do Demeter.

It depends on what sort of sound you're after.

My Summit audio is really nice, but doesn't have an effects loop or any of the other stuff that you're after, but sound wise it's about the best you can get, for me anyway, at least for less than a grand, mine cost £350.

I was just about to type a long list... but then remembered one of my favourite websites.

Here's a good list of bass preamps to look at!

[url="http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/"]http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/[/url]

Sounds like a Second-hand Trace SMX pre would suit you fine.
I'm not that well acquainted with Aguilar, Alembic, Demeter and the other high-enders, but do that many have on-board compression?

The only other manufacturer that features this (that I can readily recall) is Eden, and I'm not sure if they currently do a pre...

It's worth considering the fact that many pre-amps are only 1u deep (some are 2u), and as such, a rack-mounted compressor could easily be accomomdated in a 4u case. With the advent of lighter weight 1u power amps, you [i]could[/i] fill a 4u thus;

Tuner
Compressor
Pre
Power

If you use an outboard compressor it would broaden your choice of available pre-amps to... well, all of them!
Which would include not only Ampeg and SWR but some excellent (though not necessarily bass specific) pre-amps by firms such as Avalon and Joe Meek, too.

Hope this helps!

Alex.

As a man who's currently trading in his gigging rig for a pre/power rack I can offer the following:

Eden most definitely do offer a preamp. Its the WLP-100. And it kicks ass. Its very flexible and has a compressor built in.

I'm attempting to pick up the Ampeg SVP preamp as well. Ampeg have offered a number of preamps over the years although most are only 2nd hand these days. Sticking my neck out there's:
SVP-Pro - preamp section of the SVT-II, III, IV
SVP-IIP - Preamp section of SVT-II
SVP-Classic - Preamp section of the SVT-Classic
SVP-BS - Billy Sheehan signature
No on-board compressor though.

I have a Peavey MAX pre-amp which I could be persuaded to part with. It's effectively the pre-amp section of the much-rated T-MAX bass amp.

1U rack mounting, 2 channels (valve and solid state with separate EQs, either channel or blend)

cross-over, etc, etc.

Nice bit of kit.

Download the manual [url="http://www.peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/list/maxbass.cfm"]here[/url]

[quote name='coasterbass' post='187831' date='Apr 29 2008, 09:54 AM']As a man who's currently trading in his gigging rig for a pre/power rack I can offer the following:

Eden most definitely do offer a preamp. Its the WLP-100. And it kicks ass. Its very flexible and has a compressor built in.

I'm attempting to pick up the Ampeg SVP preamp as well. Ampeg have offered a number of preamps over the years although most are only 2nd hand these days. Sticking my neck out there's:
SVP-Pro - preamp section of the SVT-II, III, IV
SVP-IIP - Preamp section of SVT-II
SVP-Classic - Preamp section of the SVT-Classic
SVP-BS - Billy Sheehan signature
No on-board compressor though.[/quote]

I recently bought Billy Sheehan's advanced bass book/dvd, he was explaining his rig and the individual components it comprises of. The SVP-BSP was stunning! Plenty of control and fine tuning options.

I may get one eventually...

[quote name='andy67' post='187913' date='Apr 29 2008, 11:22 AM']I recently bought Billy Sheehan's advanced bass book/dvd, he was explaining his rig and the individual components it comprises of. The SVP-BSP was stunning! Plenty of control and fine tuning options.

I may get one eventually...[/quote]Hi Andy go an have a listen on Basstasters to the SVP BSP, it sounds so good and can easily hold its own against all the "Dolce and Gabbana" stuff.
I've got the SVP PRO and it's drive-gain mixing capability gives you a nostrel slicing distortion. Made in the USA, upgraded with five Harma Diamond valves, sweet, sweet, sweet with 1.4Kilowatt of Crown power amp.

Edited by steve-soar

Thanks for all the replies so far - keep 'em coming! You've reminded me that I've got the rackmount Behringer Pod-clone, so I'll have a play with that again.

When I have tested it previously on bass, listening through studio monitors, I didn't like the way it smoothed off the attack on each note, but it was pretty subtle. I expect I wouldn't be able to hear it via the bass cabs.