Why become a member? ×

What's the big problem with 4x10s?!

Musicman20

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1365064683' post='2034648']

Because it's better to have all the conversation in one place rather than many :)
[/quote]

Not when there is no conversation and it just consists of people's opinions. Maybe after 6months something should have changed. Maybe not.

Even have a comment in there somewhere about disproving dispersion theory because at one gig someone on the other side of the stage couldn't hear his GUITAR.

4x10s are seriously out of date now. There are far better configurations out there.

That's up to the individual. I've just move from too vertically stacked 2x10s to a monster of a 6x10 and I couldn't be happier... (mainly because an 8x10 probably wouldn't fit in my car and I almost definitely wouldn't be able to get it upstairs :lol:)

When it comes to sound there is no "better" unless you're talking about measurable facts and even they can be overridden by preference

As a talentless pub-gigging low life, any box with a driver in it that produces a semblance of low end frequency will probably do me just fine. I'm happy for the singer, guitarist and drummer to get the praise for their incredible talents lol.... ;)

Rarely are our 'stages' more than a few metres wide, and rarely are the punters much further away. But we keep em happy and get repeat bookings. The only dispersion I have to worry about is how quickly we clear the crowd when we get a bit boring.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1365067462' post='2034711']

4x10s are seriously out of date now.
[/quote]
And that's why they're so great. The more out of fashion something gets the more likely I am to be able to afford to buy one. I love my 4x10, it sounds great and cost me £40.

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1365100316' post='2035412']
How does a 2x10 compare with a 4x10 on axis? Is it just more sensitivity and power handling?
[/quote]

In theory you'll get a boost in the lower frequencies. The frequencies affected depends on the distance between the speakers. The closer the speakers, the higher the frequency that the boost starts to have an effect.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1365168599' post='2036246']
I'm really lucky to own a Techsoundsystems 6x10", 2,100 watt power handling and weighs...66lbs.

Best part is that the speakers are staggered, so the cab is a lot narrower than a 4x10", so getting up and down stairs and through doors is a breeze.
[/quote]

If ever you want to sell that then please please please put me first in line.
B)

I'm really lucky to own a Techsoundsystems 6x10", 2,100 watt power handling and weighs...66lbs.

Best part is that the speakers are staggered, so the cab is a lot narrower than a 4x10", so getting up and down stairs and through doors is a breeze.
[/quote]

That's what I loved about that cab Steve and it is a criteria for every cab that I have owned for some time... wide cabs and narrow doorways are the bane of any bassists life!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1365235316' post='2036953']
That's what I loved about that cab Steve and it is a criteria for every cab that I have owned for some time... wide cabs and narrow doorways are the bane of any bassists life!
[/quote]

Yes, my Marshall VBC412 that I had was a great cab, but being so wide (not forgetting heavy), was very difficult to shift about for one person.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1365235316' post='2036953']
....wide cabs and narrow doorways are the bane of any bassists life!....
[/quote]

I always had wheels on my 410's, 412's and 215's. Stairs were stressful, though!

Big cabs were never a problem because the van would pick you up and everyone would muck in. Now we seem to travel on our own and are less inclined to roll our sleeves up with each other’s gear.

Thank God for neo speakers.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1365153494' post='2035921']
For me the big problem is lugging them up tenement stairs. My 2x12" is lighter, goes through doors more easily and has the right proportions for the boot of a Fiesta! If I lived on the ground floor and played places that had parking, I'd be happy with a good 4x10".
[/quote]

Almost the exact same problem for me BotB!
As chris_b said - "thank God for neo speakers" And I would like to add "and Alex @Barefaced!"

[/quote]

For old times sake, I've actually gotten one of my original ND410S cabs back. Great lil cab for messing around with!