Why become a member? ×

What's the big problem with 4x10s?!

Musicman20

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1343841330' post='1756203']
I dont get why they dont work with certain heads? I have more than one head and more than one cab, they are all interchangeable.
[/quote]
Well yeah, that was my question really, though not in a technically matched way, wattage/wattage, ohms/ohms etc. Obviously some cabs work better sound-wise with some amps - not necessarily of the same manufacturer.
But Alex is aware of the gig requirements that were spec'd (assuming he can remember what it was) so I would be interested to hear what SVT3>cab recommendations there may be. Just curious, it won't kill me if there wasn't one.

Right, back on topic. Mods, feel free to mod away where necesary. There is no need for any arguments, lets keep it nice and clean. I didn't aim this at BF or Alex, it just happens those products fall into this category of 'new' cabinet designs along with the Fearfuls, etc.

I am more than happy to hear the difference and be proved wrong. I am definitely not a stubborn person...I will always try things and seem how it works personally for me.

Myself and Alex will resolve anything else via email. If it was indeed the Pro 3 that is to blame, then it's caused a lot of bother!

I still like a quality 4x10, and I still like vertical aligned 2x10s, (I have two TC cabs like this). If there is a product that can match a 4x10 output, and ill be able to gig it and be happy with the finish, quality, and tone, (the weight is last on the list) then i'd be happy to try it.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1343841617' post='1756205']
I agree entirely.

I'll even go further and say that there almost appears to be an agenda behind the thread.
[/quote]
[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1343841789' post='1756211']
Seriously? Thats like me saying 'there is an agenda behind your defence to BF'.

If you aren;t party to it, you can't tell if you'd be offended.

Alex barely visits Basschat, or barely posts, whichever, so its odd that his return is an argument.
[/quote]
[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1343842125' post='1756217']
I'm quite happy for anyone to say whether they would or wouldn't be offended, but I have been singled out, and I feel a little aggrieved, so yes, not happy.
[/quote]
I've followed it all, all day. To me it was just handbags from both sides at certain points. i don't feel there were agenda's or people being over offensive. It was just a difference of opinion. Like in everyday life. It just got a little heated sometimes. Just handbags tho!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1343841330' post='1756203']
I dont get why they dont work with certain heads? I have more than one head and more than one cab, they are all interchangeable.
[/quote]

Different voicing can combine differently. If you like a 3db cut at 3khz, you can like 3khz cut by the cab, or by the amp, but might not like 6db cut when its from both.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1343845160' post='1756285']
I've got a couple of spud guns for hire. Good powerful ones too. :yarr:
[/quote]

Could you tell me what kind of spuds should be used with them; and have you got a graph of the wave the trajectory makes?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1343845601' post='1756302']
Is it better than a water pistol at chasing off cats?
[/quote]
Yes, according to the sales guy at catshooters direct. But only if you get a new lightweight one like they have in stock at the moment.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1343847105' post='1756333']
You would have a greater area covered with two handbags swinging at once!
[/quote]

Yeah, but it's already been established, it's not the area that counts - it's the actual movement of that area.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1343815974' post='1755546']
I don't have a problem with my 4x10, it sounds great.
[/quote]

+1 to that.
Ive used 410 cabs for years and love em :)
I also have 210 & 112 cabs that I use but it is always the 410 I come back too.

I have Epifani cabs which are light .
For me, the 410 is the one cab that can do it all .

I used to use a Mesa/Boogie Diesel 4x10" and liked it a lot... until I got 2 1x15" cabs instead.
They make things a lot easier on the old back and the higher cab definitely helps me to hear things more clearly as it's nearer my ears than the back of my knees! Then there's the current subject of having better dispersion and more sensitivity due to the coupling of the cabs.

All IMO & IME of course :D

Don't like the sound of the 'high tech' cabs you've heard? Love the sound of your 410s? Really need better dispersion*?

Try some thing like these:

Or just stack two of those smaller ones. Vertically of course. ;)

[size=1]* As if[/size]

Edited by Musky

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1343847483' post='1756345']
This thread's taken a turn for the better :lol:
[/quote]It should have ended at post #3. That's when the answer to the original question was given, most of what has been posted since has been silly catterwallering. Little wonder Alex seldom comes here any more. If one doesn't want the opinion of an expert in the field one should not ask the question to begin with. Unless they be trolling, of course.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1343850069' post='1756396']
Don't like the sound of the 'high tech' cabs you've heard? Love the sound of your 410s? Really need better dispersion*?

Try some thing like these:

Or just stack two of those smaller ones. Vertically of course. ;)

[size=1]* As if[/size]
[/quote]

I'll get me hacksaw out tomorrow!