Why become a member? ×

What to do in Glasgow during the day this thursday

steve

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1343811644' post='1755456']
I don't think that chippies necessarily have deep fried Mars bars on their priceboard but most chippies that I know sell sweeties. Just ask them to deep fry you a mars bar?!?! If they sell Mars bars, there's nothing stopping them dipping it in batter and flinging it in the fryer...
[/quote]

A lot of the Edinburgh ones have stopped. Something about, if the batter has even a small hole in it the Mars melts out of it & ruins the fat which then has to be drained off & changed.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1344161934' post='1760462']
I've played Glasgow a few times, we always end up parking the van in the big car park by the 13th note and checking out the little guitar shop and cafe/record shop immediately opposite. I had a wander round last time and couldn't tell you where I went but I was suprised at how cool Glasgow was. Never trust stereotypes! Really nice city and Scotland in general is very cool. I was going to go on holiday there but bought some new music gear instead.
[/quote]

Glasgow is awesome and definitely doesn't (entirely) deserve the reputation.

As someone who grew up in Glasgow, I can honestly say that I've had far hairier moments in places like Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds than I ever had at home in Glasgow. In Manchester they had police on the night buses and in Nottingham I went through a metal detector to get into a night club---both of which are unheard of in supposedly "scary" Glasgow!!

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1343768248' post='1755041']
When I used to go thru a lot (I had a girlfriend in Kirkintilloch) there was a cracking used guitar shop away down past Central Station. [b]I remember there was a shop two doors along from it where the neds used to buy their chibs - but also sold used guitars too.[/b]
[/quote]

My bold - Victor Morris. Really really dodgy shop - the PA/music gear was all second hand (i.e probably stolen and sold on). In fact the only new stuff they stocked was the knives and crossbows. WTF would you need a crossbow for in the centre of Glasgow? Dealing with the grey squirrels in Kelvingrove Park - I remain unconvinced. Was quite pleased when they closed, but then realised that they were just consolidating their dodgy gear in the Guitar Store just up the street, which they also owned - Doh!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1344190207' post='1760967']
Glasgow is awesome and definitely doesn't (entirely) deserve the reputation.

As someone who grew up in Glasgow, I can honestly say that I've had far hairier moments in places like Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds than I ever had at home in Glasgow. In Manchester they had police on the night buses and in Nottingham I went through a metal detector to get into a night club---both of which are unheard of in supposedly "scary" Glasgow!!
[/quote]

Agreed.

Now Livingstone on the other hand...

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1344195282' post='1761112']
My bold - Victor Morris. Really really dodgy shop[/quote]

That's the one! I once saw a guy, stoned out of his mind, coming out of there, carrying a new, unsheathed machete that I assume he'd just bought. Opened up his coat & slipped it into an inside pocket; "must be going to weed his garden" my mate said. <_<

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1344190207' post='1760967']
in Nottingham I went through a metal detector to get into a night club---both of which are unheard of in supposedly "scary" Glasgow!!
[/quote]

Au contraire, I saw Motorhead twice at The Barrowlands & had to go thru metal-detectors both times. Most of the fans were pissing themselves laughing since the studs & rings etc were setting them off on every person.
We were also advised by the landlord - to leave the pub next door for being English "if ye dinnae want yir throats cut". The same night - after the gig the taxi driver dropped us "at wan o' oor kinda places", it was The Cathouse - got talking to some locals there & they wouldn't let us put our hands in our pockets all night.
I've still got mates in the area, all of who could swap tale for tale with any other city.

My bold - Victor Morris. Really really dodgy shop - the PA/music gear was all second hand (i.e probably stolen and sold on). In fact the only new stuff they stocked was the knives and crossbows. WTF would you need a crossbow for in the centre of Glasgow? Dealing with the grey squirrels in Kelvingrove Park - I remain unconvinced. Was quite pleased when they closed, but then realised that they were just consolidating their dodgy gear in the Guitar Store just up the street, which they also owned - Doh!
[/quote]

Along with the Huge Knives and replica AK47s they also used to sell coshes (ie heavy leather things to beat people unconscious with).. Maybe they still sell them?

They also sold accordians.

[url="http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-news/news/2010/01/21/controversial-victor-morris-gun-store-to-close-after-62-years-102692-21984060/"]http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-news/news/2010/01/21/controversial-victor-morris-gun-store-to-close-after-62-years-102692-21984060/[/url]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1344201313' post='1761265']
Au contraire, I saw Motorhead twice at The Barrowlands & had to go thru metal-detectors both times. Most of the fans were pissing themselves laughing since the studs & rings etc were setting them off on every person.
[/quote]

I'd forgotten about the Barrowlands having metal detectors, right enough. Some of the pubs in the East End are totally nuts but there are places like that all over the UK. You'd probably be out of your mind to go into a dodgy looking pub anywhere in the country!

[/quote]

Horrible shop. Glad they've closed. Really don't care for the Guitar Store either. Never been made to feel very welcome in it.