Why become a member? ×

GK 1001RB vs Ampeg SVT4PRO vs SWR 750x vs Warwick Xtreme 10.1

Hi just wanting to get your opinions on any of these heads, i'm looking to buy a new head (would love a 2001rb but really i don't need that much power) i play metal mainly looking for a nice growly tone, kind of Mike D'Antonio or Justin Chancellor style, just interested to see if any of you use these heads and what you personally would recommend?

I've always loved the SVT3, I owned one for years and only moved it on out of necessity, still miss it. The 4 is essentially a higher powered version of the same thing. Will definitely do growly for you.

I haven't got personal experience of the Warwick stuff but ny usual rehearsal rooms had a bunch of them as house backline and they had terrible reliability issues - they were there lower models though, don't know how different the 10.1 is.

Can't add anything on the others apart from to say that I've heard both in action at gigs and they sound fantastic - don't think you could go far wrong with either of them or the Ampeg.

I had the GK head once. Really regret selling it and would get another in a heartbeat if cash allowed. Don't be sold on the bi amp feature tho as that's the biggest load of nonsense ever. you cant adjust the crossover point and it's set stupidly high.

More love for the GK - got a couple of them. Had an Ampeg SVT3 and liked it, but always seemed to have
to run it well up to get decent volume, whereas the GK just keeps on going. Both been very reliable so far,
and not stupid heavy at around 19lbs.The boost control lets you dial in a bit of growl if that your thing too.