Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 500 into 800 watt 4ohm cab

Ejb

Hi

Would it be okay to hook up a Ashdown ABM Evo ll 500 into a Schroeder 2x12 800 watt 4ohm cab?

Not getting much top out of my Genz Benz STM 900 so might need to go back to the Ashdown, just need to know if I need a 8ohm cab or lower wattage 4ohm.

Thanks in advance.

John

Seems to be fine.
The cab is rated higher than the full output of the head, the minimum 4 ohms in met (otherwise you could run one or two 8 ohm cabs instead of a single 4 ohm one). I suppose just listen out for any farting, etc if you really drive your amp/cab to ear-crushing high volumes.

Edited by Alec 'Aleb' Mills

I used to run an ABM500 into a 4 ohm SChroeder 410, and the ABM couldn't even make it break into a sweat. I think you'll be fine. THe ABM's 575 watts are not very generous.
I'm surprised that you think you'll get a load more top end out of an ABM though (and I co-incidentally I currently also run a streamliner 900). My ABM was always rather lacking there. I found that SChroeder cabs were also not ideal if top end is what you are looking for, being highly mid-dominated. Might be worth looking at a different cab rather than a different amp.

But, ultimately, on purely amp/cab matching grounds, I'd be surprised if you stressed your Schroeder cab much with the ABM,, unless you tried putting the entire ABM output into it with a very bass-heavy sound.

Thanks for your replies..

My worry was that the amp will be working to hard, something I read a while ago when I read putting a lower wattage amp into the higher rated cab could damage the amp as the amp will be working to hard?

Might get the GB checked as at last nights gig I had the Treble on full, Mid at just less than 3/4 Bass about 1/2, Mid mid switch 2.5 and was still quite boomy. Used my P Bass and had Treble full?

Any comments advice?

Cheers

John

[quote name='Ejb' timestamp='1343465871' post='1751099']putting a lower wattage amp into the higher rated cab could damage the amp as the amp will be working to hard?[/quote]

It doesn't work like that. The amp's power rating tells you how much (clean) power it can give. The cab's power rating tells you how much it will tolerate - not how much it demands.

Edited by dincz

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1343466289' post='1751102']
turn the bass down on the streamliner i have the bass knob set at 10 o'clock and there's still plenty of low end
[/quote]

+1.

Bass at 9 to 10 o'clock is usually about right on the Streamliner. It has a huge amount of bass otherwise.

Schroeder cabs are high power rated, and very loud. I`d be surprised if you`d need to push a Schroeder past it`s capabilities. With my 4ohm 410, my GK MB Fusion 500 doesn`t go over 9 o`clock on volume, for gigs.

One thing though, they are very mid-present (though do have a great amount of low-end handling ability) so when you try one out, expect it to sound scratchy/nasally. They`re not too pleasant on their own, but in the mix - well that`s why I love `em.