Why become a member? ×

Thinking of switching to flats

Evil Undead

Thanks to Mr Lozz, I now have a set of Chromes on my Precision :)

They feel very strange, and I've had to lower my action as the tension was much higher than the elixirs. They sound great so far. I'll have to play along with some metal tracks to see how they fit.

One thing that concerned me is I had to tighten the truss rod by 1/8 turn - would have turned it more but I can get it to move any more... uh oh

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1343718061' post='1753961']
Thanks to Mr Lozz, I now have a set of Chromes on my Precision :)

They feel very strange, and I've had to lower my action as the tension was much higher than the elixirs. They sound great so far. I'll have to play along with some metal tracks to see how they fit.

One thing that concerned me is I had to tighten the truss rod by 1/8 turn - would have turned it more but I can get it to move any more... uh oh
[/quote]

If you decide you like the sound of the Chromes but not the tension, have a look at the Fender flats. I switched to them for that reason and I really like them.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1343721726' post='1754009']
If you decide you like the sound of the Chromes but not the tension, have a look at the Fender flats. I switched to them for that reason and I really like them.
[/quote]

The thing is that they feel quite hard on my fretting hand but they've allowed me to get my action down to a touch over 1mm (!) without buzz. And I really like that aspect.

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1343722656' post='1754025']
IME the higher tension (actually compliance, I believe) becomes less of an issue as they break in. I've got them on my P and L2000 and I think they're fantastic strings both for the sound and how they play. Stick with them!
[/quote]

I shall try :) I'll give them at least a week. I know that if I do switch back to rounds I'll be annoyed that I have to raise my action haha!

But I am very concerned about not being able to turn my truss rod any further...

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1343735000' post='1754301']
I shall try :) I'll give them at least a week. I know that if I do switch back to rounds I'll be annoyed that I have to raise my action haha!

But I am very concerned about not being able to turn my truss rod any further...
[/quote]

How exactly are you trying to adjust the truss rod? Not being funny, serious question.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1343737183' post='1754341']
How exactly are you trying to adjust the truss rod? Not being funny, serious question.
[/quote]

It's a fair question. I'm notoriously sh!t with truss rods.

I loosened the strings and unbolted the neck (heel adjustment) and tilted it back so the nut was away from the body. Stuck my tool in the hole (oo-er) and turned clockwise. It shifted about 1/8 of a turn. And then I couldn't turn it any more, although I didn't try to force it.

When I got the bass I adjusted it about 1/4 of a turn with no problem when I was setting it up, so I would think that a truss rod should have more than 3/8 of a turn in it from brand new.

Fair enough :) What might help & is worth always doing - is to - if you're working on your own, position the bass so that you can apply hand pressure to the neck to relieve the stress from the rod before you try turning the adjuster. In other words if you want to tighten the rod, put a backwards bow into the neck with hand pressure first. After loosening everything as above :rolleyes: If you've got someone with you to help then it's easier :huh:

Hope this helps,
John

Chromes give that hollow, thuddy classic P-bass tone. Pure nickels, like the T-I and the Optimas, will give you the "Macca" tone.

As for me, +1 on the Fender 9050CL 45-60-80-105 steel flats. They're growly when you want them to be; mellow when you need them to be; absolutely consistent string-to-string and up the neck; they don't "clank"; they don't "thud"; they last "forever"; and they're economical compared to a lot of sets. These are the strings that converted me from a round wound guy to flats after decades of playing. I use them for everything from Friday night to Sunday morning.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1343739300' post='1754389']
Fair enough :) What might help & is worth always doing - is to - if you're working on your own, position the bass so that you can apply hand pressure to the neck to relieve the stress from the rod before you try turning the adjuster. In other words if you want to tighten the rod, put a backwards bow into the neck with hand pressure first. After loosening everything as above :rolleyes: If you've got someone with you to help then it's easier :huh:

Hope this helps,
John
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll give it a try :) doesn't sound like an easy thing to do by myself so might try and get the other half involved!

Do Fender truss rods turn both ways?

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1343738986' post='1754381']
It's a fair question. I'm notoriously sh!t with truss rods.

I loosened the strings and unbolted the neck (heel adjustment) and tilted it back so the nut was away from the body. Stuck my tool in the hole (oo-er) and turned clockwise. It shifted about 1/8 of a turn. And then I couldn't turn it any more, although I didn't try to force it.

When I got the bass I adjusted it about 1/4 of a turn with no problem when I was setting it up, so I would think that a truss rod should have more than 3/8 of a turn in it from brand new.
[/quote]

I find it also helps to turn slightly anti-clockwise before going the other way, just to ease it in ;)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1343417994' post='1750581']
Your frets are wearing down after three months?
What are they made of - butter?
[/quote]

this

are you hitting them with a hammer or something instead of fretting efficiently with optimum effort? ;)

and to paraphrase mr suggs .... you need a box of something with a fetherlite touch :P

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1343759016' post='1754813']
This truss rod thing is really bugging me, haha! I don't need to adjust it again right now but should I be worried about what's gonna happen when/if I need to adjust it again? Or should I deal with that when/if it happens?[/quote]

Personally I would get someone in the know to have a quick look just in case there's a manufacturing fault or some other problem with the truss rod. But then I'm a worrier, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if there was nothing amiss. :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343759708' post='1754834']
Personally I would get someone in the know to have a quick look just in case there's a manufacturing fault or some other problem with the truss rod. But then I'm a worrier, anyway.[b] I wouldn't be surprised if there was nothing amiss[/b]. :D
[/quote]

Excellently put, that'll poor the OP at ease :lol:

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1343760260' post='1754851']
Excellently put, that'll poor the OP at ease :lol:[/quote]

Oh yes, I'm well-known for being reassuring and putting people at their ease. ;)
What I meant was, I doubt anything is wrong with it - as you well know!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343760376' post='1754852']
Oh yes, I'm well-known for being reassuring and putting people at their ease. ;)
What I meant was, I doubt anything is wrong with it - as you well know!
[/quote]

Do apologise, for some reason, only known to the hidden recesses of my brain, I read "nothing amiss" as something amiss. I am an arse. I'll freely admit I must make an appointment with the opticians, a reminder letter turned up the other day. :)