Why become a member? ×

rotosounds

mushers

is it just me that finds these strings a bit harsh on the fingers and frets ?

put some on about a month ago cleaned up the fretboard beforehand started to play and...... they were tearing my finger tips up :(

also noticed after a very short time they sounded a bit muddy on the bottom end, took them off today to test run some EB coated started to clean the board and noticed grooves cut in the frets >.< these grooves arent just where the string sat but seems everytime i bent a note they were cutting in and deifinately were not there a month ago

anyone else noticed anything similar ?

Aw, a Roto noob ;)

They can feel fairly rough on the fingers alright. Funnily enough I actually like them when the've been on a bass for 12 odd months, thats seems to be when everything settles and theres a uniform degree of "thud".

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1343414527' post='1750493']
Aw, a Roto noob ;)

They can feel fairly rough on the fingers alright. Funnily enough I actually like them when the've been on a bass for 12 odd months, thats seems to be when everything settles and theres a uniform degree of "thud".
[/quote]

Me too, I generally dislike the newness to the sound, and far prefer them once they`ve aged.

There, Rotos are like a fine whisky, matured over time :)

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1343419154' post='1750621']
Horrible strings. They feel rough, wear quickly, and never sound good to me.

But as sixdegrees says, there are some pretty good bass players out there who [b](get paid to)[/b] like them!

[/quote]

There you go..fixed that for you

I've got a set on my VC - after probably less than 20 hours use they suddenly "died" - all the brightness went out of them and now they just sound muddy..

As Roger Daltrey said.."I won't get fooled again.."

There was a time when it was difficult to find anything other than Roto or Picato on the high street, but that was the '70s. Now, with access to so many quality strings, there's no excuse for using this sh*t. Roto, worst string I've ever played, and that includes the outrageously expensive James Howe Signature Edition in the '90s.

Adore Rotosounds, love steels, wear my frets more than my fingers which is still afair amount :lol:

Have played 3 hour shows with them and not had anything in the way of bleeding fingers (from playing) a few scrapes is about it. I really like the rough feel and love the tone.

Downside is due to my favouring of certain areas and sides of the fretboard is my Yammy may need another fret leveling soon!

They might as well call the strings Marmite Bass 66, people seem to either love them or hate them!

Personally, I love them. Regardless of which other strings I try, I always end up going back to Rotos. You're right, they do feel rough at first but this soon wears off, and once they are worn in there are no strings out there which I would rather be playing, for feel or sound. Still, that doesn't stop me from looking for something which can better them!

As for fret wear, this is not something that I have noticed that much of myself, but then I'm not too meticulous with my fret maintenance. A quick once over with a splash of Mr Sheen does it for me! :D