Why become a member? ×

Unrecognised / Forgotten Bass Influences

xilddx

[quote name='Tonteee' timestamp='1450832461' post='2936359']
Hi all,

If I may, I'd like to throw in Chris Glen - most influentially (for me) when with the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, but has also done stints with MSG and other miscellany.
[/quote] B[b]eat me to it :) I love Chris's playing with SAHB , 'Hot City Symphony ' brilliant stuff . I'll add Alan Lancaster from the original Quo line up too . [/b]

I'd like to say that Tony Butler and Louise Howard (Red Guitars) were influences, but unfortunately my playing is nothing like theirs, so they'll go down as inspirations.

Paul Gardiner, Jamie Stewart and Simon Gallup are influences who have already been mentioned in this thread. I'd also include Rob Jones (The Bass Thing) from The Wonder Stuff, Nick Chown from The Bolshoi and Jackie Jackson from The Maytals.

Edited by TransistorBassMan

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' timestamp='1450881243' post='2936666']
I'd like to say that Tony Butler and Louise Howard (Red Guitars) were influences, but unfortunately my playing is nothing like theirs, so they'll go down as inspirations.

Paul Gardiner, Jamie Stewart and Simon Gallup are influences who have already been mentioned in this thread. I'd also include Rob Jones (The Bass Thing) from The Wonder Stuff, Nick Chown from The Bolshoi and Jackie Jackson from The Maytals.
[/quote]

I'd totally forgotten about Lou Howard, I loved her playing. Steeltown and Be With Me were excellent tracks with wonderful basslines. She played a Stingray, if memory serves.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

• 2 weeks later...

Jonny B Gayden...with Albert Colllins just fantastic groove & funk... Roscoe Beck with Robben Fords Blue Line... Brillliant!!! As a kid i used to watch Colin Hogkinson with Back Door.... He's an Original for Sure & deserves greater acclaim'... Verdine White from EWF.. just too many great' great players!!!!!!

As a non-obvious influence on my own playing, I'd mention Rose Simpson from the Incredible String Band. Apparently she had not been a musician before meeting Mike Heron but ended up playing bass simply because she was around, though she would seem to have picked it up quickly and I like a lot of the lines she played. She played quite simple lines with a nice feel to them, with a very odd one-finger plucking technique.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg4VdknBjv4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg4VdknBjv4[/url]

• 1 month later...

Randy Meisner is, in my opinion, underrated. His playing on Outlaw Man is the song.

Others are John Taylor and of course Macca - again rarely played Beatles tune Hey Bulldog amazing driving bassline

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1450359541' post='2932006']
Have only skimmed the thread, so dunno if these have been mentioned. Whats bound to influence you most, I reckon, is what you listen to when you first start to come up with your own lines. In my case that will be around 1972 to 74.
So heres my two bobs worth.

Larry Taylor
John Ford
Rod Clements
Randy Meisner.
Entwhistle.

Never a Beatles fan, but we all grew up hearing Maccas Bass lines everyday, so he must be in there somewhere, same with Carol Kaye.

And as I must have seen him playing in pubs and clubs at least a couple or 3 times a week, Trevor Burton must have had an effect. Good solid no frills R&B.
[/quote]

Edited by Stamford

Loads, but the obvious ones I'd pick out are Jamerson, Alan Mair (The Only Ones) and Billy Talbot (Crazy Horse).

Jamerson because I only have to hear one his lines to want to go home and pick up my bass, which is important as I don't practice anywhere near as much as I should.

Alan Mair's work was what inspired me to stop being a very casual player and learn how to play a bit. I still listen to the Only Ones and have done since I was kid. I'm very fond of his tone and timing.

Billy Talbot's influence is co-incidental, as much as I like him. Being in a Neil Young tribute has necessitated assimilation of his style somewhat.