Why become a member? ×

Unrecognised / Forgotten Bass Influences

xilddx

I think it was Mike Rutherford that really made me notice the bass before I started playing. I can't say I play anything like him (I wish!) as I have only really played in cover bands, but a truly inspirational bass player

Edit: Oh, and Roger Glover

Edited by Norris

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1343651283' post='1753067']
[sup]Not sure who bassist was on Nikita by Elton John but that sound rather than the actual notes played had an influence on me.[/sup]
[sup]I love a nice punchy sharp mid sounding bass for most things.[/sup]
[sup]Although i play in a calssic rock band and it doesn't work - damn !!!![/sup]

[sup]Dave [/sup]
[/quote]
[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1343659331' post='1753244']

five different bassists listed on the album credits but doesnt say who did what [url="http://www.allmusic.com/album/ice-on-fire-mw0000190514/credits"]h[/url][url="http://www.allmusic.com/album/ice-on-fire-mw0000190514/credits"]ttp://www.allmusic.com/album/ice-on-fire-mw0000190514/credits [/url]
my guess would be pino or deon estus (maybe the sleeve notes might shed some light?)
[/quote]

How late is too late... My understanding is that it was the fabulous David Paton of Pilot, Alan Parsons Project and Kate Bush fame. Top player and, appropriately one of my influences.

Many others have been mentioned - Murray and Lynott in particular. But here are a couple more from left field/obscuresville...

Kelly Groucutt from ELO
http://youtu.be/aQUlA8Hcv4s

And Barry Devlin from Horslips

http://youtu.be/y5G8AJf4Xzw

Loving the daft shamrock shaped bass!

http://youtu.be/K7cfNEW3pCY

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1343829775' post='1755911']
And him! So tasteful. Shame he's given up on music.
[/quote]

There is some hope. Colin seems to have softened on the being [i]completely uninterested in music[/i] line.

Last year he made an appearance as guest vocalist on [url=http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014/06/26/one-track-mind-days-between-stations-with-xtcs-colin-moulding-the-man-who-died-two-times-2014/]The Man Who Died Two Times[/url] by [color=#211F1F]Days Between Stations (with Tony Levin playing bass) and this year he seems to have been playing bass on the soundtrack of a musical named Paper Hearts[/color]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134151756@N08/21038080801/in/dateposted/d

and singing on a concept album about Galileo

http://www.melodicrock.com/articles/news-feed/2015/10/14/billy-sherwood-“just-galileo-and-me”-feat-colin-moulding-xtc

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1343218307' post='1747165']
ian masters from the pale saints.

not that i'd imagine anyone has heard of him, or the brilliant pale saints, which is a shame.
[/quote]

Saw them in 1989 supporting Firehose, great gig. I remember he was playing a Westone Thunder 1A just like the one I had.

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1450102459' post='2929558']
Saw them in 1989 supporting Firehose, great gig. I remember he was playing a Westone Thunder 1A just like the one I had.
[/quote]

That's right, and a Jazz bass if I remember rightly. Still got a very soft spot for them.

For me it was those first bands/albums I got into.

So people like Steve Harris, Aerosmith's Tom Hamilton and Duff McKagan from G'n'R really influenced me from the outset.

Tho weirdly, the huge thudding bass from dance music I listened to a lot in my early 20s has also been an influence in terms of providing big, fat, pounding basslines.

Greg Kriesel from The Offspring inspired me, and im sure many others.

he has never been an in your face kinda player, has some nice lines within a punk setting (why don't you get a job for example) and holds down the rhythm and drives the band.

Always quite liked Hugh McDonald, as well as being a long serving uncredited member of bon jovi, his session work is extensive.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1450118496' post='2929800']
Jimmy Johnson,whose work with James Taylor I've always admired.I also believe that either him or his father had a hand in developing the first 5-string bass with Alembic.
[/quote]

Top top player. His work with JT is amazing (as was Mr Sklar's, of course!).

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1450127180' post='2929915']
He was one of the guys that made me live bass. A much funkier player than any blues rock based group ever deserved to have. Love his playing on Fool For Your Loving
[/quote]
I really like pre 1987 whitesnake. I thought they had some great players, tunes and vocalist!

Edited by Lord Sausage

A lot of my pals were into metal and fellas like Pete Way and Jimmy Bain were Godsends.As were the fellas in Anti-Nowhere League,Angelic Upstarts and Exploited.
Just listening to a tune a few times and going " Aye I can play that " was great. Wouldn't say it stretched me much as a player,but that was never the plan.

Funny I looked up Neil Murray yesterday just to see what he was up to,he's doing alright it seems.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1450240036' post='2930847']

Funny I looked up Neil Murray yesterday just to see what he was up to,he's doing alright it seems.
[/quote]

Still gigs a lot with various superannuated blues rockers from the 80s (not meant in a derogatory manner - I'd love to catch A Company Of Snakes, Snakecharmer or similar some time...). Spent many moons being John Deacon at the Dominion Theatre in London too, so I understand.

89s/90s indie casualty so guys like Laurence Donegan from the Commotions, Les Pattinson from the Bunnymen, and Simon Gallup from The Cure were big learning influences. Also, limited technique (hey never stopped Dee Dee Ramone) but Kim Deal from the Pixies was also stellar. To this day, I cannot pick up a Precision and not knock out a coupla lines of Debaser and/or Gigantic if there's a plectrum lying around.

Have only skimmed the thread, so dunno if these have been mentioned. Whats bound to influence you most, I reckon, is what you listen to when you first start to come up with your own lines. In my case that will be around 1972 to 74.
So heres my two bobs worth.

Larry Taylor
John Ford
Rod Clements
Randy Meisner.
Entwhistle.

Never a Beatles fan, but we all grew up hearing Maccas Bass lines everyday, so he must be in there somewhere, same with Carol Kaye.

And as I must have seen him playing in pubs and clubs at least a couple or 3 times a week, Trevor Burton must have had an effect. Good solid no frills R&B.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='tubbybloke68' timestamp='1343581606' post='1752320']
Hi guys ! Can I just add Colin moulding of XTC , very tuneful , thoughtful player and never gets the credit he deserves in my opinion :-)
[/quote]

Yes! Sadly underrated musician. Sadly underrated band actually, too.

One of the first bass players I really listened too and was influenced by is Mark Bedford from Madness. Pretty much every single Madness ever released had a driving, melodic (and often funky) bass line. I think he's really underrated and if you don't know it, check out a track called The Business - first bass line I every learnt to play!

I saw Neil Murray gigging with Bernie marsden in the summer. He's still got it! One of my first truly inspirational players along with Steve Harris.

Whilst we're talking about whitesnake, I didn't see if anyone had mentioned Colin hodgkinson. What a player!! Between whitesnake and back door there's a good bit of material out there.

I'm encouraged to see mention of stu morrow. I spent a lot of time chatting with him when he was playing with slammer. Top dude, and really encouraging.

Jim smith from cardiacs also gets a vote from me. The lines he plays fit beautifully into the eclectic arrangements of the bands music. I'm wondering whether Tim actually wrote the parts though. Either way the lines, and the tone from that Ricky really work well in the context

Edited by dudewheresmybass