Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

Its embarrasing, but I learned Don't Stop Believing by Journey.
I never got around to it when I first started, and I just kinda realized "Hey, I should know this."

I've been doing that a lot lately.
Slow Ride
Lots of Boston songs

I've been in a lot of metal bands, and I never really went and learned the old fashioned bar band stuff

Hey new to this forum and the bass for that matter so just finding my was around this site..been reading the posts on this thread for a few days now and picking up some great ideas.

Anyway only been playing bass for 2 months the 1st song i learned was "On call" from kings of leon...amazing catchy bass line even better when its live and you see the response it gets from the crowd....as with "slow night so long" by kings of leon both riffs stick in your head allday.

The latest 1 im learning is "Little green bag" by George Baker selectioin.....theme tune to reservoir dogs..picked it up pretty quick and soungs great.

Great forum!!!!!

Edited by BassNovice

[quote name='Doc B' post='186243' date='Apr 27 2008, 12:37 AM']For the past few days I've been unable to get Joy Division's 'Digital' out of my head - hypnotic bass and vocals. I mentioned this to my wife and she suggested putting the song on when we got home - so I dug out my Joy Division Substance CD (the first CD I ever bought).

Next thing I picked up my new Squier VM 70s Jazz and worked out the bassline, closely followed the line for Transmission. Lovely![/quote]

Men at Work - Land of under
Dreadlock holiday - 10cc love this bass line
Jamiroquai - space cowboy ( a relearn, this time i learnt the live version)

Going to be jamming with a Rush-fan drummer soon, so I've had to dust down a few lines I haven't played for a decade or two - plus a few I've never played, so Beneath, Between & Behind has just got a couple of run-throughs. Nice & straightforward for a Rush song, so I set myself the challenge of learning the instrumental part of Free Will note-perfect - I've never worked it out properly before.

Feeling quite pleased with myself because although it might still be a bit untidy, I think I've nailed it. :)

Jon.

• 3 weeks later...

"Have you ever seen the rain" Creedence Clearwater...

Lovely. The feel induces the feeling, if you know what I mean. I started brain wandering while repeating the slow downward passage and found myself playing the melody from the "The Weight" by the Band.

Balcro.

the 29th first notes of the solo in the beginning of the "cherockee" jazz song.....the victor wooten version....
in slow motion!!!
with chance i will do it at the rignt speed when i will have 80 years old.
...if i can go so fast at this respectable age!

DOES IT MEAN THAT I WILL NEVER DO IT RIGHT!!!!!
so sad..
i return to work "smoke on the water"... :)

Edited by jobistre

[quote name='Balcro' post='852583' date='May 31 2010, 01:40 PM']"Have you ever seen the rain" Creedence Clearwater...

Lovely. The feel induces the feeling, if you know what I mean. I started brain wandering while repeating the slow downward passage and found myself playing the melody from the "The Weight" by the Band.

Balcro.[/quote]

Have you ever seen the rain was on the radio the other day and I thought the same. What lovely little run downs that really make the song.

It doesn't have to be fast, complicated or both to be a very tasty "makes the song" bass line :)

Three songs this week for the band...

Empire by Kasabian
You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
The Real McCoy by The Silencers

I'm also trying to hone my transcribing skills - I seem to have latched on to a load of old prog stuff, mostly Genesis and Marillion. No hope for me.

Helping a mate at his band auditions but not joining ..

She's Strage by Cameo
Secret Rendezvous by Rene and Angele
Risin to the top by Keni Burke

80's style funk pop.
Needs more discipline than I normally employ so a bit of a stretch :)

Irma Thomas "I won't cry for you" nice blues rhumba
Sam & Dave "When Something is Wrong Wth My Baby" dead straightforward but works well for the song - just hope it's not on the banned list!
Dr John "Stack-A-Lee" Lovely, quick, unusual walking bass.

More Dr John and some Little Feat to come - so refreshing after being subjected to the likes of Summer of 69 in the past :)