Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

Try a little harder - Thin Lizzy B-side. And I've re-learnt a load of stuff I forgot how to play in my 10 year break!

Also managed the intro/ first part of the verse to "Runaway" by Jamiriqui

Edited by Nibody

Ive learnt quite a few over the last 2 months after my few years off. Loads of fun and not many songs Ive played before. Having said that the last song I learnt was 'Mountains' by Biffy Clyro, the band played it for the first time at saturdays gig and went ok. I certainly love playing it.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1323080525' post='1458882']
SADE - Smooth Operator (its got a solo bit)
...[/quote]

Strangely enough, that was the [b]first[/b] bass line I ever learned... like when it was in the charts.
Not my type of music but my brother played it all the time and it got into my head and it seemed like a good place to start. I'd been playing punk riffs on guitar prior to that. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1323081853' post='1458907']
Strangely enough, that was the [b]first[/b] bass line I ever learned... like when it was in the charts.
Not my type of music but my brother played it all the time and it got into my head and it seemed like a good place to start. I'd been playing punk riffs on guitar prior to that. :)
[/quote]
Just pleased that is was done on a real bass and not a synth like a lot of the other tunes i have been asked to learn. Quite a nice tidy bassline.

Inspired by all the Slade love on BC recently, I sat down on Saturday and tried to work out the bass line to Everyday.
OK, so it's quite slow and simple, but then so am I!! :)

Took me about an hour to get it. Then I wrote it all down on a stave with proper notes and everything. Going to show it to my teacher on Sat and ask him to check that I have got it right. Have to make sure I maintain my position as top girly swot! :)

the last songs i learnt were come on come over by jaco with sam and dave and you know im good by amy winehouse. both songs are for a cover set my band plays once a month at a pub. we usually do our own stuff but its good fun to play these cover sets once a month!

both songs are really fun to play!

From next Sunday I'm depping for a few weeks in the house band at a local jam. The main player in the trio is basically a walking jukebox so I'll be cramming in as much stuff this week as I possibly can from 60's onwards pop blues soul rock etc. Did it last year and it's a real test trying to transcribe stuff I've barely learned original vs of into new keys on the spot!

Learned the line by Bernard Odum for the James Brown song [i]'I Feel Good'[/i]
Learned the line by Oteil Burbridge for The Tedeschi Trucks Band song [i]'Midnight In Harlem'[/i] written by Michael Mattison. Composed a new line to the song [i]'Valentine Always' [/i]by Patrick Begley.
Re-imagined a dozen or so lines to new songs by Iain Wraith.

Edited by mckendrick

I`ve been on a DB tip for the past week getting a "sunday afternoon" set together so, I`ve been playing things like Feists Limit to your love and Jeff Buckleys Lover,you should have come over,and Adeles version of the Cures Lovesong (sounds great with a DB),mixed in with Some Etta James jazz stuff.
Tired fingers but happy heart. :)