Why become a member? ×

What's the sound of a Musicman?

4 Strings

Big Stingray fan here, have two,
No1, a pre-EB, rarely used as I'm scared of dings etc and
No2, a superb, bog standard 3eq from 2001 which is used all the time and not sacred so not so scared of dings etc.

I have recently struggled through two Jazzes. Both instruments have been fine, but just haven't got on with them. Seemed like I had to fiddle and tweak all the time to get a sound with definition that would cut through the mix (very noisy keyboard player), sound like a Jazz and be satisfying. Never really made it. Could get the Jaco sort of sound, ie back playing on and through the back pup but this never seemed to be strong enough in a normal band setting where some low end is required to complete the sound.

Going back to the Ray No1 was sublime, the sound was straight away there, lots of comments from others and it made me decide to trade in the Jazz for a Ray I could use everyday. Long story, but this is what happened, enter Ray No2. Straight away, great sound, just plug and play. Very powerful, definition all there, whack up the treble is needed, whack it back when not.

Whereas a Jazz can sound like a Jazz, unmistakable in the right hands, we can all give examples of Precisions (whether low thump from Dunn and Jamerson or clank from Entwhistle and Burnell) and we can recognise a Rick. Can anyone recognise a MM? No question they sound great, for me its been the major attraction. But while I can think of examples of superb sound from a MM ('Nard Edwards, Tony Levin etc) I can't say I'd recognise a 'classic Stingray sound', I just happen to know a Stingray was being used.

Anyone?

Maybe that`s one of the reasons they are so good? That they fit perfectly within a band, without a specific identity of their own. I`ve just acquired a couple of `rays, and used one on Thur for the first time. I was very happy indeed. Admittedly I dropped the mids, and always have a scoop on the amp, but it just seemed to support the music really well, giving great holding low end, but also allowing the guitars a lot more room than my Precisions usually do. Certainly, for my punk band, the MMs are here to stay.

I hear 'rays all the time (a bit like "I see dead people" perhaps :D)
I find their tone pretty unique. Phat with that separate marblesy mid "oh" vowel overtone for extra projection and sometimes, depending on the mix you "hear" the frets too.
I love the sound of mine... it's a shame I don't gig it really.

edit : oh predictive text, one of these days *shakes fist*

Edited by Ou7shined

John Deacon would be a good example too. You can really tell when he used a 'Ray on stuff like 'Another one bites the dust'.

For me, the Stingray sound is like a Jazz bridge pup sound with guts. Almost like the solution to wanting a Jaco sound that will sit well in a band mix.

Agree with most of this, I want examples.

Here's the You tube type thing which shows the differences:
http://youtu.be/IsV2KWwtO50

http://youtu.be/yG-xma83D9k

How about actual tracks?

I suppose my thought is that, with so many boutique and other basses using MM and other pups the sound of a MM is like so many modern basses but not unique. I'd like to have thought it was.

I was playing a jazz for a long time in my band, then turned up at a rehearsal one day with a sterling I had picked up and it worked so much better, the sound was a lot more punchy and aggressive compared to the jazz and it really suited our sound! Lots of positive comments from the other guys in the band
I ended up buying my old 2005 buttercream ray back and that's what I play now, the sounds is further enhanced by me using a nice big, loud, Matamp rig!
I have a second 'ray that's been stripped and sprayed, pics to follow!

Tony

I will be recording with my MM sterling soon and can't wait to compare it to previous P bass recordings. I can't fault my sterling's sound,so versatile,the slap sound with the 3 way pick selector in he middle is probably the best iv ever heard (although my playing certainly isn't!) I really don't know why the Sterling is so uncommon compared to the ray, I can't see how the ray could be better but guess its horses for corses and all that

No dispespect the the OP but the question sounds like one of those GSCE English questions!! And the flippant answer is - you'll never know until you try - a bit bit like sex I suppose - no matter how much you talk about it you won't know till you've tried!

As for a classic sound, go no further than the first RATM album - Bullet in the Head is a good example - classic tracks and one of several classic Stingray sounds (with those shimering highs and a bit a fret noise). Another one s Nathan Watts on some of the Stevie Wonder stuff from the late 70s onwards - he really plays the bass hard!

I was interested to see Jaco mentioned - the Stingray for me can produce that sound live - indeed it can produce the 'pumped up Fender sound' of the mid to late 70s, where people were routing through a pre-amp such as an Alembic (eg a Jazz plus this on I Wish) - that was one of the factors that drew me to buy a Musicman back in 1980 - I could get a sound like my favourite bass players. I couldn't get that with a passive Fender.

Edited by drTStingray

Thanks all, keep it coming, the RATM is helpful, shows the power of the sound but with that sweetness at the top which I'm beginning to think is the defining element.

Here's 'Nard at work, as an example;

http://youtu.be/2KiJYgU5uVY

(Makes it look so easy doesn't he?)

Not sure the Nate Watts sound is the one, however much I love his playing. As you say, bit fretty, dirty, not, to me, the typical Stingray sound

More examples, please. Listening to Enter Shikari at the mo. I want to recognise a Stingray after all this!

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1342864501' post='1741946']
John Deacon would be a good example too. You can really tell when he used a 'Ray on stuff like 'Another one bites the dust'.

For me, the Stingray sound is like a Jazz bridge pup sound with guts. Almost like the solution to wanting a Jaco sound that will sit well in a band mix.
[/quote]

+1 to that.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1342876489' post='1742224']

More examples, please. Listening to Enter Shikari at the mo. I want to recognise a Stingray after all this!
[/quote]

I never really got the Stingray sound from ES. Plus Chris used to play Warwicks on the older albums, so really depends which album you're listening to.

Listen to some Reel Big Fish when Matt Wong was still playing for them. Can hear the ray coming through on tracks like "Ban The Tube Top" plus there's some nice playing to boot

Some more examples:-

Karma Chamelion - Boy George
Paul Young on Live Aid - Pinolladino
Bernard Edwards on We Are Family and Good Times (Live at the Budokan concert - You Tube)
Brothers Johnson - Light Up the Night Album (eg Stomp)
Sade - Smooth Operator