Why become a member? ×

Nash Basses

paulmcnamara

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1342737057' post='1740388']
The best ways to test bolt on basses is to hit the strings and feel the bottom of the guitar for resonance and also, to try pull offs on the higher frets acoustically and then check for sustain.
[/quote]

Hi - could you tell me more about how this works?

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1342737057' post='1740388']
You want to look at Bravewood Guitars, the chap makes vintage fender relic'd instruments same as Nash except the necks are handmade to fit the body. If your paying up to £2k on a bolt on always make sure both parts are specifically made for eachother, otherwise you may as well keep trying out MIM Fenders until you get lucky!! Bravewood's sound great but the relic'ing looks very artificial, rub your arm on the nitro until it looks genuine otherwise it just appears speckly and crackled. The best ways to test bolt on basses is to hit the strings and feel the bottom of the guitar for resonance and also, to try pull offs on the higher frets acoustically and then check for sustain.
[/quote]

+1.

I have the first "Jaco" fretless that John ever made, I had him make it since the Fender model was crazy money for what looks like, quite frankly stencilled relic work. I'd have to disagree about the quality of John's work though, the relic job on mine looks incredible and very realistic. Also, John makes the bodies and necks himself (or did when I ordered mine, that may have changed) to make sure that they are period correct. I've never played a Nash, only seen pictures but I'd put his stuff up against Nash any day of the week.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1356176668' post='1907628']
So I was in london yesterday and saw some nashes in the flesh - the finishing was awful - I could do a more authentic looking relic finish with £12 of spray cans- and it wouldn't be so matt finish.
anyway rant over. each to their own
[/quote]
Coincidentally I was in the West End yesterday and had a look at the Nash basses on display. I agree on the finishes - very rudimentary and not in the least convincing, although I didn't try one. Like EddieG I have a Bravewood (Strat)- the ageing is streets ahead of Nash and it is the absolute nuts to play, so much so that I have ordered a Jazz.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1356176668' post='1907628']
So I was in london yesterday and saw some nashes in the flesh - the finishing was awful - I could do a more authentic looking relic finish with £12 of spray cans- and it wouldn't be so matt finish.
anyway rant over. each to their own
[/quote]

I agree I'm afraid. I thought they looked terrible (close up anyway)
I've now got my bravewood (Sting style '57 P bass) and it looks and feels incredible