Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Streamliner 900.. Any good?

GetYourFunkOut93

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1342911500' post='1742771']
My 600 & Super12T is a great combination. I decided the 900 would be complete & utter overkill for 90% of my gigs, particularly with the BF S12T efficiency. C[b]an't keep the damn thing quiet enough for my lot most of the time :blush:[/b]
[/quote]

This is why I bought a shuttle 3.0 to go with my 6.0, sometimes the 6.0 (same power amp as the streamliner 600) just cant get to a low enough volume especially with my 2x12 cab, I have concidered a 9.0 or a streamliner 900 but Im worried it might be too much in the same way?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I very recently bought a Streamliner 600 on here and gigged with it last night for the first time. Stack was a BF Compact + Midget (so full 4 ohms) + isolation mat on a raised wooden stage (Essex Arms in Brentwood if anyone knows it). Smallish venue, will take 100 at a squeeze but sadly not many folks there last night (shame as we played quite well!). Band plays lightweight party pop rock - standard pub fare - with a loud drummer. Active bass - Fender Precision Lyte with J. East pre-amp - this has a resonably low output compared to some of my basses, it has to be said.

Anyway, back to the amp - I hadn't had much time to investigate what the possibilities are so I kept it simple - I had the gain engaged, most of the controls at 12 o'clock except I favour a mid scoop. By the time we'd finished sound checking the master volume was barely off the starting point - maybe 9 o'clock. *Huge* amount to spare, can't see ever needing 900W.

Have to say I absolutely loved the tone. Compared to my TC Electronic Classic 450, which I do like, it has more definition and more natural warmth from that tube preamp. Looking forward to giving it some welly with my heavy rock band - I'll try upping the gain and the mids a bit more. But I think the Classic 450 is going to be relegated to 'back up' now!

Next time you're in the Essex Arms (know it well) see how you get on with just the Midget, I think you'll be surprised. Having an almost identical set up (mines a 900) I now regard a Compact AND Midget to be overkill for anything less than Glastonbury.

Open air gig today (Olympic Torch celebration) with vocal pa, Compact set to work, didn't even get to a jog. I have to say the Streamliner master vol was at 12, as was all the other controls. Only had the vol on the bass full up right at the end.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1342982550' post='1743439']
Next time you're in the Essex Arms (know it well) see how you get on with just the Midget, I think you'll be surprised. Having an almost identical set up (mines a 900) I now regard a Compact AND Midget to be overkill for anything less than Glastonbury.
[/quote]

I will most certainly do that. We are there fairly regularly so I will get a chance to use the Midget then the Compact - as you say, seems silly to take both. Generally, as a stand alone I prefer the Compact but when I tried the Streamliner at home to find some settings I used just the Midget (Mrs S was out, neighbours on holiday!) and it sounded great. Rehearsing with the heavy rock band tomorrow night so will get to try it out with the Midget there, too.

• 7 months later...

I bought a Streamliner 900 and a Bergantino HD112 about 3 weeks ago.

I bought it as I needed a small but powerful rig to play with an acousti-punk band I am part of.

I tried it into a pair of Berg 1x12's, and compared it against the GB Shuttle and the Orange Terror.

Now I can't use all the technical terms, I just know what I like the sound of - but to me the Shuttle did only clean, the OTB was just dirty but the STM could do it all, from really clean to full-on Lemmy.

I have played it into my Berg 1x12 (8 ohm), my pair of Trace Elliot 2000 era 4x10s (8 ohm each, normally paired with my VBA400) and a sh*tty Laney 2x10 (8ohm).

The quality of the cab is vital. The peak light was flashing on when used with the Laney and I could barely hear it. With the TE cabs, it sounded great but since we play stupidly loud it was on the edge. A pair of more modern, higher sensitivity 4x10's and I suspect it would be immense.

I also use the GB/Berg rig as my home practice rig, because it can be run really quiet aswell.

The key for me with these modern Class D heads is that you can't pair them with older cabs and get the best out of them.

I'm going to get one I think.

I'm rebuilding the Rig of Doom. 2 big amps, 2 cabs. Dual output bass, entirely separate signal paths for FX.

I have a shuttle 9.2 for the clean / high / FX, and it seems like a Streamliner will be perfect for the low end thick warmth.

A berg cab per amp. Sweet!!

[quote name='hen barn' timestamp='1363418185' post='2012430']
I have gb streamliner and I'm trying to get best sound? I play status basses and I never know where to set the gain and the volume knob? And the the master? I find I seem to get the peak light on at quite low volumes? Any one help? How do you set yours??
[/quote]

I'm not sure I use mine properly, I have all the knobs pointing straight up, because they look nice!

I set the gain so that I'm clear of any overdrive (should I want any I dial in how much I need - usually none), straight up works; the second volume is a little redundant to my mind and I just keep it half way, straight up. The last one I use to control how loud I need to be, normally around straight up is about right!

I have also changed the V1 valve for one with less gain as, like you, I found overdrive coming in too early to be useful. I now have loads more volume before it starts to overdrive, although slightly less in overall output but much more useful. It also means I can use the 'Gain' button without loads of distortion, without any in fact until gone 12 O'Clock. It seems to make the amp outrageously loud! I use it as a sort of 'Hi/Lo' power button. Always on Lo.

Tone controls are always 'flat', ie straight up, although I have added a little 200Hz mid for Motown (P with flats).

I use a Streamliner 600 into either a TechSoundsystems 2x12 or a Barefaced Compact. I can't imagine why you would EVER need 900 watts. It's almost impossible to get a bad sound out of it and the EQ is simple to use. Because it sounds pretty good however you set it up it comes into its own when you play venues with dodgy accoustics. You can tailor in what you need without killing the tone.

I'm definitly in a minority, thought the 900 was horrible, not one useable sound with a P or J through a Compact.
Not a patch on my LMII or even the Tiny Terror at the time. Played with all sorts of Vol/Gain/Master combo's, EQ etc. Nothing. :P

But yes, I'm the 1% here ;)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1363944930' post='2019800']
I'm definitly in a minority, thought the 900 was horrible, not one useable sound with a P or J through a Compact.
Not a patch on my LMII or even the Tiny Terror at the time. Played with all sorts of Vol/Gain/Master combo's, EQ etc. Nothing. :P

But yes, I'm the 1% here ;)

Si
[/quote]

2%.Mind you, it was better than the RH450 which, had I been able to afford to do so, I would have happily smashed to pieces with a hammer and then repeatedly driven my car over.

I guess we're just not for these times, Si... :)

Since I've had mine, several amps have come and gone, but for me not bettered the Streamliner. Two Mesas (an M-Pulse and WoT's Walkabout), an Ampeg SVT 7 Pro, an Ashdown Spyder and a Markbass LMIII. I've tried Shuttles and MB Tubes, and I had a RH450 for a while.

The Streamliner's got an odd tone stack, which needs to be learnt, as it isn't as intuitive as a 'normal' EQ, but for me it's the best out there. I can see it wouldn't suit some cabs, but it's great with my Schroeder 1515L and Super 12T. Very warm and valvey, but with a ton of oomph. I mostly use my Dingwall with a P-Tone pickup, Ps and my Fenderbird with Dingwall pickups. Nickel rounds and 80% pick.

Oh, and it lights up a very pretty blue... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just picked up a second-hand Streamliner 900. Although I'm very happy with the sound of my existing rig (100w valve amp and Barefaced '69er), I'm aware of the volume limitations. I often run it full tilt, and sometimes it has just about been loud enough. I thought a small but very loud amp would be good to have for those larger venue/no-bass-through-the-PA type gigs.

I've just had an initial tinker, and things are exactly as I had expected:
- It's LOUD
- It sounds really nice, with big lows, and a good deal of clarity
- There's no substitute for the tone you get from a valve power section
- Whoever said that it has a ridiculous, unusable scoop either had a broken mid eq, or does not know how to use tone controls

So, I'll rehearse with it this week and probably gig with it this weekend, just for fun. If it sounds great in the band mix, I may gig with it more regularly for the convenience and headroom. Recording and small gigs will definitely still use the valve head.

edit - if anyone's interested, it sits perfectly on top, and the handle doesn't get in the way as it's situated towards the back of the cab.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1366025094' post='2047344']- Whoever said that it has a ridiculous, unusable scoop either had a broken mid eq, or does not know how to use tone controls[/quote]

Curious to know which of those two relates to me. :rolleyes:

I have to admit that I tried a Streamliner but couldn't get on with it at all. Sounded boomy and mushy to me and not at all like a classic vintage tube head (which was vaguely what I was expecting).

I'd certainly give one another go with a different cab set up though to see if it was an issue with the Genz cabs.

However, I'm not sure i could ever trust a GK head as a regular gigging tool. Just too many stories of their heads having quality control issues. I have a feeling it's the Shuttles rather than the Streamliners but it's certainly enough to put me off owning one :(

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1366033645' post='2047477']

Curious to know which of those two relates to me. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Ah, so that was you :-D
I'm genuinely puzzled by it. I can't stand a scooped tone, and found the OTB way too scooped for my tastes. This, however, I'd describe as mildly scooped, nothing that can't be fixed with some minor twiddling.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1366034264' post='2047487']
I have to admit that I tried a Streamliner but couldn't get on with it at all. Sounded boomy and mushy to me and not at all like a classic vintage tube head (which was vaguely what I was expecting).

I'd certainly give one another go with a different cab set up though to see if it was an issue with the Genz cabs.

However, I'm not sure i could ever trust a GK head as a regular gigging tool. Just too many stories of their heads having quality control issues. I have a feeling it's the Shuttles rather than the Streamliners but it's certainly enough to put me off owning one :(
[/quote]

I agree, doesn't sound like a vintage valve head.
No boominess or mushiness here, so I suspect that the cab match is important. Maybe my sealed cab design is a particularly good match.

Re. Reliability, (I assume you mean GB) it's still under warranty, but fingers crossed nothing goes wrong!

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1366036233' post='2047523']
Boomy and mushy here, with Berg 210s. Not your average boomy / mushy cabs.

Still, one man's boomy and mushy is another man's not boomy and mushy.
[/quote]

Was it boomier and mushier than spreading mushy peas onto a yacht's boom?

Edited by Roland Rock