Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Streamliner 900.. Any good?

GetYourFunkOut93

I was certainly one of them yes RR, I suppose we all hear things differently and we all play in different situations but I really struggled to be heard in a band. Plenty of volume, but it was all an indistinct mush. Obviously, many many people love the Streamliners, but there are just as many of us who run and cry. Really a polarising head.

I've had mine for a few months and Love it so far. I've had a few amps including the Shuttle 9.0, and the Markbass littlemark 3 - and the Streamliner is my personal fav. It will also depend on which cab you are using - I currently have a genz benz Focus lt 115 and it sounds great although I'm looking to replace that with a 212 (Either the neox 212t nx2 or possibly one of the new Berg CN212). I see lots of reviews with people saying how 'Bassy' this thing sounds flat - just turn the Bass eq down!

[i]I have a Streamliner 900 that sounds great with a BF Midget t, but recently added a Bib Baby t. The Streamliner is just a bit too heavy on the bottom end for the Big Baby t, it also shows up a slight mid "hole" (harmonics don't sing) that isn't obviouse with the Midget. Back to using my Shuttle 9 with the Big Baby t....eq flat most of the time...first time ever for me on a bass amp.[/i]
[i]But the Streamliner is prefect with the Midget t[/i]

Edited by MOSCOWBASS

I'm finding something similar with my Streamliner / BF Compact combination, it does seem a bit too bottom heavy, even with the bass rolled off and midst boosted at 3k, I suspect the answer is to add a Midget T, but can't afford one right now.

I owned a GB streamliner 600 for a while, I didn't get on with it either.
To me it sounded too wooly with no definition, no matter what i did with the EQ
I got totally lost in the band mix with 2 valve amp guitars and drums.
Ended up with a GB shuttlemax 9.2 and love it, especially the FET channel. It sounds clear and defined, sits great in the mix without having to deafen everyone.

Cheers

Thebassman

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1366214369' post='2049724']
I'm finding something similar with my Streamliner / BF Compact combination, it does seem a bit too bottom heavy, even with the bass rolled off and midst boosted at 3k, I suspect the answer is to add a Midget T, but can't afford one right now.
[/quote]

If you're using an active guitar would it be worth experimenting by sending a lighter tone to the amp?

Do you use flats?

Anyone who is using flats, a cab without a horn, or the horn off, or a cab with a hole in the mids, or those who roll off treble on their bass, will clearly notice the high level of bass on this amp, with the bass control at 12. Without a doubt.

When I compare it to my Shuttlemax 9.2, there is clearly a huge difference, and the Max is more 'defined' and modern, with less warmth.

But, and this is the big but for me, the whole idea of the Streamliner is to get close to the older vintage tones, where the tubes provided warmth and tube 'sag' so to speak. Many of the Fender/GK amps have exactly the same type of tone, (eg, with a dip in the mids). Recent reviews of the latest GK amps show a pretty huge mid scoop, which like the Streamliner, is easily rectified by moving the EQ a little. Then, there is still room to play.

Maybe its because I tend to use Musicman basses, and they just respond well to the ying/yang of Streamliner's tone, and the fact I use faily mid forward cabs. For me, it sounds fabulous.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1366268941' post='2050227']
If you're using an active guitar would it be worth experimenting by sending a lighter tone to the amp?

Do you use flats?
[/quote]
Passive P/J Lakland with roundwound DR nickel plated Lo-Riders - though I normally have the J pickup turned off / down.

Part of the problem is I'm not giggin a lot at the moment and can't use it at home as it disturbs the children so I'm not getting as much experience with the EQ in a band mix as I'd like, It'll come I'm sure.

Also, my previous amp was a EBS Fafner / Proline 4x10 so I'm used to having a more full-range sound

I had a band rehearsal last night with STM 900. The settings I ended up with were bass@12, mid@2 and set at 600, treble@11
Also, a slight bass boost and treble cut on the bass.

What this got was a deep but clear tone. It sounded a bit muddy with the mid set on 220, which is the setting I assumed I would definitely use. The 600 setting cleaned things up a fair bit, but remained deep and punchy rather than honky. I must say though the mids lacked a bit of richness compared to the valve jobby, but I suppose this is the compromise of a tiny light amp. As I play reggae, I don't have much competition for my frequencies (one clean guitar, no keys) so no issues with sitting in the mix. Not sure when I'll get the chance, but I'd like to try it out in a rockier setting sometime to see how it fares.

Overall, I'm really happy, and can see myself gigging with it a fair bit.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1366367694' post='2051500']
I've found boosting the Gain gives a deeper sound.

I'm not interested in distortion so I'm short of that (and have an old ECC81 in V1 to calm things down a bit) but giving the Gain control a bit of wallop does seem to give a deeper sound.
[/quote]

I've not played around with the gain much (kept getting told to STFU at the rehearsal) but will give that a try. Love a bit of valve swapping too. Cheers.