Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Streamliner 900.. Any good?

GetYourFunkOut93

Yep, I've had mine for nearly a year now. Just got back from a rehearsal with it in fact. Hardly got a bad word (or indeed heard) a bad word about them. They have quite a coloured sound and are certainly not hi-fi. Unlike Markbass you can really hear the 3 pre-amp valves driving the mids, and that's where it excels. I would have preferred a sweepable mid rather than the 3 presets on offer, but it does make dialling in sounds dead easy. The treble is very clever; cut and boost work differently. The best way I can describe it is it cuts like a fender and boosts like Musicman!

Niggles? Well, some of the pots were a bit scratchy initially but now seem fine. The DI out is a bit noisy if selected post eq. And, although not really a bad poin,t it is almost too powerful for a lot of applications. I ran it into a Vanderklay 1x12 tonight with a fairly loud drummer and it was pretty overpowering on '1'! I would love to hear it through an 8x10 as I bet it would give an Ampeg SVT a good run for it's money (which is twice as expensive!)

In summary: love it!

I'm very happy with mine. It's not neutral but warm and full sounding. My D I is quiet & so are my pots. I use it with an old Mark Bass 3x10 cab and always have volume to spare.

[quote name='GetYourFunkOut93' timestamp='1342736400' post='1740373']
Thanks mate :) What cabs are you running It through?
[/quote]

Two Vanderkley 1x12 EXTs. It's an exceptionally light and powerful rig, but I'd go for one of the larger Vanderkley cabs if I was going to change.

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1342736192' post='1740368']
Yep, I've had mine for nearly a year now. Just got back from a rehearsal with it in fact. Hardly got a bad word (or indeed heard) a bad word about them. They have quite a coloured sound and are certainly not hi-fi. Unlike Markbass you can really hear the 3 pre-amp valves driving the mids, and that's where it excels. I would have preferred a sweepable mid rather than the 3 presets on offer, but it does make dialling in sounds dead easy. The treble is very clever; cut and boost work differently. The best way I can describe it is it cuts like a fender and boosts like Musicman!

Niggles? Well, some of the pots were a bit scratchy initially but now seem fine. The DI out is a bit noisy if selected post eq. And, although not really a bad poin,t it is almost too powerful for a lot of applications. I ran it into a Vanderklay 1x12 tonight with a fairly loud drummer and it was pretty overpowering on '1'! I would love to hear it through an 8x10 as I bet it would give an Ampeg SVT a good run for it's money (which is twice as expensive!)

In summary: love it!
[/quote]

+1 from me

I also love mine, play though a Barefaced Super 12

I read into it alot before buyng from BassDirect and personally agree with alot of TB reviews about the EQ, seemed strange to me to be cutting the bass and boosting the mids as much as now do, but it works for me - I don't care what the knobs end up looking like, it sounds great to me. I prefer the lack of a more sophisticated EQ, simple is good for me. As The Bass Whisperer says in one of his YouTube reviews, it's very hard to get a bad tone out of the amp

My DI is quiet but agree that a couple of the pots are a little scratchy, any ideas how I cure this?!

It's extremely loud, definitely get some decent ear plugs if you haven't already - I would agree with moonbass too about the amount of power the amp has on tap, I think that the difference in cost makes the 900 worth the extra £££ over the 600, but maybe go for the 600 if you don't need tonnes of volume.

The 900 works great for me and I'd strongly recommend one! Hope this helps :D

Getting right into the thread behind WOT who's Streamliner I now own. :-)

I love mine. Can't really add much to what everyone else has said. I a/b'd one against the shuttle and decided the Streamliner worked for me more. Much warmer but still very detailed and oodles of power on tap. I love the fact that there's not a lot of controls to tweak to get a good sound straight out the box. It's very responsive so I've sound myself choosing "my tone" and then not needing to mess around too much since as there's a lot more of the bass and fingers involved in the tone shaping. Guess that's how it works for me of course.

The amp can do "warm-fi". I use my head with an EBS ProLine 410 now (I know' I know, not exactly lightweight but man, it sounds the nads) and using such a detailed cab really helps bring out some of the highlights of the tone of the head. Again, works for me.

Indeed, check the Ed Friedland demos out. They're really informative as to what the head will do.

T

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1342742227' post='1740442']
Two Vanderkley 1x12 EXTs. It's an exceptionally light and powerful rig, but I'd go for one of the larger Vanderkley cabs if I was going to change.
[/quote]

Finally someone who runns Vanderkley cabs. :) They were the first cabs I well for on the website (Bit pricey but the demo on youtube :o )... What are they like? Are they worth spending some extra cash on?

I don't use the 900 but do use the 600 into a 4ohm 2x12 and find it's never come up short on the loudness stakes. I also like the simple controls, set and forget.
I have found the DI both pre and post to be very good for any foh or recording. Good enough amp for me.

[quote name='GetYourFunkOut93' timestamp='1342771697' post='1740578']
Finally someone who runns Vanderkley cabs. :) They were the first cabs I well for on the website (Bit pricey but the demo on youtube :o )... What are they like? Are they worth spending some extra cash on?
[/quote]

Well, at the risk of derailing the thread, a bit about my Vanderkleys:
The EXT's are the lower power handling of the 1x12 range (300W 8ohm, as oppose to the 112MNT at 600W). Mark at Bass Direct suggested these as, although nominally under-rated for the power of the Streamliner 900, the chances of needing to run the amp at full tilt are virtually zero! As it is for rehearsal and most gig volumes I get the feeling I'm under-running both the amp and cabs (when I use both the 1x12s). In fact I'm getting much better results using just one 1x12 cab and running it a bit harder; it gives more punch and growl. I'm guessing that with the 600W MNTs this problem would be compounded (never tried them though, so hard to comment).

The sound of the cabs is quite hard to pin down. They are certainly a good stab at full range; I think there is a certain lack of sub bass when standing next to them as might be expected, but actually once you get a few yards away and the waves have had time to propagate they have plenty of bass for medium sized clubs. They are not to my ear as punchy as a 4x10, but then they're not shifting as much air, and the fact that I'm even making that comparison probably shows how much 1x12s have come on in the past few years!

What they definitely are is LIGHT! They are an easy one hand carry, and I can carry two for long distances without problems. I can fit two easily into my Audi A3 boot with room to spare. And you get less damage to your shins and doorways than with a larger cab. They're not cheap, but they are exceptionally well constructed and feel mighty sturdy. I do wish they'd put the red facing on the EXTs as well as the more expensive cabs as they do look a little 'meh', but hey, substance over style every time.

I think given a choice again, I would definitely try one of the bigger Vanderkleys (2x10 or 2x12) but if you want a compact solution to go with a Streamliner 900, you could do a lot, lot worse.
Andy

I have owned the 900 for about 3-4 months, done about 12-14 gigs with it so far.

As a base I love it. Plenty, plenty powerful enough. Nice detail and an enormous, pillowy bottom end (which can be tamed).

As a stand-alone amp with no effects I wouldn't use it because I don't think there is enough control in the mids. If you cut at 220Hz, then there seems a hole in the hi mids (say 1200-2500Hz). Same if you boost at 600Hz. However if you boost at 2500Hz on the mids, then there seems to be a hole at 400-1200Hz. For a mids-lover like myself, this is quite a serious ommision for an amp.
I get over this, personally, by using an EWS BMC (bass mids control) pedal, which is costly but is of very, very high quality and musical and it transforms the amp for me, giving me way, way more mids tweakability.

The amp's OD is OK (IMO) if used very mildly, but is not musical to my ears if used anything more than that. It must be said though that I have never really liked 12AX7-based overdrive. I always have liked OD/distortion from more solid-state origins.

All the pots on the amp are quiet and pleasant to use. The DI is OK and quiet.

A really great amp, but does have it's limitations.

I currently use it through a GK 212 Neo, or a Genz 8x10 XB3. The GK is a slightly better match as it has a bit of a bump in the hi mids, which reduces the hi mid hole if I'm cutting at 220Hz, which is my preference with the amp.

I bought one on ebay and it was for sale on here about a week later. Volume for days, but I just couldn't get on with the ridiculous mid-scoop. Hated it, sold it to a BCer (who I assume is very happy) and I ended up with a GK MB Fusion.

It isn't highly scooped at all, in fact the GK amps have more of a scoop than the Streamliner, it's just in a different place in the mid freq.

The Streamliner can be tamed easily with bass at 11 and mids at 1, which is then almost flat. Not really a big deal to move the knobs ever do slightly...still plenty to play with.

I had the loan of a Streamliner 600 for a while and compared it with my Orange Terror (using a US P bass and Tech Soundsystems 4x12). The Streamliner was pretty nice, and a little more flexible tonally, but lacked the punch of the Terror and was nowhere near as loud. For me and the type of music I was playing at the time (heavy "dark" rock - Paradise Lost, Katatonia type stuff) it wasn't the right match, IMO. I could see it working really well in a less aggressive band though, and would probably be a better match for what I'm doing now (straight ahead pop/rock covers) and, although I'm VERY happy with my current Ashdown LB rig, I'm curious about a Streamliner 900 with a pair of nice 1x12 or 2x10 cabs...

[quote name='GetYourFunkOut93' timestamp='1342782632' post='1740822']
Is this to the Streamliner or the guy who is talking about the Terror?

Because this is my Streamliner tread
[/quote]

Yeah sorry I meant the Streamliner. Horses for courses I guess, but I just felt like I was constantly fighting the amp to get some definition. Obviously I'm in the minority but you asked for opinions and I had an argument with mine, we fell out.

Edit: In my very limited experience I did like the OTB.

Edited by Jack

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1342869081' post='1742061']
Yeah sorry I meant the Streamliner. Horses for courses I guess, but I just felt like I was constantly fighting the amp to get some definition. Obviously I'm in the minority but you asked for opinions and I had an argument with mine, we fell out.

Edit: In my very limited experience I did like the OTB.
[/quote]

It IS very creamy and tubey, I agree. Again, if you don't want a lot of low end, the amp MIGHT not be for you. It kicks like a mule with a P bass or Stingray.

900 here, bought without testing, satisfied, but should be for the price.

It seems to be really well made and has done everything I've needed. Use it with a BF Midget T and/or a Compact.

Loads of Jamerson in it with the compact for my Motown band by boosting the 200Hz a tad. Have to use plenty of volume with the Midget alone, but on the odd occasion I use both cabs it can go beyond silly loud.

Usually end up with all controls at 12 O' Clock. The two pre 'volumes' seem ok here, go much further with Vol 1 and overdrive starts, go beyond 3 O'Clock with Vol 2 and a sort of strange, clicky clipping occurs.

Yes, just being able to cut/boost one mid range band is a shortcoming, but that's the compromise for few knobs. The bands are well selected, 200Hz my fave.

I would describe the sound as 'warmish', not bloated in any way, and can be as defined as you like, which is what I need.

Not been brave enough to use the overdriven aspects (apart from a little play when I first had it, it goes nuts!).

Recommended.

I Bought My GBSTM900 back in Dec 2011, paired with a Berg NV610.......... What can I say....... since buying this rig, I have played 30 odd gigs with the band and recorded it on numerous occassions....
It's a monster rig, I would consider the Bergantino cabs with it, for the extra clarity bottom and punch! Will this kill off the SVT.... In my opinion no, because there are plenty of mules out there who will by Ampeg, cause it's an Ampeg!
However compare the SVT810 to the Berg NV610.... The SVT is and was the XR3i of it's day..... However when it's against the F1 MacLaren in the Berg it dies...... So to bring the hed back into it, that the nitro needed to make this a possible classic Rig combination...
P.S also consider the NV412....

[quote name='Mace' timestamp='1342743424' post='1740451']
+1 from me

I also love mine, play though a Barefaced Super 12

I read into it alot before buyng from BassDirect and personally agree with alot of TB reviews about the EQ, seemed strange to me to be cutting the bass and boosting the mids as much as now do, but it works for me - I don't care what the knobs end up looking like, it sounds great to me. I prefer the lack of a more sophisticated EQ, simple is good for me. As The Bass Whisperer says in one of his YouTube reviews, it's very hard to get a bad tone out of the amp

My DI is quiet but agree that a couple of the pots are a little scratchy, any ideas how I cure this?!

It's extremely loud, definitely get some decent ear plugs if you haven't already - I would agree with moonbass too about the amount of power the amp has on tap, I think that the difference in cost makes the 900 worth the extra £££ over the 600, but maybe go for the 600 if you don't need tonnes of volume.

The 900 works great for me and I'd strongly recommend one! Hope this helps :D
[/quote]My 600 & Super12T is a great combination. I decided the 900 would be complete & utter overkill for 90% of my gigs, particularly with the BF S12T efficiency. Can't keep the damn thing quiet enough for my lot most of the time :blush: