Why become a member? ×

Effects loop & headphone amps

Having just brought bobmartins EDEN D112XLT i am thinking of moving on my iAmp 350 combo as although it's perfect it's a bit heavy with my dodgy back.
One feature i will miss at home is the aux input, it's useful for headphone practice i put my laptop through it using audacity and a metronome etc. My eyes are on markbass stuff particularly the f1 which of course has no aux input, can i plug external sources into the effects return? obviously i will have no level control but it will do the job.

Alternatively i could buy a dedicated headphone amp with an aux in, can anyone recommend something decent, one of my biggest complaints with headphone solutions is they don't seem to convey dynamics particularly dead notes. I know the line 6 stuff is very good through headphones but a little expensive for what i want, whats the new bass trainer like? the old one was not particularly great sounding, any other ideas?

I don't know how different the F1 is (I think it has just 1 input), but I have the CMD 102P combo which is basically an LMII head.
I think plugging into the fx return breaks the signal path, but I don't know if you can change jumper settings for this.

If you can get a mixer (small mic mixer might do here) with an XLR out, then you can plug it into the balanced input socket on the front.
I have heard of a few bassists plugging a mic straight into this & putting their bass through it at the same time.

The LMK has two input channels, but not sure if they can be used separately. Worth an investigation maybe.

As xgsjx said, I'd look into one of the really small "notebook" type mixers. Behringer, soundcraft and others all do models for under a ton, and I seem to remember somone on here pointing out a shop doing one type for about £20 as a special offer! I can't remember what it was though, sorry.

The notebooks are usually 4 mono channel plus a couple of stereo phono ins, so can end up being useful for several things, such as small gigs, not just your home practice.

Small Mono mixer : -

FX send into Channel 1

Laptop into Channel 2

Mixer Out into FX Return

OR

FX Send into laptop Line In

Laptop Line Out into FX Return

Use software mixer in Laptop.

OR

Make a Y-cord with resistive mix in jack plug

One leg of Y from FX Send to FX return
Second leg of Y from PC line-out to FX Return ( need to resistive mix L&R ont he PC output)

FX Return Jack contains Resistive Mixer.
Set PC output level for required balance of Bass/PC.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='185805' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:37 AM']Small Mono mixer : -

FX send into Channel 1

Laptop into Channel 2

Mixer Out into FX Return

OR

FX Send into laptop Line In

Laptop Line Out into FX Return

Use software mixer in Laptop.

OR

Make a Y-cord with resistive mix in jack plug

One leg of Y from FX Send to FX return
Second leg of Y from PC line-out to FX Return ( need to resistive mix L&R ont he PC output)

FX Return Jack contains Resistive Mixer.
Set PC output level for required balance of Bass/PC.[/quote]

Cheers, would it be possible to make me a cable with a 1/8" jack to do the job? I do have a little mixer but just want something simple for practice, my iAmp makes it very easy as it has a 1/8" input with level control.

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='steve-norris' post='185954' date='Apr 26 2008, 03:26 PM']Cheers, would it be possible to make me a cable with a 1/8" jack to do the job? I do have a little mixer but just want something simple for practice, my iAmp makes it very easy as it has a 1/8" input with level control.[/quote]

I'll pm you this evening.