Why become a member? ×

Guilty Pleasures

darkandrew

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1342688486' post='1739179']
One I admit to no-one (except to the whole world on here) is 'The Organ Entertains' on radio 2.

Listen on i-player most weeks. Absolutely no idea why, the music is often dreadful, I think its part fascination with these electro-mechanical organs - about which I know very little.
[/quote]

I've been known to sit in the balcony of the Blackpool Tower Ballroom watching the Wurlitzter player doing his stuff. Damn, I'll have to go in disguise next time.

I love the sound of Wurlitzers and Comptons and the idea of what they are.

Look at this, from the State cinema in Grays, Essex;

[attachment=113533:state-cinema-organ1.jpg]

No doubting the talent, looks etc of Taylor Swift. Not my pleasure but I can see why she's definitely one for this thread.

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1342685234' post='1739103']

Deb the darkness are playing as I type this , love it ;)
[/quote]

Fantastic. Who couldn't love "Friday Night"? Guaranteed to make you laugh. I saw The Darkness in Cardiff and they were brilliant. I'd driven into the the back of someone whose brake lights weren't working earlier that day and an evening with the brothers Hawkins was just what the doctor ordered. Love 'em.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342649819' post='1738890']
Had a singalong to Roger Whitaker's "Durham Town" today - which I also have on CD, (did I say that out loud? :huh: )
Great song, though for a Geordie type bloke his geography's off a bit.
[/quote]

Not actually a Geordie.... which may explain his geographical faux pas!

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1342696629' post='1739408']
Santana and The Doobies, Louis Prima of course but only if the suns shining.

Nothing wrong with that, but in the winter I'm partial to a bit of Mud, Slade, or even Sweet.
[/quote]

Ahhh ... The Doobies. Don't think I'll be thinking about work this pm.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1342696512' post='1739407']
Not actually a Geordie.... which may explain his geographical faux pas!
[/quote]

Yeah, I know, but he says himself on a live CD I have :blush: that he has a great affinity with the area, possibility ancestry. But he has Durham on the Tyne rather than Wear, so that he can rhyme it with "age of nine".

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1342688486' post='1739179']
One I admit to no-one (except to the whole world on here) is 'The Organ Entertains' on radio 2.

Listen on i-player most weeks. Absolutely no idea why, the music is often dreadful, I think its part fascination with these electro-mechanical organs - about which I know very little.
[/quote]

Love it, even if the music isn't that great the huge sound is impressive, you can imagine the steam and gears :-)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342708259' post='1739714']
Yeah, I know, but he says himself on a live CD I have :blush: that he has a great affinity with the area, possibility ancestry. But he has Durham on the Tyne rather than Wear, so that he can rhyme it with "age of nine".
[/quote]

Isn't Durham a city rather than a town?

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1342709568' post='1739751']
Isn't Durham a city rather than a town?
[/quote]

Probably, since it has a Cathedral. Maybe it wasn't when he wrote it, or he couldn't find a rhyme for "city" - apart from the obvious one which would have had it banned by the BBC.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1342710688' post='1739780']
but then I still watch Charlton Heston movies.

:blush:
[/quote]

Favourite Charlton Heston quote; when Parkinson interviewed him he asked "Do you think God gets annoyed that most people think he looks like you?"

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1342683772' post='1739080']
Go do it now, guaranteed to make you smile! I'm not long home from a 10hr nightshift and should be sleeping but instead I'm now listening to Wham songs on YouTube!! :D
[/quote]

I had a meeting today, 1hr drive there, 1hr drive back.

Listened to Wham :D

First time I have listened to Wham since I've been a bassist..... OMG awesome basslines!!

You have made my day by coaxing me today x