Why become a member? ×

Maple or Rosewood?

The_D

Hi guys, the neck on my sage green jazz is goosed. Truss rod adjustment nut is rounded. Happened before I got it but I could always tweak the action if I was careful. It has finally had it though and I really need to adjust it so a new neck it is.

I found some necks on Ebay for around £60 - £80 which seem reasonable as I cant justify spending more on a neck than I got the bass for. Anyone used a CH guitar neck?

All i am asking for is some opinions on what fret board I will get.

I always fancied a maple neck but not sure it will suit the green colour of the body. What do you guys think?? Rosewood or Maple?

Well I couldn't get my head round the maple just not fitting with the green so opted for the Rosewood.

I searched for CH guitar necks on here and they def seem worth a punt. Any tips for rounding off the frets if needed? Also would I be out of order if I bought a fender decal for it?

You need one of each.
Decals: If you never intend to pass it off as a Fender you can do whatever you like with it, it's your instrument!
However, general basschat etiquette would pourscorn on the decal issue, personally I like the faux-fender thing so the font looks similar but it says something different.

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1342551126' post='1737016']
If it's a choice between the two Rosewood.

Personally I'd be investigating some more interesting alternatives like ebanol or aluminium.
[/quote]

Or Wenge, Ebony, Pau Ferro, etc. etc.
I don't know many Luthiers who can knock up fretboards in our favourite non-wood medium...
And surely Aluminum [sic] would simply [i]die[/i] against nickel or steel roundwounds, frets notwithstanding.

There was someone on eBay selling ex-Vaccaro ebanol fingerboard blanks a couple of years back.

I have an Andreas Black Shark guitar with a brushed aluminium fingerboard. No significant wear even after 10 years of use.

And no wear at all on my Born To Rock Bass that dates from the late 90s.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1342628567' post='1738256']
Is it a Fender Jazz? I've got a sage green Fender Jazz. If it is you can justify the Fender decal being on there, I don't know why you would put one on if it's not. That said, I've always loved the look of blank headstocks.
[/quote]

It is a fender. Suppose I could see what its like blank though.

Also guys I'm trying to do this on the cheap so exotic woods were out from the start!

[quote name='The_D' timestamp='1342639199' post='1738553']

It is a fender. Suppose I could see what its like blank though.

Also guys I'm trying to do this on the cheap so exotic woods were out from the start!
[/quote]

I think we may have the same bass ;) Made in Mexico, mid-noughties? I go through stages of liking and then hating the colour, I've seen sage green Strats and Teles with maple necks but I don't think maple would look right on the Jazz. Mine's one of the most comfortable basses I've ever played, I really should get some pickups in it.

Like I said before, if it's a Fender then putting a decal on the headstock is fine in my opinion, but it's your choice. I just don't understand the point of putting them on bitsas or other brands.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1342711541' post='1739801']
I think we may have the same bass ;) Made in Mexico, mid-noughties? I go through stages of liking and then hating the colour....
[/quote]

I had to strip one for a customer once. That sh*t is about 2.5mm thick :D... I find wee bits of sage around the workshop all the time.

Although no one agrees with me, I'm sticking to my guns - maple board and a mint plate. :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342712977' post='1739851']
I had to strip one for a customer once. That sh*t is about 2.5mm thick :D... I find wee bits of sage around the workshop all the time.

Although no one agrees with me, I'm sticking to my guns - maple board and a mint plate. :D
[/quote]

Would look the buisness!

I'm with ya man!

I couldn't get the nut off so tried to buy the neck from CH guitars.

The money never came out my account after trying to use some daft PayPal passport thing but failing miserably. So I decided to have a rummage through the tool shop at work and found a tapered Allen wrench that loosened it braw!

Gonna wait another week to see if they take the money but hopefully not now and I'll just get a new truss rod nut.

New nut on the truss rod would seem an awful lot cheaper. Should be able to get the old one off somehow or other, after all it doesn't matter if you damage it.

When you say 'nut' its actually an allen head nut isn't it? Take the strings off, pull the neck back gently to take the load off the nut, and try again. You could try glueing (araldite) an allen key into the nut just to try and get it out.

Apologies if this is teaching grandmother etc.