Why become a member? ×

Look! Have you ever seen one??

Eljay

[i]I really cant be bothered to argue with you about this. Oli gave a legitimate opinion based on the description given. You asked for opinions and he gave it. No reason to go ultra defensive and ask him to take it elsewhere, where you yourself invited opinions in the first place.[/i]

Ho-kay then don't :lol:
Yes; he gave HIS opinion, then I OPINED on that opinion. So we're tied! :lol:

[i]Also Jerome Preston is the bass player for Maceo Parker. Surely must know him considering you posted that video? [/i]
Now I remember searching the nest for who played on that track from "Funk Overload" by Maceo, as well as checking out a few things he (Jerome) did, which actually I didn't like as much as that particular track..
But nonetheless-

WHAT does that have to do with Oli taking aim at Jaguar Amps? Do they use the term [size=4][b]BuzzKill [/b][/size]in the UK?

He certainly is entitled to a "evaluation" based on whatever background he might have as an amp builder or whatever.
BUT-
BUT-
[i]just how useful do you think you contribution is going to be to other people? [/i]

[u][b]THIS useful:[/b][/u]

I am the owner/operator of the Jaguar 200 since '09- I've had it on tour with me, played it on stage in New Orleans, Natchez MS, Atlanta, Corpus Christi,
Key West, Orlando, Galveston, Charleston SC,, Phoenix AZ, Tempe AZ, Salt Lake City----

I'm tired thinking about it.

Never re-tubed, not one iota of less than stellar performance, and I actually had a patron in Covington Louisiana with his date- come in to the gig and say "We heard that BASS from outside and needed to check it out!"

Yeh, really, it happened.

I love this amp,, I am no engineer, do not want to be. The components, tube selection, wiring, drivers,[i] Rough Blonde Tolex[/i], rock the house.

That's all I got
AND
That's all I need.

Feel free to offer varying opinions, I shall now adjust my mid-range frequency! :lol:

Edited by Eljay

So you asked for an opinion. And when you got one, you got negi about it, but you don't actually have any actual rebuttal in the face of somewhat 'qualified' opinion, but feel the need to make lengthy posts anyway? What are you trying to achieve?

Anyone puts an amp in front of me, it gets assessed on a wide variety of criteria, I do it most days, its something I enjoy and it contributes to the decisions of many people. This is one such amp, which you yourself presented for judgement. This one has been assessed on the information given by the manufacturer, on their own site. Now what do you have to contribute? What we do round here is put the list of gear we use in our signatures. It saves you shouting about it in every single post, but kind of does the same thing. Just because everyone is apparently entitled to an opinion, doesn't make that opinion useful to anyone else, if you have to say it every time you post, it definitely won't be more useful the second time.

You use a Jaguar amp and cab, well done. Is that what you were after?

[i]You use a Jaguar amp and cab, well done. Is that what you were after? [/i]

Oh yes, that's it~ Actually-
Nope, just wanted to show to the UK something they may not have seen B4.

Look at the bright side:
It gave you an outlet for your pent-up frustrations! :lol: :D :P

You are right; right you are! This amp, this [i]Jaguar 200[/i] is a true piece of...how is it said? sh*te? :lol: All these years have I been deluded into thinking it performed and sounded well, but now that you've proferred your opinion, I know better! :lol:

Here, let me get El-Lay on ya':

DUDE! Chill! (surf's up!)
The amp is aw-sum! Fer shizzle!

[i]I shall shout it in every post![/i] (Not really)

LOL, I'm glad you have your days to "assess" a wide variety of criteria.

I plan on booking a tour or Ireland and England, hopefully in the not-too-distant future. You will then have the opportunity to listen to Dani G.; my Girl and my Vocalist, sing some isley Brothers tunes that are so deep-pocket you'll need hip-boots my friend.
I prolly won't bring the Jag of course, but when you hear her perform "Utterly Beloved" by the Neville Brothers, (from "Valence Street")...

[i] You can assess THAT!!!![/i]

:lol:

G'day, or night, whichever! :angry: :D
My work here in this thread is done!!! B)

Maybe the wording on the website isn't great (the "military grade" and "point to point" bits ), but I don't see anything resembling sub-par wiring in this gut-shot IMO.
[url="http://www.jaguaramplification.com/i_guts.html"]http://www.jaguaramplification.com/i_guts.html[/url]
It may not be built in the Military/Hiwatt style of lead-dress, but the chassis pictured on the website looks well built in a Marshall-esque construction style. If an amp is readily servicable and the layout doesn't cause noise or stability problems, then it is fit for purpose. As a DIYer I have built less tidy looking amps than that which have worked flawlessly, so I'd say the Jaguar looks like a nice amp.
The issue of carbon comp versus metal film resistors often seems to open up a can of worms on amp forums. I use metal film in my own builds but there are plenty of very experienced builders who will choose carbon comp. Metal film resistors drift less and are less noisy, but there is a measurable distortion from carbon comp resistors which will affect the sound - it's debatable how audible this is, but some say they prefer it. The article below describes this quite well.
[url="http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/carbon_comp/carboncomp.htm"]http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/carbon_comp/carboncomp.htm[/url]

The OP did ask for opinions, but I feel that the negative reply, no matter how valid, was poor etiquette.

If a friend had rocked up in a new car that they were obviously chuffed with and said "what do you think?", it would be poor form to say "the welding on these is sub par and the brake pipes are prone to corrosion".

They have already bought it and love it, so all that does is piss on their bonfire.

It would be a different story of someone was considering buying one and inviting opinions, then constructive criticism is welcome and truly helpful.

All IMO of course.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1342607170' post='1737656']
Maybe the wording on the website isn't great (the "military grade" and "point to point" bits ), but I don't see anything resembling sub-par wiring in this gut-shot IMO.
[url="http://www.jaguaramplification.com/i_guts.html"]http://www.jaguaramp...com/i_guts.html[/url]
It may not be built in the Military/Hiwatt style of lead-dress, but the chassis pictured on the website looks well built in a Marshall-esque construction style. If an amp is readily servicable and the layout doesn't cause noise or stability problems, then it is fit for purpose. As a DIYer I have built less tidy looking amps than that which have worked flawlessly, so I'd say the Jaguar looks like a nice amp.
[/quote]

The par is in the $3000 amp course, Marshalls are cheap and cheerful builds, and I've probably made my feelings on them clear before. They aren't in comparable territory, boutique price for mass produced quality. Layout and lead dress doesn't matter that much in a low gain amp, but for that money, you can get a low gain amp with good layout and lead dress. This one isn't necessarily bad, but it is help up to be something it isn't, and isn't special, and in the price range that gets you special. Note the OPs comparison points are all hifi SS amps, so all the recommendation says is he actually likes the sound of a simple valve amp rather that the high def reproduction o the sound of his bass. That's great, but it isn't specific to an amp.

Before and after buying an amp doesn't change the quality. If someone doesn't want to hear its rubbish before buying it, ask before buying it. Ask after and you are doing everyone who hasn't bought one yet a favour of saving them the same issue. If so happy with it, why the need to seek approval anyway?

Every time I see the same snake oil stuff about military point to point etc. I'm going to call it out, eventually, people will stop believing it. Point to Point is a terrible way to make amplifiers. Carbon comps are not long lasting components. Military applications use PCB, and military grade stuff uses lead solder you aren't allowed to use here, not actually sure if you can sell it here.

All good. Time Gents. :lol:

My Father (RIP) was stationed for training near Wiltshire, Salisbury during WWII, just before he left for D-Day I later visited there (Stonehenge! :o )
and saw how the flat territory was used to replicate battle etc.

Now: He told me later that during a fierce battle somewhere in France, they were hooked up with an English Artillery Unit that was providing fire for their Infantry- All of a sudden their shelling stopped...
He worked his way back to them, and said "Keep Firing!!!" They told him: "Just a minute, Mate- TeaTime!"
He swore it was true!

He also told me that they briefly joined with some English Special Forces, nd that they were without doubt, the most robust, well-trained, and toughest SOB's he had ever encountered in the Military!!

Mebbe I better watch what I say huh? :D

So- back to Bass Amps-
Useless to go on and on. If this amp is rubbish, you have been warned!
Works for me, sounds like I croaked and went to Valve-Sound Heaven, my discussions of a limited technical nature with henry before, during, and after the build convinced me he is an expert at what he does, and does so with a passion.

Lastly- These amps are not sold, they are built-to-order, so it's not like a store is going to snake-oil sell these to an interested player.
Honestly, I considered E-Mailing Henry, because I guarantee that he would have a few choice things to say in a technical manner, about his build philosophy and design. But let it rest. It would just open a can of worms.

I love this amp, think it's beauttiful, wanted to post it because I like looking at different rigs, like Cornford, which are never seen in the States, that's it.
No agenda, no motive.

Etiquette- "Assessing" is appropriate, tone is important as well for those who give a damn about such stuff.

I personally would not post under the Gent who was happy about his new American Standard J-Bass
"Bah, Fenders are low-QC, blah-blah-blah." (I dig Fenders btw)

But- It's all good.
Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1342611131' post='1737787']
Every time I see the same snake oil stuff about military point to point etc. I'm going to call it out, eventually, people will stop believing it. Point to Point is a terrible way to make amplifiers. Carbon comps are not long lasting components. Military applications use PCB, and military grade stuff uses lead solder you aren't allowed to use here, not actually sure if you can sell it here.
[/quote]

I ran out of solder and ran to the local old old electronics shop, been there years (now closed :( ) asked for some solder and got some lead stuff.... best stuff ever - quite a step up from maplins basic stuff! anyway, I found this thread and that was my interesting comment on it! :D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343670975' post='1753490']
I ran out of solder and ran to the local old old electronics shop, been there years (now closed :( ) asked for some solder and got some lead stuff.... best stuff ever - quite a step up from maplins basic stuff! anyway, I found this thread and that was my interesting comment on it! :D
[/quote]

60/40 lead solder is still available to the hobbyist, just not from Maplins, because Maplins is a terrible shop that recommends you go to bigger fuses if the ones you bought before keep blowing.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1343673607' post='1753552']
60/40 lead solder is still available to the hobbyist, just not from Maplins, because Maplins is a terrible shop that recommends you go to bigger fuses if the ones you bought before keep blowing.
[/quote] could have stopped at "shop"

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1344199093' post='1761196']
Not if they want to be able to sell what they make using it.[/quote]

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1344200420' post='1761236']
We use lead solder in our analytical instruments, though they do get sold worldwide (mainly US)[/quote]

My company uses it all the time some of our products go world wide as well, we have lead free but don't use it unless a customer asks for it.
And you cannot use lead free for High voltage applications as it breaks down.

Edited by Batfastard