Why become a member? ×

Look! Have you ever seen one??

Eljay

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1342504214' post='1736134']
looks heavy :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Not too bad; head about 40 lbs, cab about 70. Good thing it's on wheels!

[i]Better than having Volkswagen across the front of it :rolleyes: [/i]

LOL! True that!

[i]Oooooo gorgeous!! love it!!! :D [/i]

Thanks, this Amp sounds like Tube Heaven, really.
[url="http://www.jaguaramplification.com/amps.html"]http://www.jaguaramp...n.com/amps.html[/url]

Henry is a Bassist himself who designed this to be a recreation of a BlueLine SVT-
Actually did better IMO, it has the tone that only tubes can reproduce and KT88's do the job!

The Celestion TruVox drivers are awesome (Made in England- what else to expect??)
B)

Edited by Eljay

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342515059' post='1736271']
Not too bad; head about 40 lbs, cab about 70. Good thing it's on wheels!

B)
[/quote]

That's pretty light for an all valve head. What's the output?

Edit: just looked on the website. Is it the 200w head?

Edited by DirkThrust

Yep, 4xKT88, the amp is LOUD!! !!

Very toneful and great definition and depth.
Amazed he hasn't had more interest in his work, pretty good rep from gee-tarists, but almost unknown as a Bass Amp figure.

Pretty limited target audience tho- with all the great micro-heads and such...

Edited by Eljay

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1342524715' post='1736476']
That's a lovely looking rig.
[/quote]

Thanks! I asked him to use "Rough Blonde" tolex rather than basic black --- Partly because of the descriptive nature of the color! :lol:
He outsources the head and speaker box'es of course, but they do fine work.

Looks Good I think, Sounds like
HEAVEN! (Must be the tubes...I mean VALVES! :D

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342478290' post='1736023']
No affiliation with the Company, had this amp built for me a few years back after meeting/talking with the owner at NAMM:

4xKT88's 4x10 Celestion-loaded cab.

Whaddya think?
[/quote]

I really like the look of that rig , it has a cool , classic look.

LOL
There are some V-Dubs that [i]MOVE[/i], but then again-Nothing quite like a [i][b]Jaguar[/b][/i] automobile, especially the classic XKE's...

I was considering for a long while having a valve amp built for me; I had in mind something that would reproduce the classic tube sounds of a B15, but with higher-power and more headroom as well as the presence and mid-focus definition that is uprfront for the Bass Guitar in contemporary "pop" music.

I always liked KT88's as well. Contacted several builders, had some really neat ideas, then I saw this rig on exhibit at NAMM, he builds mostly high-end well-regarded guitar amps.
But he's a bassist, who used his lab to try & recreate the classic SVT Blueline tone.

I think his circuit and his matching up w/ 410 Celestions is better- Not as cumbersome as a 'Fridge combo, actually very ergonomic for a 200-watt tube amp-And it has PLENTY of power and range.
Nice touches with the "phat" and "bright" pulls, and a 3-way midrange freq choice, but ya know-
VOL BASS TREBLE is about all that's needed with a well-tuned rig like this.

Gets a lot of attention on stage too, wherein 90% of rigs are basic black.
Still better heard then seen tho>

Better off getting something domestic.

[quote][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Jaguar Amplifiers are built by musicians for musicians. We proudly handcraft all of our amps in the USA [b]using point-to-point wiring[/b]. We use only the finest components available: Magnetic Components transformers, [b]military grade turret boards[/b], Mallory 150 capacitors, [b]carbon composition resistors[/b], ceramic tube sockets, heavy gauge aluminum chassis, customized Celestion drivers, laser-etched control panels and 13-ply Baltic birch cabinets. Jaguar Amplifiers are built to last.[/font][/quote]

Point to point, or turret board layout, mutually exclusive things, from the blurry gut shot, it is turret. And carbon comp resistors don't last, they are problematic, age sensitive components that absorb water over time and make bad noises, pretty much responsible for the random bangs and high noise floor of the Sound City 120 mkivs I have loads of, I replace them with metal film. Looks like its a Fender pre with switchable mids rather than an Ampeg, from the simple component layout and not many valves. Ampegs have a complicated pre with a two band pre followed by a separate mid control circuit.

For nicely wired US made amps, check out [url="http://dunwichamps.com/Home_Page.php"]http://dunwichamps.com/Home_Page.php[/url] mostly pics are on the Stonerrocklives forum, since that is his hangout. But we have plenty of good amp builders here in the UK.

Edit: typo

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1342548554' post='1736972']
Better off getting something domestic.

Point to point, or turret board layout, mutually exclusive things, from the blurry gut shot, it is turret. And carbon comp resistors don't last, they are problematic, age sensitive components that absorb water over time and make bad noises, pretty much responsible for the random bands and high noise floor of the Sound City 120 mkivs I have loads of, I replace them with metal film. Looks like its a Fender pre with switchable mids rather than an Ampeg, from the simple component layout and not many valves. Ampegs have a complicated pre with a two band pre followed by a separate mid control circuit.

For nicely wired US made amps, check out [url="http://dunwichamps.com/Home_Page.php"]http://dunwichamps.com/Home_Page.php[/url] mostly pics are on the Stonerrocklives forum, since that is his hangout. But we have plenty of good amp builders here in the UK.
[/quote]

There are plenty of good amp builders everywhere I imagine-I've seen/heard/played amps from the UK, US, Czechoslavakia (or whhatever it's called now!) Italy, Russia, etc.

I bought the 200 in 2009, and it's seen a LOT of gig/stage time. A lot. The carbon comp resistors haven't given me any problems that you mention.

I wasn't suggesting ANYONE other than in the US buy or even consider this unit; ( I think he has a Dealer in the Netherlands, not the point.
Lots of good choice for amps, this IS ONE OF THEM.

Amazing sound, hand-built, the owner is a call away; he delivered the unit to me to save me from paying freight-

Why not PLAY THROUGH and really examine a rig before you pass some kind of judgement based on a "blurry gut shot" and your interpretation of his build specs.
I bet the Builder could chime in here and engage on a technical level; I won't and don't care to.
If this rig was/is not to your liking- That is fine.

Here's my Arsenal:

TecAmp Puma 500 w/ Genz-Benz Neox 210
ThunderFunk 750A w/ Bergantino HS-410
AER Amp One
Ampeg B15R
GK MB Fusion w/ Schroeder PL212
Mesa Boogie "Buster" 210 Wedge
and last not least
Jaguar 200/Matching 410

The list of rigs I've owned in the past- V4BH, Hellborg System, etc etc. would take way too long to list.

The Jaguar 200 is at the top of the food chain; leastwise for my requirements and sonic tastes.
ANd not a whimper from it in over 3 years.....

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342549428' post='1736988']
Why not PLAY THROUGH and really examine a rig before you pass some kind of judgement based on a "blurry gut shot" and your interpretation of his build specs.
[/quote]

I'll play through one if its to hand, but based on the self contradictory spec, and sub par wiring (bearing in mind I have a pretty high expectation due to my field) I'd not recommend them. First thing to do to impress me would be an honest spec. Failing at first hurdle.

Sure, yeah, OK whatever you like. I could forward your analysis to Henry, it would be interesting to hear his "rebuttal" as it were.
See; he's run a well-regarded and succesfull Company for some time now, works his butt of to assure high-regard for his gear, and seems to have the credentials.
The bulk of his line is highly reviewed, praised by and for guitarists, his 200 is the only bass-specific model in his line-up.

What would he say? Dunno,, don't care. I'm a Bassist, not an audio enginner or designer. I HAVE (obviosuly) played thru the 200, and couldn't be more pleased with it's tone.

Now this:
[size=3][font=Georgia, serif][size=5][size=6]Specs:[/size]

This amp was designed for heavy, saturated, fuzzy doom/sludge/stoner tone. [/size][/font][/size]

From your link-
NOTHING- I mean NO THING could be a less desireable sonic goal for me. For others, wunderbar, along with it's apparent non carbon comp resisitors, etc.
"Heavy, saturated, doom etc etc."

Uh, no- I actually play a little bit more in-the-pocket groove-style melodic and tight, not that I don't allow for many other styles, to each their zone.

But that-
NEXT!

Sorry, I haven't been here long at all, I don't know your field.

And whether you would play a Jaguar 200 and /or dissect it literally or figuratively, no matter what your findings- I'm happy, and would not want a rig made by mfr. whose sonic goal would [i]ever [/i]include "sludge" among it's attributes. Are U serious??!!!! Then sludge on!

See it all equals out in the end, no?

Actually, Yes it does.
Observe:
[b][font="Arial"][size="4"]Maceo Parker: Do You love Me[/size][/font][/b]

[b][font="Arial"][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0OAKh87plc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0OAKh87plc[/url][/font][/b]

Cheers.

Edited by Eljay

I can't actually make much sense of your previous post. I recommend Dunwich amps because the guy is an electrical engineer who can wire to a reasonably high standard. He designs amps, for purpose, rather than copying previously done stuff (bearing in mind most stuff has been done). I never recommend stuff on the basis it does my tone, I recommend stuff because I think its is the best way for someone to achieve their tone. Generally via people who actually know about what they are making.

Also, Jerome Preston has recently been playing my old BC Rich.

Are you generally getting at this amp is only good for doing what you do? Pretty expensive for something so limited. Everyone else is much better off paying custom amp prices for a custom amp built to suit them. Someone who only thinks sounding like themself is good isn't very useful for gear recommendations. I pretty much never recommend the amps I use, the midrange transparency is brutally revealing of any playing flaws.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342478290' post='1736023']
No affiliation with the Company, had this amp built for me a few years back after meeting/talking with the owner at NAMM:

4xKT88's 4x10 Celestion-loaded cab.

Whaddya think?
[/quote]

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342549428' post='1736988']
I bet the Builder could chime in here and engage on a technical level; I won't and don't care to.
If this rig was/is not to your liking- That is fine.
[/quote]

Why ask for peoples opinion on something, only to rip into someone who gave their opinion because its slightly negative? Doesn't work like that, going ultra defensive when confronted with legitimate points.

Chances are (And your probably aware) no one has likely played one here. So all we have to go on is specs on the site. And Oli knows what he is talking about.

[i]I can't actually make much sense of your previous post.[/i]

Try then re-reading it one sentence at a time. Take your time, no rush.

Let's take another turn:

I can't see any value in arguing YOUR opinion of how the Jaguar Amps are wired, constructed, and of what components they use.
I'm certain that the builder, Henry, would love to take issues with your appraisal of his work. Maybe not, he might be very busy building amps and running his business.
I've stated that the Jaguar 200 is a ridiculously beautiful sounding, toneful amplifier. Of course for [b]my[/b] purposes- For whom else??? I'd never loan my equipment out!
Even to a good friend!

I then stated that your recommendation of Dunwich amps-which I have seen before- touts a sludge/doom/saturated and fuzzy voicing.THAT (ugh) would never work for me, and the type of music I play, and my attack, my basses, my entire approach to playing the bass guitar.

Other bass players may have different goals, and quite obviously play in different ensembles, projects, etc.
Some of the users of the Model 200 are listed with videos on the Jaguar website, not my thang either, but obviously the 200 floats their boat as well.

I posted my amp here because I'm thrilled with it's sound, it's performance, it's value as a tool for my work as a musician, etc.
Other posters here in this thread apparently think a 200-Watt 4xKT88 Circuit would work well, and think that the aesthetic of the amp is superb, as do I.

You OTOH, seem to challenge it's construction, wiring, components, and overall design philosophy and approach.

I'm new here, I would imagine you have a history of such challenges and are highly-opinionated, as am I, towards MY gear.

I don't know who Jerome Preston is (I could google I suppose) and why him "playing your old BC Rich" has any bearing whatsoever on the original post- about a GREAT amp.

That's how I see it. Now- Is that a tad more clear?

No????

Shame! :lol:

[i]Chances are (And your probably aware) no one has likely played one here. So all we have to go on is specs on the site. And Oli knows what he is talking about. [/i]

Ummm that's why I posted about it???

What is wrong with the specs on the site??

[font="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"]- 200 watts (class AB)[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"]- 3-12AX7, 4 fan-cooled KT88s
- SIngle channel with active and passive inputs
- Master volume
- 3 position midrange tone selector, push-pull bass and brite boost
- 4x10 Celestion Truvox 1020 speakers, tuned port enclosure
- Head dimensions: 20"W x 10"H x 11 1/2"D; Weight: 50lbs.
- Cabinet dimensions: 24"W x 24"H x 19"D; Weight: 78lbs.[/font]

I personally would put my live performance with this rig over dry specs, which seem just fine to me, Thanks.

Jeesh.

And let Oli take his opinions and differences in build philosophy up with the builder, considering he's not heard of/seen Jaguar before, and his recommendation to a "sludge-driven rig" makes me wonder...

And Oh BTW- I think Henry Clift knows what he's talking about too. Otherwise, he'd probably be OOB, eh?

Edited by Eljay

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342573994' post='1737364']
[i]Chances are (And your probably aware) no one has likely played one here. So all we have to go on is specs on the site. And Oli knows what he is talking about. [/i]

Ummm that's why I posted about it???

What is wrong with the specs on the site??

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]- 200 watts (class AB)[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]- 3-12AX7, 4 fan-cooled KT88s
- SIngle channel with active and passive inputs
- Master volume
- 3 position midrange tone selector, push-pull bass and brite boost
- 4x10 Celestion Truvox 1020 speakers, tuned port enclosure
- Head dimensions: 20"W x 10"H x 11 1/2"D; Weight: 50lbs.
- Cabinet dimensions: 24"W x 24"H x 19"D; Weight: 78lbs.[/font]

I personally would put my live performance with this rig over dry specs, which seem just fine to me, Thanks.

Jeesh.

And let Oli take his opinions and differences in build philosophy up with the builder, considering he's not heard of/seen Jaguar before, and his recommendation to a "sludge-driven rig" makes me wonder...

And Oh BTW- I think Henry Clift knows what he's talking about too. Otherwise, he'd probably be OOB, eh?
[/quote]

I really cant be bothered to argue with you about this. Oli gave a legitimate opinion based on the description given. You asked for opinions and he gave it. No reason to go ultra defensive and ask him to take it elsewhere, where you yourself invited opinions in the first place.

Also Jerome Preston is the bass player for Maceo Parker. Surely must know him considering you posted that video?

Why are you posting on a forum if you don't want anyone to say anything? Fairly major part of my contribution to this forum is being able to turn specs into sounds, and vice versa, its pretty useful when it comes to helping people figure out solutions to problems in an entirely text based format. I've not recommended a rig in this thread at all. You went through the site of a builder I recommended and picked one yourself as an example. This is something I recommend people do when they are looking for rigs themselves, since a good builder is the best person to help you create you ideal amp, and I personally know Dunwich to be such a builder. If you put actual effort into picking a specifically wrong amp, just how useful do you think you contribution is going to be to other people?