Why become a member? ×

Sign In Stranger!

MB1

I think a good way to get new people to introduce themselves may be to have them directed to the Introduction Forums when they first sign in. I don't know if this is feasible. This is encourages them to feel included in the community when people reply back welcoming them.

Say a new person comes along, and their first post is selling an item. If someone was to tell them to introduce themselves first, in perhaps not too diplomatic a manner, it could make them feel unwelcome.

I see that some people feel discontented that a few are here purely as dealers. But a lot of people were first introduced here by selling an item (me included). I feel it is important that new members feel the laid-back and community spirit here, the reason I'm here rather than TB and other forums.

If when a new member first signs in, and it goes to the introduction forum, it feel it would help potential sellers feel part of the community, and encourage active membership... but not add a layer of restriction that I think dampens what we have here.

Edited by s_u_y_*

+1.

I agree that people should use the intro section before selling stuff but I don't think it's possible to make rules about it.

If someone hasn't got the good manners to introduce themselves before selling stuff then compelling them to do doesn't make them any more polite or less likely to rip anyone else off.

I think members can make their own minds up whether to buy off a total stranger. In my experience it makes me less inclined to buy off someone if they are using this forum as an alternative to freeads. Like the geezer who joined a couple of days ago and whose first three posts are trying to flog his Eden cab in three different threads

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='185463' date='Apr 25 2008, 06:02 PM']In my opinion, no.

They could write a load of lies about themselves... it doesn't make any difference.[/quote]

+1 - if we did have a fraudulent/dishonest or spammer type in our midst then a made up introduction would make no difference.

I do agree however that it should be encouraged, and would feel safest buying from someone who had introduced themselves (without being forced if possible) or someone who had posted a few times - but then it is up to us as individuals to make that choice!

I don't think it matter wther people sign in or not, as WoT says, it makes no real difference. What newbies SHOULD do when they sell on here is respect the fact that us forumites WILL post our opinions on their basses and their prices.

Or at least we would if the mods allowed it, and therein is the problem. Compared to Bassworld this place is way too PC, and because of this it has lost a lot of it's entertainment value and its community spirit. The reason we think we need newbies to sign in and introduce themselves - which again is a pointless exercise in terms of providing any real evidence as to who they are and what they're about (and who cares about politness) - is because we aren't allowed to say "bloody hell, what on earth makes you think anyone would buy that pile of crap at that price" or "if you think that's a genuine Fender you're living in cloud cuckoo land", and by doing so find out for ourselves who the new seller really is and what they're really about :) .

Rant over
Chris

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='185463' date='Apr 25 2008, 06:02 PM']In my opinion, no.

They could write a load of lies about themselves... it doesn't make any difference.[/quote]

+1 on that ,,, I still feel a min of 10 posts before being able to sell.

I think that it would be polite to introduce yourself before you sell but if you're new to the forum then you may be completely unaware that there's a general feeling that this should be done before you sell, so some new users (like myself) are oblivious to this and sell straight away and then get involved more with general forum banter etc later.
I agree with possibly having had to have made a certain number of posts before being able to sell. My housemates are members of talkaudio.co.uk and that forum has a regulation that blocks users from posting new topics in the "for sale" section until they have made 50 posts, although I think 50 may be a little excessive. Having said this, I do understand from the admin perspective that the marketplace generates a lot of traffic.

IMO yeah it would be nice for people to say hello before they start selling whether that be on the intro section or just contributing to another topic. However, i dont think its right for people to start having a go at members when they do sell before saying hello.

If someone does sell as their first post, a PM and a
'hi most people tend to prefer people to say hello before selling items on here' is a much more civil way of going about it than posting a reply on the post saying:
'WHY DONT YOU TRY GOING AND SAYING HELLO IN THE INTRO SECTION BEFORE TRYING TO FLOG YOUR GEAR ON HERE!!!'

this isnt meant to encourage argument, its just my opinion!

Cheers
Alex

I've tried the polite approach of asking a few of the newbies to pop over and introduce themselves (which some have) but I begin to feel like a fussy tw*t as I'm pretty much one of the few that does. I'd personally sign up to the Beedster approach that if a newbie comes on and starts selling straight away I'd like to be able to tell them a few home truths (obviously only if applicable) without fear of public stoning from a section of BC who would consider me a bully or worse!

damned if I do; damned if I don't

[quote name='paul, the' post='185968' date='Apr 26 2008, 03:48 PM']The choice to introduce will tell me more than an introduction ever could.[/quote]

+1

i haven't voted though, as i don't think either 'yes' or 'no' really say it. its nice if people do introduce themselves, but not essential.

x

Edited by mewsie

First let me say that I've had the pleasure of meeting some of the people who are in the "Pro-introduction" camp - many of whom are also in the "Pro discussion of prices in for sale threads" camp - and I've enjoyed meeting every one of you. Have come close to deals with some others from these two camps too and I think all of you are thouroughly decent chaps.

Having said that, I just don't get why these two issues (which tend to go hand in hand), grate you all so much.

The For Sale section is of benefit to the whole of the community of users here, not just because we get to sell gear, but also because there's a whole bunch of gear that becomes available for us to buy. As soon as you put a restriction on the selling of gear, no matter how well intentioned, you are going to restrict the amount of gear that is available.

Can anyone think of a single case where an item being advertised for sale on here at what most consider a grossly inflated price has actually sold at that price?

And if you can think of one, were you the person who bought it? If not, why are you bothered? The buyer, whoever they were, was clearly happy to pay the price. There's plenty of threads on here and resources all over the internet which give an idae of prices and a simple search on Google will reveal the best new prices for most pieces of kit. If someone is not bothered about checking those kind of things out for themselves, why should anyone feel the need to be the guardian of their wallet?

I've bought plenty of gear on here and tried to buy plenty of gear on here. On most I've made an offer and if it's accepted great, if not that's fine too. Where someone's valuation of their gear is way out of line with what mine is, I simply wish them luck and move on. Same the other way round where my valuation is higher than theirs.

What benefit is there, to anyone, of getting involved, especially if you're not interested in buying the item yourself? It is utterly futile and only serves to get people wound up, yourselves included. Don't like the price? Ignore it. Simple. If you can't help but express an opinion, do it via PM, do it politely and be prepared to be told to mind your own business.

Otherwise we might as well draw up an Official Basschat Book of Second Hand Gear Prices, publish it monthly and disallow any ads selling outside the prescribed parameters of the book.

Ridiculous? Maybe, but essentially that's what's being advocated. Control.

Forcing people to post elsewhere before selling does nothing to help ascertain their credibility, all it does is possibly deter them from joining. That's possibly one less member of the community to bring their insight/experience, one less member to buy whatever you are selling and one less person whose gear won't be up for sale to us all.

Yes, lots of people have been part of the community for a long time, but wouldn't the community better be served by you using your time to post a new fingering for a scale or mode or tips you've picked up down the years on settiing up at different venues (which gives me an idea for a thread) or a whole host of other nuggets from your bass playing experience imstead of fretting over who's selling what and for how much?

Ultimately, the decision should lie with whoever put in the time and effort to build this place from the ashes of Bassworld. Whatever they decide or have decided to do, should be the end of these issues.

Let's get on with being community of bass players whose shared experiences enrich all of our lives and stop worrying about policing things which there is no need to police.

For what it's worth, I first came to Bassworld via the For Sale section. If I'd had to introduce myself, I wouldn't have bothered joining, I feel sure I'm not the only one.

Edited by P-T-P