Why become a member? ×

I love playing bass

kevin_lindsay

I've been (attempting) to play for about 10 months whenever I get the chance (which isn't that often). I previously couldn't play any musical instrument. Despite that think I've made reasonable progress in that time...I now know how to plug it in and which end to play :)

Sorry, I can't love it, as I don't know how it's done.
That said, I've loved the low end as long as I can remember, and have used every opportunity after that to move the wires on every bass I could get my hands on.

As relayed earlier, I "taught" a friend how to play "Games Without Frontiers" without being able to play the bass myself.

Even was the "bassist" at one or two very short performances when a band's real bassist wasn't there. That was a matter of remembering where to place my fingers, and not actual bass playing.

Invested in my first own bass last October or so, making my attempts history one of nine months.

best,
bert

Did I say I'm loving it?

• 6 years later...

Started playing when I was 15 my bass teacher played blues so that’s what I mainly learned, then started playing reggae and I’m still playing it now at 55 , and loving it more than ever , and I’m picking up my custom sandberg tomorrow, that I ordered in December which also adds to the fun 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just over 30 years and still learning new things, still improving and certainly still loving it. When I was at school along with my parents, I was told that I will never make a musician and I don't have a musical bone in my body. I must of been about 10 and I then picked up the bass at about 17. I played it every day in my bedroom for 2 years and then went out and joined a band. I've played Stadium Rock, Indie Guitar Punk Pop, Folk Pop, Acoustic Soul, Electronic EBM, 50s/60 pop, 50's sounding Rock n Roll and depped for a U2 tribute band. I've had a record deal, been on TV, written music for an advert, multiple live radio sessions, many tours either supporting or on my own. I've worked and recorded with many named artists, did 119 gigs last year and have gigs booked up for the next 3 years. I consider myself very lucky but every day there is something new I learn about playing bass, it never stops, it never gets boring and I love it to bits. No idea how long I will keep going as my fingers seem tighter these days and a couple of knuckles get sore occasionally so gonna make the most of it while I can.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20-odd years on and off, had to give up regular guitar playing, because of RA in my fretting hand: tried to re-learn drums, but again too painful.  Hope I can continue with the bass though, but a nearly 72 years of age, everything is slowing down........

Edited by Baxlin
  • Like 1