Why become a member? ×

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights

Lozz196

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1344014573' post='1758816']
I still don't see the attraction. Something for blokes of a certain age...?
[/quote]

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1344018837' post='1758878']
I think many of us were young when Kate Bush was young as well, so we've sort of grown old together, hence the attraction for our male contingent...? I find that much more dignified than perving after women young enough to be their daughters.
[/quote]

Surely the point is that she's one of the most original musical talents that the UK has produced, who also took control of her music at an early stage in her career and refused to be dictated to by the music industry and did a lot to break down the walls for idiosyncratic female artists who followed her. Yes, she's very attractive, but I don't think that's a consideration that would have come up if, say, this was a thread about Peter Gabriel, Bowie, or any other male British artist who has pushed the envelope to that extent.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1344020350' post='1758905']
I think the comment referred to the "phwoaar-worthy" photo of her with the bass, not specifically to her music.
[/quote]

Fair enough - it is a very attractive bass ;-)

Edited by Panamonte

[size=5][sub]I absolutely love her! My mum got me into her music when i was five. Then when i was older i fell in love for different reasons. Ha ha. her music and songwriting is genius. One of the best. There is good bass playing on loads of her stuff. Babooshka for starters. (good for other reasons too!)[/sub][/size]

http://youtu.be/6xckBwPdo1c

and check this out

http://youtu.be/8CzKUmy6TFQ

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1344018837' post='1758878']
I think many of us were young when Kate Bush was young as well, so we've sort of grown old together, hence the attraction for our male contingent...? I find that much more dignified than perving after women young enough to be their daughters.
[/quote]

She's 10 years older than me! She shouldn't have dressed like that, corrupting 9 year old boys! Disgraceful behaviour. :)

Love KB, probably what inspired me as a youngster to play guitar then bass. For me it was "going on holiday in the car" music as my dad was/is a fan.

My band recorded a version of December Will Be Magic Again a while back (shameless plug alert :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5WyWzMy0YU

Yup, defo love KB. I just wish there was something I could use to strong-arm my favourite songbirds to do 'Wuthering Heights', 'Babooshka', 'Running Up That Hill', 'Sat in Your Lap' combined with 'Rhiannon' 'I Don't Want to Know' 'You Make Loving Fun' 'Second Hand News' 'Go Your Own Way' 'Blue Letter' / 'Crucified' 'Cornflake Girl' 'Little Earthquakes' 'Silent All These Years' ... I'd play that set for free, goddamnit.

I'd be crying or have shivers running up and down my spine through the set - well worth the trouble of driving/load-in/play/load-out/drive...

Edited by nobody's prefect

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1344014573' post='1758816']
I still don't see the attraction. Something for blokes of a certain age...?
[/quote]

I always thought she was lovely, but I think she's become quite stunningly beautiful as she's got older.
(I've never liked that picture of her with the bass though).

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1342308775' post='1733194']
The first album (KIck Inside) is very inventive and 'The Man WIth The Child In his Eyes' is always a goose-pimple inducing song for me.
[/quote]

A big +1 here.

Love Kate to bits. My fave albums are probably the first 2, but she's just done so much great, unique stuff.

[quote name='nobody's prefect' timestamp='1344106866' post='1759968']
Yup, defo love KB. I just wish there was something I could use to strong-arm my favourite songbirds to do 'Wuthering Heights', 'Babooshka', 'Running Up That Hill', 'Sat in Your Lap' combined with 'Rhiannon' 'I Don't Want to Know' 'You Make Loving Fun' 'Second Hand News' 'Go Your Own Way' 'Blue Letter' / 'Crucified' 'Cornflake Girl' 'Little Earthquakes' 'Silent All These Years' ... I'd play that set for free, goddamnit.

I'd be crying or have shivers running up and down my spine through the set - well worth the trouble of driving/load-in/play/load-out/drive...
[/quote]

Wow; nice set!!!!! :)

Check out her 50 Words For Snow album. A real grower.

Have a feeling that it was on one of her single sleeves back in the day (perhaps Babooshka) that I first noticed a Jazz with dots rather than blocks, and as a boy (with my 74 Jazz of course) it got me ever so confused.

CB

I play in a Kate Bush tribute show called WOW - I feel like a pig in poo as far as the bass parts go; some wonderful lines to be played, as others have said :)

Hoping to be on tour with it next spring.

Here's a pic from our Liverpool show last April, taken during BREATHING - prob my fave in the set ;)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1343932405' post='1757592']
Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite 70s songs. Haven't had the opportunity to find out the bassline by ear yet - anyone got a link to the dots by any chance, to save me (and anyone else who might be interested) a bit of time?

Clarky, please keep us all posted about your next gig, with or without KB tribute. Hopefully a little closer to west London next time?
[/quote]

Hi bluejay, have just posted a transcription in the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/31-theory-and-technique/"][color="#282828"]Theory and Technique[/color][/url] Forum. I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I did working it out.

[quote name='wal4string' timestamp='1344536077' post='1766206']
Hi bluejay, have just posted a transcription in the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/31-theory-and-technique/"][color=#282828]Theory and Technique[/color][/url] Forum. I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I did working it out.
[/quote]

Excellent! Thank you so very much! Several hours' work saved :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just joined [url="http://www.cloudbustingkatebushtribute.com/home.cfm"]http://www.cloudbust...te.com/home.cfm[/url] I am so looking forward to the first gig next weekend, quite a low key one thank goodness, but then we have a couple of more significant ones to do! I have always been in awe of the variety of sounds and textures on her tracks, very few are the same, so while there is a large contingent of fretless woobling (Breathing, Babooshka, etc), there is also some good hard rock (James and the cold gun), blues (symphony in blue), and a whole bunch of textural stuff, and even some slapping here and there... a dream gig as far as I am concerned!

Lisa is quite amazingly, uncannily "soundalike". Del Palmer himself has been highly complementary! The band is less than 4 months old, currently four gigs showing in the diary, but already there is massive interest, lots going on behind the scenes, and the gig diary will be updated in the coming weeks, so if you can get to one of them, do come and check us out!

Feedback from KB fans suggests they don't like tributes to try and "be" Kate. No-one can or should even try in my opinion, she's unique (though big respect to the guys in Bobby K's outfit!). Our performances will initially be based on the music and the best replication/interpretation that can be managed for music which was entirely studio written and largely [i]never [/i]played live by her, as she has so far (I for one would be first in the queue for tickets when the next one is announced!), only toured once.

Edited by MoJoKe