Why become a member? ×

Wyman back with the Stones?

rubis

OK, so he's a bit crinkled around the edges these days but Bill Wyman was a fine bass player back in the day.

Of course he should be there. A 50 year celebration of the Stones with Darryl Jones on bass? What would that be about?

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1342137032' post='1730405']
f*** em. And all the bullshit that has ever surrounded them.
[/quote]

I think, to some extent, there's bullshit surrounding any band that have employed a manager

[quote name='JD1' timestamp='1342158271' post='1730437']
Not sure about the "not a great bass player" bit. Was listening to Miss You on Radio 2 the other day. What a great bassline - and sound! Never really noticed it before.
[/quote]

Yes, great bassline.

Never understood the "Bill's not much cop" thing. I thought he fitted the band far better than Darryl Jones, who IMO gave them a different feel which (also IMO) didn't work half as well. I really like Bill's playing in the Stones, always have.

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1342166155' post='1730512']
+1 He's got great feel for the music and plays only what is needed, A very rare gift IMO.
[/quote]

Exactly. How many times have we said that the bass is there to hold things together but not hog the limelight? Sort of unnoticeable until it's not there and leaves a gaping hole?

Huge bands don't carry passengers.

Anyway, Bill seemed pretty good to me when I saw him a few years ago with the Rhythm Kings - a bunch of great musicians at the top of their game having a great time with some great songs. Why can't people not just revel in enjoying the music?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1342168475' post='1730560']
Anyway, Bill seemed pretty good to me when I saw him a few years ago with the Rhythm Kings - a bunch of great musicians at the top of their game having a great time with some great songs. Why can't people not just revel in enjoying the music?
[/quote]

+1. I've seen them a few times, they always play locally when they tour. Great mix of music, played briliantly. Albert Lee is a superstar!!

Saw Bill Wyman with the Rhythm Kings last summer and thought he was brilliant (as were the whole band). Did exactly what the songs required with no waankery. Excellent stuff.

Edited to add that if you put two 'a's in the word above it gets through the filter. As does Twat!

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1342202339' post='1731656']
Saw Bill Wyman with the Rhythm Kings last summer and thought he was brilliant (as were the whole band). Did exactly what the songs required with no waankery. Excellent stuff.

Edited to add that if you put two 'a's in the word above it gets through the filter. As does Twat!
[/quote]
So aardvark should be OK as well.

To those saying that it's not the Stones without Bill. It's a fair point. However, how many of the same people would say that Ronnie Wood should get booted in favour of Mick Taylor who played on their more successful albums and (as admitted by Jagger) was/is a much better player. I bet not many.

Personally I think Wyman is awful, but then again The Stones aren't a bass led band and with 2 guitars the opportunities for "noodling" aren't that great. Everyone always goes on about the bassline from Miss You. Wyman has been trading on that for the last 30 years, but you could argue he never really got a chance to shine so to speak especially when other people in the band would play bass if he wasn't about. In the case of Miss You, it's the best thing about a very mediocre song.

I'd have no interest in paying £135 for a ticket just so that they could play for 80 minutes as they did at Hampden a few years ago. Good luck with that. Had I actually been alive, I'd much rather have seen them in 1972.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1342265147' post='1732510']
I'd have no interest in paying £135 for a ticket just so that they could play for 80 minutes as they did at Hampden a few years ago. Good luck with that. Had I actually been alive, I'd much rather have seen them in 1972.
[/quote]

Yep, that's the thing that does it (or rather, doesn't) for me. I saw them at Wembley Stadium on the Steel Wheels tour - my first and last large stadium gig. Dreadful experience. I'd far rather go to see Bill and his Rythmn Kings in St Albans Arena where you can actually see the whites of their eyes.

But, it's quite clear there's still a market for such mega-gigs so good luck to them I guess.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1342165687' post='1730499']
Never understood the "Bill's not much cop" thing. I thought he fitted the band far better than Darryl Jones, who IMO gave them a different feel which (also IMO) didn't work half as well. I really like Bill's playing in the Stones, always have.
[/quote]
Agreed. I'm not a major Stones fan but like a lot of their stuff and listening to Wyman's lines, well, they're rather unique in their style, I think.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1342258066' post='1732344']
I bought "Je suis un Popstar" when I was a nipper (I had bad taste in music even back then!)
[/quote]

Ahhh... the song with the telling line: '...they'll think I'm your dad, and you're my dot-ah.' !!