Why become a member? ×

FS/FT/PX lovely C19 German Flatback £2750 ovno *SOLD*

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1343854263' post='1756481']
Yes, you should definitely keep hold of this beautiful bass for at least two years, when I will have saved up enough to give you the cash price.
[/quote]

I think that's the way things are going Sarah. Having said that, having too keep the bass is hardly an imposition is it :rolleyes:

Chris

[quote name='gcordez' timestamp='1344011969' post='1758766']
phew. hold onto that bass, its a good un
[/quote]

Agreed Greg, I was balancing the longtime dream of owning a decent quality DB with the pragmatism of needing a DB-like instrument to play in a current project, and the latter very nearly won the day. Correct decision made I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Recent house move and change of priorities in many respects means that this lovely instrument is on the market again, either for cash (£3000 ono) or in an equivalent trade/PX deal, ideally involving a lower value DB, but I'm very flexible. Note that I'm now living in rural mid/north Wales so tryouts might be challenging! Having said that, several guys on here have played it and loved it so i'm sure any potential buyer would not be short of references! Happy to travel to accommodate a deal

Chris

[quote name='gcordez' timestamp='1353954713' post='1880242']
I know that bass, and it's lovely. Chris is a top bloke also.
Sorry to hear you are considering selling it again..
[/quote]

Thanks Greg, yes, a lovely bass indeed, but just not getting played enough and with the recent move to the country and other things happening in more important areas of life, I'm not sure it will ever get played to the degree that justifies keeping it. As I said about my fretless Ric though, I won't be too sad if it doesn't sell :rolleyes:

Hope all's well mate

Chris

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1354038174' post='1881282']
Just to say I'm out of the running, having bought a flatback via Keith. Good luck with the sale though. It sounds like you'll win either way!
[/quote]

Glad to hear it Sarah, that means you've got a decent bass and there's one less person to take this beauty off my hands!

Couple of folks have asked for dimensions (apologies for the wait, getting a tape measure proved more challenging than I'd expected!).

So......

Total height 187cm
Speaking length 105cm
Neck length to body joint 47cm
Width of neck at nut 40mm (measured with digital callipers so this is exact)
Width of neck at joint with body 68mm (again, measured with callipers)
Back length 111cm
Upper bout width 52cm
Lower bout width 66cm
Middle bout 36cm
Depth 21cm

Hope that helps

Chris

[quote name='zranyard' timestamp='1354671999' post='1889077']
This bass is beautiful and I want it in my life
[/quote]

Ha ha, it's only a credit card payment away zranyard! All seriousness folks, my idea scenario here would be to keep it, but the next best scenario is a PX with a decent but not quite so outstanding instrument, so a nice bass in the £1000-£1500 range plus cash would work very nicely for me. If you're looking to upgrade to a better DB, now could be a very good time to do so :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1355220299' post='1895425']
Had a good long play on this at the weekend (something I sadly don't get to do that often) and it really is an outstanding instrument :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Dont keep playing it, You will get attached again lol

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1355831747' post='1903240']
Dont keep playing it, You will get attached again lol
[/quote]

Tell me about it, I've also got to stop listening to Nighthawks at the Diner by Tom Waits which was kinda my inspiration to play DB in the first place.

And guess what I'm listening to as I write........ :rolleyes:

Forgot to mention that this is still on the market, and to reiterate, ideally for PX with an instrument in the £1000-1500 range. As I live a long way from where most DB players seem to live, I can't really travel to try out a PX instrument on spec, so I guess I can only really take an instrument that has either some provenance here, or for which the seller can provide decent soundclips, photos and possibly valuation/receipts etc. In short, I really can't take a shot in the dark on an instrument just to get a deal on this one.
Cheers
C

• 4 weeks later...

I've now sorted a cheaper but usable DB so this lovely old German thing is now fully for sale (i.e., no need for PX with either a DB or EUB). I'll accept offers in the region of £2750, which given that it is probably worth substantially over the £4,000 Greg was originally asking when I bought it from him (and the £5k price tag it would likely have in a shop, see Keith's post on page 1 of this thread), makes this DB a serious proposition for both the new player moving up to the level of a serious instrument, or as a back-up for the pro's amongst us.

Re trades/PX, as I said in my basses for sale thread elsewhere on this forum, due to the remoteness of my location and Beedster Jnr v.2 being on the way (as well as Beedster Jnr v.1 having spent an awful lot of what little money I had), I'm no longer going to gig either bass or DB and am going to focus on recording at home. In short, unless you have a Gibson J-200 or J-185 or a Jap '62 Precision RI, I'd appreciate it if you didn't offer trades. Sorry if that sounds rude but I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='funkyprawn' timestamp='1358212926' post='1935110']
Eyup Chris,

Is the bass still for sale? If so, would it be possible to come and try it out? Whereabouts in North Wales are you?

Cheers,

Shaun
[/quote]

Hi Shaun, yes, still for sale. One guy of the forum has first dibs so to speak so I will get back to you re a try-out once he's made a decision
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='funkyprawn' timestamp='1358294797' post='1936758']
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. Ok let me know how things go. Whereabouts are you out of interest?

Cheers,

Shaun
[/quote]

Hi Shaun, I'm about 20 miles north of Aberystwyth, in a very rural setting! I work at the University so if things work out I'd be happy for you to try out there as you're more likely to be able to find the Uni than you are our house!

Chris

Chris