Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BH250

eude

Just tested and bought a BH250 at Dawsons in Leeds (wanted to try first).
Great tool but will need footswitch to be really versatile to switch between last two loaded patches.
Been through most of the online Toneprints and some of them are flawed and drop out (particularly Flangers so not concerned).
The Spectracomp Compressor is impressive as are some of the Chorus and Cleaner Octave effects. Rosco beck's harmonic Butler Octave is a bit of a beast :)

Think it unlikely they will ever release the Toneprint editor. I really want something that takes advange of the +1 Octave so will have to be patient.

Now to find cab(s) to use with it :)

• 2 weeks later...

My free Corona Chorus pedal arrived today. So far in a rehearsal and a gig the BH250 has been fine with just my ABM mini15 - when the Midget arrives then I'll be even happier. I can foresee some of my existing kit will be up sale. I'll give the Corona pedal a whirl at the next gig.

I've had one a few weeks now. Love it to pieces. Fantastic sound, sounds great with my 1x15. Only used it at one rehearsal and man did it deliver. It was up against and orange 2x12 and a another one that was powered by a Mesa triple rectifier. For practice, just iPhone in, headphones out and again it's fantastic. The toneprint's a great feature too.

Still waiting on the pedal though, but I'll probably be swapping that for the foot switch.

No it won't I am afraid, you will need to run 2 x 8 ohm cabs to get the full 250w at 4 ohms.

[quote name='geetarlover' timestamp='1355780455' post='1902748']
Total noob question here; I plan on using this head with a Harley Benton (budget) 2x10 at 8ohms. Will this still give me the full 250 watt output? Pretty sure it will as the head accepts anything above 4ohms, just need some clarification.

Tidy.
[/quote]

I don't think its 250 at 8 ohms, but it's still plenty loud enough. I use mine with a single RS212 and it holds its own against a drummer and a guitarist through a Marshall combo, I have the master vol at about 1pm.
I'm sure you are aware but the head only has a single Speakon outlet, so make sure your HB cab has one or get a suitable cable to fit

And get one before the end of the year to claim a free chorus pedal, even more of a bargain!

I must be doing something wrong with mine! I took it to one full band rehearsal and had to have it at about 3pm and even then it was too quiet so went back to the Mark Bass head very quickly!

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1355781148' post='1902757']
I don't think its 250 at 8 ohms, but it's still plenty loud enough. I use mine with a single RS212 and it holds its own against a drummer and a guitarist through a Marshall combo, I have the master vol at about 1pm.
I'm sure you are aware but the head only has a single Speakon outlet, so make sure your HB cab has one or get a suitable cable to fit

And get one before the end of the year to claim a free chorus pedal, even more of a bargain!
[/quote]

• 3 months later...

I found the exact same thing using one Bergantino cab (8ohms), I have not tried it in the same situation with both of them and thus getting the full 4 ohm output. To me that defeats the point of a small lightweight head if you have to then take 2 cabs to make it work for you!

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' timestamp='1365316889' post='2037870']
I've just had a couple of rehearsals and I had the volume at 3pm and our rehearsals aren't particularly noisy. IMHO at 8Ohm it's not enough for a stage monitor. I was playing through a Midget(8Ohms).Thinking of getting a Compact, that would definitely get the most out of the BH250.
[/quote]

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the thread resurrection..... but I was hoping someone has tried at 4ohm what the volumes are like?I currently have my 500w lh500 running into a 2x10 which is wired at 16ohms and I'm finding that has plenty of volume for me... it seems a bit daft carting about an lh500 when one of these bad boys once i wire my cab at 4ohms would do the trick!

Different strokes for different folks, and all that, but...I tried a BH250 before I bought my LH500!

Depends how loud you need, I guess, but A/B'd through a single Barefaced Compact (8 ohm), and leaving tonal differences aside, in terms of simply volume the LH500 blew the BH250 (and the BH500) into the weeds.

Not sure if that helps...

I know what you mean. My LH500 is super loud, but im only running my 300w cab at 16 ohms, so realistly I'm getting nowhere near the 500w power but yet its still overpowered for my needs. I also understand that people are likely to have tried heads through an 8ohm cab and it would likely be pretty weak through that, but I have the ablility to get a 300w @ 4 ohm cab so in theory I should be able to get the best out a BH250.

Depending how my cars MOT goes this month, i might be tempted to pick one up and give it a go for a month or so.... then sell on either the LH500 or BH250 depending on what the outcome is!

• 1 month later...

Yep, I have a 4 ohm cab. It's a Fender rumble 4x10. max 500W continuous, 1000w program. at about 9 o clock it starts to drown out guitars which are cranked up past 12 o clock. (marshall amp, blackstar head) I can easily hear over drums. Sometimes i have to turn down a bit. This thing cuts!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1365354092' post='2038439']
I found the exact same thing using one Bergantino cab (8ohms), I have not tried it in the same situation with both of them and thus getting the full 4 ohm output. To me that defeats the point of a small lightweight head if you have to then take 2 cabs to make it work for you!
[/quote]

I've got a BH250 plus RS210 and RS212 cabs. I've rehearsed and gigged with just the 210, just the 212 and with both. I can't really remember the venues for each configuration because I've not had a volume problem with any of them, though I did an outdoor wedding reception with just the 212 (the 210 stayed in the car) without problems. I previously played with an Ashdown Mag 300 Evo II and various combinations of Mag210/Mag115 but mainly 2x Mag210 and I've not noticed any volume problems with the BH250 config - though my back is happier.

I'm not pretending this is a definitive answer, more to illustrate that asking this sort of 'loudness' advice comes with so many variables that it probably renders any answers not too helpful. The only real way to be sure is to try one for yourself.

I don't get the logic of your last point - I'd rather carry more light items than fewer big and heavy ones.

Perhaps I had a duff one then!

Point I was making is that for me I like to load in to the venue in one trip and that means only using 1 cab another not 2, I achieve this with the Mark Bass head and one of the 1x12 Berg cabs in all sorts of venues and have never felt underpowered but with the BH250 I got nowhere near this hence why I sold it on!!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1379534325' post='2213946']

I've got a BH250 plus RS210 and RS212 cabs. I've rehearsed and gigged with just the 210, just the 212 and with both. I can't really remember the venues for each configuration because I've not had a volume problem with any of them, though I did an outdoor wedding reception with just the 212 (the 210 stayed in the car) without problems. I previously played with an Ashdown Mag 300 Evo II and various combinations of Mag210/Mag115 but mainly 2x Mag210 and I've not noticed any volume problems with the BH250 config - though my back is happier.

I'm not pretending this is a definitive answer, more to illustrate that asking this sort of 'loudness' advice comes with so many variables that it probably renders any answers not too helpful. The only real way to be sure is to try one for yourself.

I don't get the logic of your last point - I'd rather carry more light items than fewer big and heavy ones.
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1379536931' post='2214007']
Point I was making is that for me I like to load in to the venue in one trip and that means only using 1 cab another not 2, I achieve this with the Mark Bass head and one of the 1x12 Berg cabs in all sorts of venues and have never felt underpowered but with the BH250 I got nowhere near this hence why I sold it on!!
[/quote]

Fair enough. I'd agree that the ideal is a one trip load-in/out, but I'm probably a way off that because of all the other bits I tend to bring along for the rest of the band. But at least they are all easily carried.

Actually, if I could drop all the ancilliary stuff, I could probably do a one trip load in/out if I put the BH250 and bass in my soft case over my shoulders, leaving both hands to carry one of the cabs.

I guess a lot depends on locations and travel arrangements. I'm fortunate that Mrs FF usually comes with me and is happy to sit in the car while I do my two (or three) trips before going off to park the car and walk back to the venue. The same thing works very well in reverse. Now if only I could get her to carry all the gear as well . . . .

Mrs FF sounds like a star and you sir are a very lucky fellow!!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1379537692' post='2214028']

Fair enough. I'd agree that the ideal is a one trip load-in/out, but I'm probably a way off that because of all the other bits I tend to bring along for the rest of the band. But at least they are all easily carried.

Actually, if I could drop all the ancilliary stuff, I could probably do a one trip load in/out if I put the BH250 and bass in my soft case over my shoulders, leaving both hands to carry one of the cabs.

I guess a lot depends on locations and travel arrangements. I'm fortunate that Mrs FF usually comes with me and is happy to sit in the car while I do my two (or three) trips before going off to park the car and walk back to the venue. The same thing works very well in reverse. Now if only I could get her to carry all the gear as well . . . .
[/quote]