Why become a member? ×

Make One Of These For Your Bass! (Bridge Distance Piece)

Stompbox

MAKE ONE OF THESE FOR YOUR BASS ! ! !
Following on from my notes about doing the bass bridge & re-cutting the slots in the nut, I felt that I just had to put notes and photos on this item in.

When I kept tuning up and & slackening the strings off it was difficult to constantly check that the bridge was at right angles to the belly of the instrument all the time – the danger is, of course, of the bridge collapsing/falling over if it’s not perpendicular to the front of the bass.

It is amazing how much difference a correctly set bridge makes to the sound – I had mine about 5 or 6mm out of place & not quite upright & all I was getting was the percussive thump rather than the note.

I read about this on another site, so I’m not claiming credit for this, but it’s so obvious now I’ve read about it.

I reckon everyone who owns a double bass should make one! You have to know exactly where your bridge should be set, and then measure the distance from the end of the fingerboard to the back of the bridge when it’s perfectly in place.

[attachment=112004:Distance piece 1.jpg]

It’s just a piece of plywood with a notch cut in it to fit the top of the bridge, and a piece cut out to fit over the end of the fingerboard.

This sets the distance from the top of the bridge exactly. It makes a BIG differenc to messing about trying to judge it, and you can repeat it time after time. The measurement on my bass is 9 and 3/16”, but this will, of course vary from bass to bass

[attachment=112005:Distance piece 2.jpg]

I also put a couple of tiny marks on the front of the bass where the bridge feet should go.

[attachment=112006:Distance Piece 3.jpg]

This means you can set the bridge perfectly, time after time.

I put a bit of green baize on the distance piece to protect the fingerboard, and some masking tape in the notch to protect the top of the bridge. – go on – make one for yourself – your bass deserves it ! ! !

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
17 minutes ago, Pascaldanns said:

Hi. I am new to this forum.  Can you tell me how to view the pictures attached to the page as I am trying to follow the instructtions you have provided.  Many thanks Pascal

Sorry, Pascal, but you're out of luck on this score. A series of updates of Forum software a few years ago now had the unfortunate side effect of losing all the attachments (pictures...) for all the posts. There is no way of getting them back (yes, it was attempted...). Try a Private Message (PM...) to @Stompbox,  the Original Poster (OP...), to see if the pics are still in existence..? Be aware, though that his last visit here was two years ago. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353