Why become a member? ×

Ashdown + Active Sub

lateralus462

Ashdown made a shortlived powered sub to take advantage of the sub out. Warwick did the same. A PA sub would be an option, but surely just adding another cab would be easier? You've got 500 watts after all - do you need more?

[quote name='Machines' post='183842' date='Apr 23 2008, 02:34 PM']I feel the ABM has a few features that aren't terribly useful to anyone. The sub out and 'sub-harmonic generator' (octaver) being two of them. In the real world no-one is going to bring an extra sub with them..[/quote]

been nagging me for a while so i'll ask here, does anyone really notice the subharmonic generator with it on or do you really need something like a sub cab to get the effect from it? i just figured mine did not much at all.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='184645' date='Apr 24 2008, 04:40 PM']been nagging me for a while so i'll ask here, does anyone really notice the subharmonic generator with it on or do you really need something like a sub cab to get the effect from it? i just figured mine did not much at all.[/quote]
You'd probably need an extra 15" cab to notice it, though i still can't for the life of me figure out why it's there. My old behringer had one and it just sounded awful (it could have had something to do with the fact that it was a behringer but i still can't see it being incredibly useful on the ashdown either), I'll see what happens when i pick mine up on sunday

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='184645' date='Apr 24 2008, 04:40 PM']been nagging me for a while so i'll ask here, does anyone really notice the subharmonic generator with it on or do you really need something like a sub cab to get the effect from it? i just figured mine did not much at all.[/quote]
Seems to work ok on single notes up the dusty end (when turned up full), but what Machines said really.

ah, feel better about that, as i hadnt really noticed anything going on, but then i havent really played with it off either and i have the bright and deep switches on so there is probably a limited amount that the 10's can cope with :)
i just figured it was the only thing on the amp that didnt work considering the ashdown blurb says "truck loads of earth shattering tone", hopefully get a 15 soon so i'll see then.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='184645' date='Apr 24 2008, 07:40 AM']been nagging me for a while so i'll ask here, does anyone really notice the subharmonic generator with it on or do you really need something like a sub cab to get the effect from it? i just figured mine did not much at all.[/quote]

I use the ABM C115 500 Combo with the ABM210 cab. In a blues/classic rock/soul band I'm in I use the subharmonic generator most of the time. I keep it in the 8-9 o'clock position to just add a small amount of girth to my sound. Does anyone else notice it? I don't know, but I do.

It adds something to the sound but most people wouldn't know what it is.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='183846' date='Apr 23 2008, 06:39 AM']Earl Faulkner off UB40 had some sub thing that he stood on to "feel the bass". Only a few inches tall. I want one of those. Probably no help to you though, but there you go - the joy of forums.[/quote]

I think you may be looking for this...

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Buttkicker-BKP-Platform?sku=482257"]butt kicker platform[/url]

and this...

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Buttkicker-Concert-Sonic-Shaker?sku=482251"]butt kicker[/url]

Edited by bassguppy