Why become a member? ×

John Deacon's amp rig? Do we know anything?

fretmeister

I bought that record from a record shop in Newton Abott in Devon while we were down there for a month on holiday. I remember the pain of having wait a month to get home and play it but loved looking at all those pics in the gatefold. Loved Queen then and still do now.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1340776238' post='1709346']
If you're old enough to have bought Live Killers from 1979 in Gatefold sleeve LP form at then there is a pic of JD using a maple fretless precision and the reason I've lusted after one for years.

But what I meant in my earlier post is that we're probably hearing the Precision through the DI into the desk, completely bypassing whatever amps were on stage unless one or some of the cabs were mic'd up
[/quote]

I admire him for getting out as without Freddie there was no Queen anymore. Much as I loved Queen I wish that Brian May and Roger Taylor would just bugger off now!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1340916849' post='1711617']

He retired :(

Google says his Stingray is in the hard rock cafe in Ohio , Want!
[/quote]

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1340746515' post='1709179']
He did build a little amp in to an old hifi speaker that Brian May used for the very distinctive 'nasal' solo sound on early albums. A one off. However about....ummm .. ten years ago? Vox recreated the amp as the 'Vox Deacy' amp. I have also seen that a company on the internet were as best as possible trying to recreate the actual hifi speaker cabinet and electronics as faithfully as possible. Never seen one 'in the wild' though!
[/quote]

My brother builds Brian May 'copies' and has been testing the Deacy Hi-Fi amp for the company who is reproducing them. Really sweet tone. Nasal, as you said. Said company are trying to put all this into a stomp box. There are a few different versions of it.
It is just a hi-fi speaker with a bit of electronics. Roughly 3 watts, I think. All powered from a big 12 volt battery, the ones with the 2 springs on top.....
As John Deacon had a degree in Electronics, he was well qualified in that sort of stuff. Not a bad bass player too....

He's had a long career and retired. Fair play to him. I did read that he took Freddie's death particularly hard and I hope that he has managed to deal with that.

Maybe he plays in the house. Maybe he hasn't picked up a bass since the tribute gig. Doesn't matter. He always kept his private life private. Maybe he makes donations to music charities. Maybe he spends it on Yukka plants and tomato grow bags. Maybe he is actually the bloke on PS3 Modern Warfare 3 that I just can't beat!

Don't care. He's never been a "celeb" he's a professional musician who has managed to avoid all the usual crap. Everyone dreams of having a retirement with the freedom to do as you please. I find it refreshing that such a well known person has no interest in the vacuous nature of modern celebs.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1340745856' post='1709167']
Had no idea, which tracks are fretless Pete?

[/quote]

Radio Ga Ga and I'm Going Slightly Mad were both fretless. Great little bass break in Ga Ga, I always thought it was a synth or something.
He also played the fretless live in place of the double bass on '39 and My Melancholy Blues, I believe.

Just looking through this notation book and it has Bicycle race, Crazy little thing called love, Fat bottomed girls, I want it all, Play the game and The show must go on all as fretless tunes. Thats just from the selection in this book so I presume he was quite prolific with his use of fretless basses. :)

I'd love confirmation to satisfy my own intrigue. Really? All those songs were fretless? I'm prepared to be wrong, but I'm not sure myself and thought it was more a case that John played very little fretless at all. He sure could and very well. Just didn't think he played as much as the list would suggest. Cool if it is right though!

Thanks guys, would love to read more info'! :)

[quote name='geddeeee' timestamp='1341062101' post='1713361'] My brother builds Brian May 'copies' and has been testing the Deacy Hi-Fi amp for the company who is reproducing them. Really sweet tone. Nasal, as you said. Said company are trying to put all this into a stomp box. There are a few different versions of it. It is just a hi-fi speaker with a bit of electronics. Roughly 3 watts, I think. All powered from a big 12 volt battery, the ones with the 2 springs on top..... As John Deacon had a degree in Electronics, he was well qualified in that sort of stuff. Not a bad bass player too.... [/quote]

Excellent! Do you have any online links / info'? I'd love to read more!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1341251901' post='1715831']
I'd love confirmation to satisfy my own intrigue. Really? All those songs were fretless? I'm prepared to be wrong, but I'm not sure myself and thought it was more a case that John played very little fretless at all. He sure could and very well. Just didn't think he played as much as the list would suggest. Cool if it is right though!

Thanks guys, would love to read more info'! :)
[/quote]
I have just had a listen and Id say so, Its an official book I have too.

100%
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb-3seZSQ_Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb-3seZSQ_Q[/url]

100%
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t63_HRwdAgk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t63_HRwdAgk[/url]