Why become a member? ×

Jon Shuker Elite 6

Dood

Am I crazy?

Well.. yes...

Mucho thought has gone into this move and I am now ready to part with this very special bass.

Those who frequent the Bass GUitars thread will have seen my ramblings over having yet another 'rather spesh' instrument made for me. I have decided I want a bass to go with my 7 string 'Doodle' featured on the forum (just a little bit).

This is a very cool bass and, unlike my 7 string features no personalisations/carvings/name plates that would make it more difficult for a new owner to take on.

Apologies for the large pictures, but I really want you to see the detail that has gone into this A1 instrument.

You are looking at the following spec..

[b]NECK[/b] 7 piece wenge/maple slim laminate 'neck through' with a Rio rosewood (medium) fretted board. The neck features easy to see side markers.
The wings are a 3 piece laminate featuring matched slices of wenge faced with a layer of maple and a top of Buckeye Burl. If you look closely, you can see the maple as a single stripe around the edges, underneath the Burl facings.

Matched covers made from the same buckeye. The headstock features the same 'sandwich' layers, front and back to match the body.

[b]HARDWARE[/b] Gotoh Black hardware. Individual MonoRail bridge pieces (That apparently cut down on cross talk between strings??) well.. whatever.. it sounds amazing to my ears. Stays in tune and sustains for days.

The nut is a 2 piece brass / plastic layer for added strength.

Schaller strap lock buttons are fitted.

[b]ELECTRONICS[/b] two Seymour Duncan ASB Active Soapbars fed into a EMG 18 volt 3 band preamp. (bass / Mid & Sweep / Treble / Pan / Master Volume)

I have also had fitted an extra gain control 'under the hood' especially. This is to enable me to set the gain of this bass to match my others. No more fiddling with flippin gain controls!! - unplug one bass and pop the other on straight away. As it happens, the added stage has imporved the clarity of the bass tone too with NO added noise.. so.. double bonus.

The bass is incredibly light. I'm sure those who have played the bass at 'the bash' will agree.

[b]Build[/b] wise.. (and I will endeavour to be as impartial as possible considering) is easily as good as other boutique basses and the original price tag I would consider ridiculously low even for a new bass. Again, I would invite reviews from those who have played the bass.

I'd find it hard to describe the tone, but the Elite 6 neckthru is more than able to cover many styles. The SD soapbars are awesome and can handle HIFI Mark Kingism right through to woody oldskool.. I was doin' a bit of motown the other day!

Lets see some pics shall we?

Here is the link to my bass, on the Shuker Bass website.
[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/tngal.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/tngal.htm[/url]

and the link to the NeckThru spec lists. Any specs I have missed are featured here too! Oh.. yes 34" scale and 18mm spacing, so really comfy for those coming over from 4 and 5 string basses.. you aren't gonna get lost!

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/tnspec.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/tnspec.htm[/url]

[u][b]£1200 inc HardCase plus delivery[/b][/u]

All the best,

[b]Dan[/b]

Edited by dood

• 1 month later...

[b]Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard from Kevin 'bassplayer2106' who was last seen over at BassTalk? He has a deposit down on this bass, but I have tried contacting him via TalkBass, his phone and an email address I found on Google but I haven't heard anything.

I am sure he is ok n' everything, but it's odd that I haven't heard back from him considering this bass is waiting for his pickup.[/b]

[quote name='dood' post='30929' date='Jul 12 2007, 09:32 PM']Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard from Kevin 'bassplayer2106' who was last seen over at BassTalk? He has a deposit down on this bass, but I have tried contacting him via TalkBass, his phone and an email address I found on Google but I haven't heard anything.

I am sure he is ok n' everything, but it's odd that I haven't heard back from him considering this bass is waiting for his pickup.[/quote]

I'll just get my name changed to Kevin in the morning and I'll come pick up that baby tomorrow afternoon ok? lol

Well, in reality, the bass hasn't gone yet as Kev put down a deposit.
I have been advised on more than one occasion that my £1200 price tag is rather low for the quality of the bass.. yes, it really is TOTR!

However, should the bass go up for sale, I am willing to honour my 'mistake' and sell at the same price. A ridiculous bargain.

[b]UPDATE[/b]

I have had a reply back from Kevin. Lucky fella is out on tour at the moment! He is unable to come back to collect the bass.

Anyway, he has said that if I need to sell the bass then to 'carry on', so I am announcing that this fine example of Jon Shuker's workmanship is [b]back up for sale.[/b]

I have already had 2 offers and am waiting to hear back from those. In the event that they are unable to proceed, the bass is up for £1200 including hardcase.

Cheque/ Bank Transfer is adviseable. As is picking up the bass in person. Shipping plus insurance will be for full replacement value as this bass is a bit spesh, as you can see!

Thank you for your interest. This bass is way less than half of the new price ;o)

EDIT Still available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan

Further to our conversation on Friday, appologies again for not being able to get over to see you as intended and thanks for you being so understanding.

Let me know what happens this week and if the bass is still available I'll try and re-arrange to get over to see you soon...

Cheers

John