Why become a member? ×

WHAT SOUNDCONTROL RIG?

HarryPotter

[quote name='ped' post='184431' date='Apr 24 2008, 12:02 PM']So??[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
What!....Ronnie Jordan? ;)

An original AH 250 GP 11(immaculate condition/recently serviced/all 100%)with cover circa 1980s on Ebay sold for £190 Last week only a couple of miles away from me....... still gutted! :)

Edited by MB1

[quote name='andy67' post='184330' date='Apr 24 2008, 10:52 AM']the b series ampeg gear is pretty good especially th b410hlf.[/quote]

+1 i'm really impressed with my B410HLF.

if your local SC stores are as good as mine they like a good haggle
i got my B410HLF for £365.00
& my SVT3PRO for £669.00
12 months interest free--pretty damn good i thought.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='184593' date='Apr 24 2008, 04:01 PM']Just been into SC Newcastle and they have a used Peavey Firebass head (£199), 4x10tvx (£130) and 1x15 (£249). This all falls within your budget and I'm sure they can transport stock between stores easy enough![/quote]
Yeah anything that's not in stock but is in another store they'll transport it to your store for you free of charge, only thing is when i did this it took them 3 weeks to sort it, rather than the 4 days they quoted me.

[quote name='MB1' post='184448' date='Apr 24 2008, 12:26 PM']MB1. :huh:

An original AH 250 GP 11(immaculate condition/recently serviced/all 100%)with cover circa 1980s on Ebay sold for £190 Last week only a couple of miles away from me....... still gutted! :)[/quote]

Damn! Sorry to hear that mate.

Are you quite well up on Trace Elliot gear? I wouldn't mind finding out their 'timeline' as it were, I seem to remember reading something either here or on Talkbass.

Sorry for the Hijack!!

ped

[quote name='MB1' post='184448' date='Apr 24 2008, 12:26 PM']MB1. :huh:

An original AH 250 GP 11(immaculate condition/recently serviced/all 100%)with cover circa 1980s on Ebay sold for £190 Last week only a couple of miles away from me....... still gutted! :)[/quote]

Hee hee - I got one of them!! Awesome!

[quote name='ped' post='184810' date='Apr 24 2008, 08:24 PM']Damn! Sorry to hear that mate.

Are you quite well up on Trace Elliot gear? I wouldn't mind finding out their 'timeline' as it were, I seem to remember reading something either here or on Talkbass.

Sorry for the Hijack!!

ped[/quote]

talk to thornybank he knows his trace stuff and think he has a couple of ah250's

andy

Edited by andy67

Popped into my local SC tonight to see what they got.

Tried an ABM Ashdown Combo (2 X 10), an Ampeg Combo (2 X 10) and a Trace Combo (2 X 10)

To my ears using my fingers and using a precision the Ashdown was miles ahead of the others and looked cool too.

And I had got my heart set on the 'Ampeg' sound as well.

I'm gonna go back tomorrow and have another go before I make my mind up.

[quote name='ped' post='184827' date='Apr 24 2008, 08:41 PM']OK Cheers Andy - We were chatting the other day actually, he seems to have/have had a lot of Trace gear!![/quote]

Hey Ped,

I think the question to Thornybank would be: what dont you have?

he has so much cool things I cant even begin.

andy

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='184871' date='Apr 24 2008, 09:50 PM']Tried an ABM Ashdown Combo (2 X 10), an Ampeg Combo (2 X 10) and a Trace Combo (2 X 10)[/quote]

How did you find them different ? Am intrigued to see how other people interpret the differences :).

[quote name='Machines' post='185191' date='Apr 25 2008, 11:37 AM']How did you find them different ? Am intrigued to see how other people interpret the differences :).[/quote]

I do a lot with PA's etc. so I like to think I have fairly good ears (even though this is all subjective).

Basically the Ashdown gave me the sounds and tone that made me smile.

The Ampeg sounded very dead and lifeless to me (I'm sure the SVT stuff is truly awesome but this combo just didint float my boat at all) and the trace sounded too much like it wanted to be a guitar amp (very toppy as though the horn or tweeter - whichever it is - wanted to take over events too soon).

The Ashdown gave me that lovely gutteral punching popping sound that I want when I think 'amped up Precision'.

I am gonna go and give them another go this afternoon before I sign up for one (this is something I always do as what sounds good one day, may seem awful the next).

[quote name='ped' post='184810' date='Apr 24 2008, 08:24 PM']Damn! Sorry to hear that mate.

Sorry for the Hijack!!

ped[/quote]

MB1. :)
No Problem Ped!
Bought my first GP7 4x10 when they were still Soundwave wish i still had it.they then went on to be owned by kamen Industries,Gibson and now peavey.I had some custom gear made with Trace Elliot a SMX 1X15 Combo and a 2x10 cabinet both in red they were awesome looking.The best time for Trace was definately the eighties(endorsed by Mark King) i doubt they will ever enjoy such popularity again to be honest.

What a difference a day makes!

Went back today, loved the Ampeg tone after having a play with it in a side room, it was the tone I carry around with me in my head.

Couldn't get the Ashdown to give any clarity, the notes just got lost in the general sound.

I wonder if it was because I was in a smallish (10' X 10') room so it has no space to breathe?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='185500' date='Apr 25 2008, 06:43 PM']There's the rub. We all moan about having to try stuff with some spotty kid playing Smoke on the Water on thin strings, it gives you a much better idea of real world sound than playing on your own in some tiny booth.[/quote]

Went back again today, it was playin in the pantry that changed the sound so much.

Given that I tend to play in churches and halls etc. the Ashdown won out when it had some space to breathe.

That and the oodles of power it had :)

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='186130' date='Apr 26 2008, 07:49 PM']Went back again today, it was playin in the pantry that changed the sound so much.

Given that I tend to play in churches and halls etc. the Ashdown won out when it had some space to breathe.

That and the oodles of power it had :)[/quote]

So how's being a member of the Ashdown club?

I'll tell you when I actually get it - I didn't want the one in the store as it had been somewhat 'used'.

Looking forward to letting loose with it now I finally have something to give those orange valve amp powered g*******ts something to contend with (cue maniacal laughter).

[quote name='budget bassist' post='184137' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:34 PM']The bass guy in my local SC is mint, really friendly guy, we're actually on first name terms, it's just a shame SC as a company couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.[/quote]

BB, your in Nottingham arn't you? - if I'm right I know who you mean, it's his fault I play the Bass! he's by far the best one in there, legend.

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='189065' date='Apr 30 2008, 05:58 PM']Picked it up today.

And it's true about SC.

Much to my suprise they got my order wrong.

I know own the Evo III Combo and not the Evo II :huh:

And very very nice it is too[/quote]

Hehe, score 1 for you :)