Why become a member? ×

Korean Squier quality

plunkrock

Anybody here rocking a Korean Squier?

I was in need of a new bass after I kinda screwed up my old Ibanez SR300DX (trying to make it something other than sparkly purple) and I went to my local guitar shop to try a VM Jazz bass since I had been hearing so many great things about them.

Had a go of the VM and was suitably impressed when I noticed a second hand Squier hung up with the Fenders for £150, it wasn't in the best condition, the odd chip here and there and a chunk missing from the neck pickup (cosmetic only) but I picked it up and was blown away by how good quality it felt, the neck seemed quite wide for a jazz but it felt really solid in the hand.

Anyway, I picked up the bass and because I'm a bit of a tinkerer I had a look at the guts and I have been really impressed by the attention to detail with this, first of all I took off the pickguard and noticed the neck pickup is really neatly routed out instead of the massive canal I'm used to seeing. Next thing was taking out the control panel to find a really neat wiring job and a metal plate screwed to the bottom of the cavity, recently I was raising the pickups and noticed they have metal plates underneath too!

I've been replacing bits and bobs on this, replaced the bridge for a Gotoh 201 as I needed to restring it BEAD and I hope to replace the pickups soon but I was just wondering if anyone else has come across these? Feel like I got a pretty good deal!

Serial number on mine is E1020353 in silver which according to wikipedia means it was made by Young Chang in 1987-88 - almost the year I was made! (1986) :)

Yep, Ive got a mid-late 80's Korean Jazz bought new in around 87. Its by far the best playing and sounding bass Ive owned. Every tech Ive taken it to have praised it. Its been on many national tours back in the day without even a gig bag and is still going strong. I also have a Gotoh 201 and some Wizard 64's. Will never part with this bass!

I bought a Silver Series Squier made in Japan in 94. It sounds a bit like yours with a slightly wider neck than a normal Jazz. It also has the grounding plates. The pickups on it are the best Jazz pickups I've ever heard and have a much deeper sound than was on my Geddy Lee Jazz or 62 reissue. You've got a bargain there and if you do buy new pickups for it remember to keep the old ones as you may end up re-installing them.

Edited by gjones

I have a (n early?) 90s Korean Squier Jazz.

The pickups were ok, but not very good. The bridge pickup is the same size as the neck pickup, so a standard set will not fit without widening the cavity. I put some alnico Gotoh pickups I already had in there, and widened the cavity a bit with a chisel and a lot of care. The body turned out to be plywood... so it could crumble if not careful. I managed and it doesn't look bad unless you are really close looking for defects. Much better sounding now.

That's the negative part.

The positive?
Amazing neck.
I love that neck.
It just feels fantastic, and the whole bass feels and balances great.

So, I love my plywood Squier Jazz, what can I say?
And I paid considerably less than £150 for it.

• 1 year later...

The Korean Squiers really are very playable basses. I have one and played a 2 hour covers set with it recently.

Due to cutting down on my basses it is up for sale is anyone is interested in the 'basses for sale' section of Basschat:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212051-early-fender-squier-jazz-made-in-korea/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212051-early-fender-squier-jazz-made-in-korea/[/url]

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1341151735' post='1714335']
I have a '96 Korean Squier P and its a bloody corker...better than my old 2008 MIA!
[/quote]

I also have a 96 Korean P. The neck on it is fantastic.I got a tort plate for it, fitted SPB1 pick ups and chrome covers and it is great!

I`ve just picked up a 97 Korean Squier Precision to have as a backup. Not used it with my band yet, but first impressions are it plays well, and was easy enough to get a good working set-up on it. With any luck I`ll never need to use it, but I reckon it will be plenty good enough. Sounds a bit toppier than my US but not really surprised about that. Just got to change the white pickguard to tort now - so need a few washers as the pots on this are smaller than CTS ones - probably how they kept costs down. In fact scratch that, I`ll change the pots, capacitor & jack while I`m at it.

I've gigged with a Korean '96 Jazz (CN Serial) for the past two years, at the risk of sounding like everyone else the neck really is brilliant, it's the best I've played in terms of comfort.
It's quite a heavy bass as well, I suspect that the body is made from several layers of laminate however I've not had a proper investigation yet.

Glad you like your new bass anyway.

I got a '91 Samick-built Korean Squier P this week and have been very pleased overall.

Yes, it has a plywood body. It's actually a pretty light bass though, and sounds gorgeous. All woody and nice. I'd never guess it was ply if I didn't know.
The Schaller-designed tuners are on their last legs and they are probably the only thing I shall change, although I may possibly toy with pickups, just out of habit I suppose !
The neck is a fairly standard 41mm nut P neck and feels nice in the hand. Feels like a nicer piece of wood than modern MIM necks. Reminds me of a Mighty Mite neck actually. The fretwork, however, was not particularly amazing although I have improved it significantly by taking down a couple of high frets. Now it is a very playable and lovely sounding P. Total cost so far - £110. Bargain !

• 5 years later...

I bought my white Korean Squier Jazz in about '86. It's as heavy as any of my modern Fender basses, plays brilliantly still and is my go to bass after all these years - and I have 7 other basses including a 4001s, 1969 Hofner violin, Fender P, Fender J, Ashbory, the Tony Levin OLP and my latest addition, the Epiphone Rumblekat - which is an absolutely fantastic guitar. But still it's my first lucky purchase that's my go to 

2 hours ago, DesiB said:

I bought my white Korean Squier Jazz in about '86. It's as heavy as any of my modern Fender basses, plays brilliantly still and is my go to bass after all these years - and I have 7 other basses including a 4001s, 1969 Hofner violin, Fender P, Fender J, Ashbory, the Tony Levin OLP and my latest addition, the Epiphone Rumblekat - which is an absolutely fantastic guitar. But still it's my first lucky purchase that's my go to 

Zombie thread. If your squier is from 86 then it's not Korean. Korean squires started in late 80s!